Author Topic: Storen return watch  (Read 609 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Storen return watch
« Topic Start: June 17, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
Time to start getting excited about Storen's impending return.  He says he is ahead of schedule:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120617&content_id=33453080&notebook_id=33453082&vkey=notebook_was&c_id=was

Storen building arm strength during rehab
WASHINGTON -- Drew Storen threw 30 pitches off a mound three times last week, and he expects to do the same this week while increasing his pitch count. He is throwing only at a 75-percent effort level as he attempts to build arm strength after April surgery to remove bone chips from his right elbow.

The 24-year-old closer remains on pace for a return around the All-Star break.

"I haven't had any pain and it feels like it's getting stronger every day, so there's legitimate improvement," Storen said. "The last bullpen I threw [Friday] was probably the best I felt. I'm feeling really good, my command is good and my mechanics are still there. I'm very happy with where I'm at."

Doctors targeted an All-Star break return for Storen as soon as he had surgery, but Storen said he is actually progressing ahead of schedule.

He expects to work his pitch count up to 50-60 pitches at a lower effort level, even though he never threw more than 35 pitches in a game in two years in Washington. He plays catch or long tosses every day between bullpen sessions.

"It's kind of one those things where you have to be able to jog before you sprint," Storen said. "I have to be able to get that arm strength up, and that's what you do with 50-percent bullpens for 50 pitches ... before you start giving max effort."

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Storen return watch
« Reply #1: June 17, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Hope he learned to hit during his time off.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: June 17, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
I don't expect Storen back until August if at all.

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #3: June 17, 2012, 05:02:50 PM »

Based on what?

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: June 17, 2012, 05:22:04 PM »

No reason to rush him. It's not the starting pitching and the set up and closer that's the problem

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #5: June 17, 2012, 09:01:38 PM »
It's the last middle reliever who is, and that guy gets cut/demoted when he returns

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #6: June 18, 2012, 01:24:16 AM »

Doctors say he should be back by mid-July (ASB), but he's ahead of schedule reportedly, and you said "August if at all"? It's one thing to be a realist but you seem to be being negative just to be negative.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: June 18, 2012, 03:30:41 AM »
Yeah SF and PC don't have crap on me.   :idiot:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #8: June 18, 2012, 07:33:50 AM »
No reason to rush him. It's not the starting pitching and the set up and closer that's the problem

He's going to to rush himself back. In previous years with the team losing a ton of games, who wanted to come back from the DL to a bad team with a bad clubhouse. Now, the team is winning and the clubhouse seems in good shape. So, players want to be here. Nice, for a change.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #9: June 18, 2012, 09:04:29 AM »
He's going to to rush himself back. In previous years with the team losing a ton of games, who wanted to come back from the DL to a bad team with a bad clubhouse. Now, the team is winning and the clubhouse seems in good shape. So, players want to be here. Nice, for a change.

Let's just hope he doesn't rush back a la Luis Ayala, who similarly had bone spurs removed from his elbow before returning too soon, only to blow out the whole thing.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #10: June 18, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »
Let's just hope he doesn't rush back a la Luis Ayala, who similarly had bone spurs removed from his elbow before returning too soon, only to blow out the whole thing.

That happened playing for Mexico right?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #11: June 18, 2012, 11:56:04 AM »
Give Storen time. The Nats need hitting sooner than they need their One True Closer

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: June 18, 2012, 04:31:05 PM »
That happened playing for Mexico right?

Yes.  Nats even protested to MLB and were overruled.   Still torques me off, Ayala was a terrific setup guy before going down.

:bang:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: June 21, 2012, 06:06:49 PM »
Kolko says Storen at 85-90% now, faces live hitters tomorrow for the first time.