Author Topic: Getting swept..........no prob!  (Read 2162 times)

Offline BH34Natural

Re: Getting swept..........no prob!
« Reply #25: June 18, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
Wasn't that long ago we all swooned at the thought of Zim and Morse back in the lineup.

They need to be hitting like 5-6 or 6-7 until they get it going.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #26: June 18, 2012, 10:42:28 AM »
Those few post a lot.

I'm learning to maintain my sanity by staying out of gameday threads.

Not like it ever matters, but as always I take exception to this gross mischaracterization of the forum populace based on the posts of a few.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #27: June 18, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »
A couple of them won't be joining us anymore.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #28: June 18, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »
Not like it ever matters, but as always I take exception to this gross mischaracterization of the forum populace based on the posts of a few.

Co-sign playboy.

Here's what I don't understand - why do people take any of the following posters seriously at all, especially in gameday threads:

- Sportsfan
- GOON
- MarquisDeSade
- InsaneBoast

If you someone can give me a serious, reasonable response why you would get worked up over any GDT posts they make I'll buy you a Strasburger at the next game.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #29: June 18, 2012, 10:54:30 AM »
Since Boswell will be on the Washington Post chat in a few minutes, would somebody ask him about the play at the plate and instant reply ?

Bos, the voice of reason :clap:

If we don't go at least 3-3 this week then it will be time to panic. In the meantime, we are 4 games up and let's keep kicking ass. :clap:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: June 18, 2012, 10:55:05 AM »
Even the complaining about Michael Morse I think is a bit much.  He had a 5 game hitting streak broken up yesterday.  the power isn't there yet, but he's basically doing his spring training against midseason MLB staffs.  Sure, I would be OK with flip-flopping him and maybe Desmond for a game or two, but I will not be all :hang: for another couple of weeks.  He's not gotten a hit in 3 of his last 12 games, which is OK.  his worst series was v. Boston, and that really did not cost the Nats anything.  Disappointing he could not put a charge into one the past couple of days, but what he is doing barely qualifies as a slump.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #31: June 18, 2012, 10:56:42 AM »
Are you people really freaking out this bad over getting swept by the best team in baseball (yes the Yanks are better than the Dodgers)?

How do some of you make it through a baseball season? Knowing that even if your team is one of the better ones you're still going to lose probably 70 times.

Reminds me of what hall-of-fame NFL coach Don Shula once said - he could never be a baseball manager because he couldn't understand losing 60-70 matches and still qualifying for post-season.

It's an indicator of how deeply ingrained in our overall sports mentality football is - we're too locked-on to the 16-match season to develop a complete sense of perspective about sports with longer seasons. One loss is a tragedy...two losses is reason for major panic...three losses is the end of civilisation as we know it.

But back to the original subject: when a team is going spectacularly well, winning beyond what just about anyone had predicted for it...sometimes an occurrence like this past season's sweep could be just the wake-up call the team needs. The 2012 Nationals are good but they're still far from perfect (situational hitting, anyone?).

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #32: June 18, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
I was just reading yesterday's GDT and it struck me that I was reading some incredibly stupid garbage from some screeching douchebags that i hadn't had to endure for a while...that's when I noticed that I wasn't logged on (and therefore "ignore" was not functioning)  :idiot:

If I had to sit next to one of those leg-humping pants terriers on a long flight I would be tearing madly at the hatch to throw myself out of the plane.   

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #33: June 18, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
:icon_question:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #35: June 18, 2012, 11:51:29 AM »
Yeah, this.  To me, though I would have much preferred to have a sweep go the other way, I think there's a lot to learn from this.  The team has to feel a little bit like they were weighed, measured and found wanting and I think they should.  Bryce looked (mostly) like a 19-year-old playing the NY Yankees.  Zim and Morse looked like a deer in the headlights most of the weekend, and they all looked like they were having a hard time dealing with 41,000+ in the stands.

That said, they're a couple bad calls and Brad Lidge away from winning at least one or two of those.  It reminds me, actually, of the Dodgers series out in LA - the Nats are not one of the best three teams in the league, but they're right on the doorstep.  No reason to feel bad about it, and plenty of reason for optimism.  Hopefully, they learn something from this, so when it gets to October, they are better ready to handle the moment.

Agreed.  Hopefully they learned something this weekend and it makes them a better team down the road.

I still hated seeing all the Yankee hats around town.  Would have been nice to smack them down a notch.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #36: June 18, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
I was just reading yesterday's GDT and it struck me that I was reading some incredibly stupid garbage from some screeching douchebags that i hadn't had to endure for a while...that's when I noticed that I wasn't logged on (and therefore "ignore" was not functioning)  :idiot:

If I had to sit next to one of those leg-humping pants terriers on a long flight I would be tearing madly at the hatch to throw myself out of the plane.   

:lmao:

POST OF THE YEAR.

Offline RL04

« Reply #37: June 18, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »
More than the Yankee sweep of the Nats, I'm concerned with the lack of hitting from our "big guns" in the middle of the line-up.  Neither Zimmerman nor Morse are scaring anyone except maybe themselves.   

This.

I'm not trying to be a doom and gloom guy but our record so far is based on a lot of smoke and mirrors and great pitching.

We still can't hit for sh*t.

Maybe, at least, the Nats got to watch a lineup with guys that know how to hit in clutch situations.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #38: June 18, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »
Co-sign playboy.

Here's what I don't understand - why do people take any of the following posters seriously at all, especially in gameday threads:

- Sportsfan
- GOON
- MarquisDeSade
- InsaneBoast

If you someone can give me a serious, reasonable response why you would get worked up over any GDT posts they make I'll buy you a Strasburger at the next game.

I want a Strasburger so I'll give it a shot....

I think it was Joe DiMaggio who once said the reason he played hard every day was because you never knew if there was someone in the stands watching for the first time and he didn't want too leave the impression he didn't try hard. 

Well, we do have quite a few new posters with the recent success of the team and so those guys might not know you intentionally troll or that sportsfan is a moron or that InsaneBoost is a douche.  I have no opinion on GOON yet since he/she is relatively new.  So I guess the moral of the story is post how you want to post, but there are those who may come here for serious discussion and if they are confused by your posting habits you probably shouldn't whine about it.

Now I'm hungry...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #39: June 18, 2012, 12:16:03 PM »

Serious question:   How is the determination made.   Is it unilateral?   Do the mods pow-wow and take the pulse of the board?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #40: June 18, 2012, 01:17:07 PM »
Co-sign playboy.

- Sportsfan
- GOON
- MarquisDeSade
- InsaneBoast

Ummm ... but how can we take your serious post seriously if you're saying that you can't be taken seriously

Does not compute ...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #41: June 18, 2012, 01:41:32 PM »
Everything I say is a lie

wait ... what?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #42: June 18, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »
I feel sort of bad for asking this (and it might be slightly off topic) but I wasn't able to catch the last two games...

What really cost us the last two games? I saw Friday's game and it really seamed that bringing out Lidge was a big reason why we lost (so I was glad to hear we got DFA'd). The offense had been on fire before this series so is it just the law of averages working its course or the defense falling behind?

I am not too worried about these losses, we were going to lose some eventually, just wondering what happened and why everyone isn't freaking out.

Online Slateman

« Reply #43: June 18, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »
I feel sort of bad for asking this (and it might be slightly off topic) but I wasn't able to catch the last two games...

What really cost us the last two games? I saw Friday's game and it really seamed that bringing out Lidge was a big reason why we lost (so I was glad to hear we got DFA'd). The offense had been on fire before this series so is it just the law of averages working its course or the defense falling behind?

I am not too worried about these losses, we were going to lose some eventually, just wondering what happened and why everyone isn't freaking out.

Ask the Braves and Red Sox what a series in June cost them in September

Offline JdoubleU

« Reply #44: June 18, 2012, 02:01:02 PM »
I don't think the sky is falling after the weekend, but you do want your bats to be more competitive. How will they fare against the Rays, who have a much better pitching staff IMHO.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #45: June 18, 2012, 02:02:31 PM »

They went down to the wire and lost. 

What really cost us the last two games?

A blown call at the plate on Saturday and just lack of offense yesterday.  If Zimmerman doesn't get it together soon it's going to be a loooooooooooong season.

just wondering what happened and why everyone isn't freaking out.

Just panic monkeys.  Pay them no mind the Nasty Nats will rebound and continue kicking ass and taking names.

Offline Galah

• 2016 - the year that everything changed, again.
« Reply #46: June 18, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

Ask the Cardinals what getting swept 4 games (by the Nats) in July cost them last year?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #47: June 18, 2012, 02:04:54 PM »
Ask the Cardinals what getting swept 4 games (by the Nats) in July cost them last year?

:thumbs:

Online Slateman

« Reply #48: June 18, 2012, 02:14:50 PM »

It meant that they had to get extremely lucky

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
« Reply #49: June 18, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »
Yeah it sucks getting swept upon, but as has been said we didn't lose much ground since the rest of the division lost as well, unfortunately it was all interleague play. Fortunately if you look at how we have faired with the rest of the division except for getting swept by the Fish we have the least amount of loses within the division. The Mets look to be the only ones with more wins (2) in the division.

We are still #1 in NL East and still have the least amount of runs scored against in the entire LEAGUE. <-Is that right? Wow cool.