Author Topic: Edwin Jackson - The Forgotten One?  (Read 8827 times)

Offline spit

Re: Edwin Jackson - The Forgotten One?
« Reply #50: June 12, 2012, 04:43:04 PM »
Has he publicly said anything this year about wanting to stay or even just liking DC?

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #51: June 12, 2012, 04:52:55 PM »
Yes. I recall him saying he wants to be back but I don't remember the details.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #52: June 12, 2012, 05:32:07 PM »
If he's willing to stay for 3 years 30-36 million we should sign him.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #53: June 12, 2012, 05:35:46 PM »
If he's willing to stay for 3 years 30-36 million we should sign him.

He turned down 3/30 before signing with the Nats for 1/11.  Don't think he's going to accept an offer he already turned down after the year he's having.  I really do think he's going to look for 5/60 or more and at that price, I'd rather go a little higher and go for Greinke.

And none of this should impact our ability to keep ZNN long-term.  Hand him Gio's deal and write his name on it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #54: June 12, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »
I am willing to issue a full mea culpa to Edwin Jackson.  I opposed the signing as I believed he'd never amount to much of anything.

I am sorry Edwin and I hope you continue to prove me wrong.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #55: June 12, 2012, 09:49:24 PM »
He turned down 3/30 before signing with the Nats for 1/11.  Don't think he's going to accept an offer he already turned down after the year he's having.  I really do think he's going to look for 5/60 or more and at that price, I'd rather go a little higher and go for Greinke.

And none of this should impact our ability to keep ZNN long-term.  Hand him Gio's deal and write his name on it.

Yeah but he didn't spend all year w/ STL last year, i know he won the world series there, but he'll w/ us the whole season & he must see the potential on this team he could take the 1 mil a year raise signs for 3/36 mil.

We need a number 4 to go w/ our big 3 let Detwiller fill the 5th spot. Jacksons gonna be cheaper than Grienke & the money saved can go to a CF.

Offline Hogie

« Reply #56: June 13, 2012, 01:02:24 AM »

Jacksons gonna be cheaper than Grienke & the money saved can go to a CF.

Guys like Bourn and Upton will likely be way overpaid this offseason. However, there IS a guy in Minnesota who has signed an extremely team-friendly deal and can most likely be had. Oh, and his career triple slash is better than Bourn's across the board.

Then just go spend THOSE savings on Greinke!

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #57: June 13, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »
Yeah but he didn't spend all year w/ STL last year, i know he won the world series there, but he'll w/ us the whole season & he must see the potential on this team he could take the 1 mil a year raise signs for 3/36 mil.

Guaranteed extra $24 million > "likes the team and sees the potential."  If there's a 5/60 or 4/50 offer out there to be had, he'd be a fool not to take it.  $24 million guaranteed isn't to be sneezed at.

And as much as I love what he's doing, his career numbers say this isn't who he is.  He's walking far fewer and has a .231 BABIP against - maybe he's turned a corner, but maybe that's not sustainable, either.  And even if this IS who he is, Greinke's still better at the same age.  Don't get me wrong, I love what he's doing, and think (and thought) it was one of Rizzo's better moves, but I don't love him as a long-term solution.  I don't hate him either, but I'd want to take a run at Greinke before caving to what I think will be a big offer.

As for CF, I don't think you can resolve that until you figured out what you're doing with 1b and Lombo.  If you bring back LaRoche, then you're pretty much locking out CF options - Morse, Harper and Werth all have to play, so you're looking at Harper as your long-term CF.  If you don't, then you can move Morse to 1b, but need to decide what to do with Lombo before you bring in an everyday CF.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #58: June 13, 2012, 10:28:46 AM »
Guys like Bourn and Upton will likely be way overpaid this offseason. However, there IS a guy in Minnesota who has signed an extremely team-friendly deal and can most likely be had. Oh, and his career triple slash is better than Bourn's across the board.

Then just go spend THOSE savings on Greinke!

I'd love to have Span at the top of this lineup.

In fact, if you can build a trade around Clippard (who will want to close now that he has gotten a taste of it) and say someone like Michael Taylor or Destin Hood... I'd jump at the chance to make the deal.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #59: June 13, 2012, 10:32:25 AM »
Just because a player is good does not mean the team has to sign him to a long-term contract. Many baseball fans do not understand this concept. I have cheered for Edwin Jackson in two different uniforms, and have defended him vociferously against critics of his game.

But he will be extremely expensive on the FA market, and the Nationals can better use that money elsewhere. Saying "the Nationals shouldn't re-sign him" is not the same as saying he sucks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: June 13, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »
I'd love to have Span at the top of this lineup.

Werth to right, Harper to left, goodbye to laroche?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #61: June 13, 2012, 01:33:17 PM »
Werth to right, Harper to left, goodbye to laroche?

Provided Morse gets all the way back, I'd be o.k. with that.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #62: June 13, 2012, 01:37:33 PM »
Provided Morse gets all the way back, I'd be o.k. with that.

Definitely good bye to LaRoche.

Jackson + LaRoche's salaries would pay for Grienke.
Trade for Span
Morse/Moore/Marrero at first base

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #63: June 13, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
You guys are nuts to think getting Grienke would be good for the Nats

Definitely good bye to LaRoche.

Jackson + LaRoche's salaries would pay for Grienke.
Trade for Span
Morse/Moore/Marrero at first base

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #64: June 13, 2012, 02:06:20 PM »
Next year we have Zimmermann, Gio, Stras, Detwiler, and Lannan (maybe) under contract- I don't see the need to sign another ace to a mega deal

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #65: June 13, 2012, 02:08:18 PM »
You guys are nuts to think getting Grienke would be good for the Nats

How is it bad?

Next year we have Zimmermann, Gio, Stras, Detwiler, and Lannan (maybe) under contract- I don't see the need to sign another ace to a mega deal

Really? Lannan will be dealt at the deadline for salary relief.

Strasburg
Gio
Grienke
Zimmermann
Detwiler

Awesome rotation. Might even be able to work Stammen in as the long reliever if Kimball comes back healthy.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #66: June 13, 2012, 02:13:08 PM »
Looks nice, but I really don't like having pitchers signed to huge deals- we already have a top three that's more than good enough- I'd rather see them make an attempt to lock up Zimmermann

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #67: June 13, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
Jackson is a much stronger pitcher than Grienke

How is it bad?

Strasburg
Gio
Grienke
Zimmermann
Detwiler

Awesome rotation. Might even be able to work Stammen in as the long reliever if Kimball comes back healthy.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #68: June 13, 2012, 02:19:25 PM »
Looks nice, but I really don't like having pitchers signed to huge deals- we already have a top three that's more than good enough- I'd rather see them make an attempt to lock up Zimmermann

I disagree- you're one TJ surgery/rotator cuff/etc. away from a good two.  This rotation looks a lot different when you shut down Stras or lose EJ and Wang to free agency. Lannan's done pitching for the Nats.  If you've got the $$, there's no way Greinke makes the team worse, and having Stras, Gio, ZNN, Harper, Zimm, Espi, Desmond all signed to reasonable/below-market deals gives you the chance to spend on another piece. 

Especially given Rizzo's desire to want to build around pitching and defense, I think the four aces strategy is probably the best one to go after. 

And I've said above and I mean that in no way do I see an attempt to go after Greinke in conflict with locking up ZNN.  Do both.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #69: June 13, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »
You're always 1 injury away from a depleted rotation, the difference would be that with Greinke, you'd still be paying him for another six years

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #70: June 13, 2012, 02:32:17 PM »

Wrong.  Factually incorrect.

At every age, Greinke has had a lower ERA, had a higher K/9, a lower BB/9, and a higher WAR.  Except for his age 22 season, Greinke has had a lower FIP at every age than EJ.  His career ERA is .5 runs lower, his career WHIP is lower, his career strikeouts are higher, he gives up less HR per 9 innings.

Don't get me wrong - none of this is a knock on EJ - he's a good, good pitcher and looks great as our #4.  Greinke is simply MUCH better and it's not close.  In every way Jackson is good, Greinke is better.  To say that he isn't is either masterful trolling, or the biggest mindfact of them all. 

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #71: June 13, 2012, 02:33:34 PM »
You're always 1 injury away from a depleted rotation, the difference would be that with Greinke, you'd still be paying him for another six years

To quote MDS, who gives a rat's ass?   ;)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #72: June 13, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »
He's also going to take more years and much more money- since when did we become the Yankees (or even a middle of the road spender)?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #73: June 13, 2012, 02:37:26 PM »

No.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #74: June 13, 2012, 02:38:11 PM »

So, you agree our rotation next year will be worse than this years, correct?