Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP  (Read 142391 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Follow the Prospects: Lucas Giolito, RHP
« Reply #1175: March 03, 2016, 05:03:41 PM »
He was quiet, Strasburg-eque.

10:45     We missed it.    That's why I mentioned the site.    I heard the announcement at the gym (headset was tuned in) and when I got home, it was gone.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #1176: March 03, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »
He was quiet, Strasburg-eque.

Confirmed. Giolito mentally weak.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1177: March 03, 2016, 08:55:24 PM »
 :hysterical:
 We'll see. I think Stras breaks out this year.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #1178: March 04, 2016, 09:22:06 AM »

If anything, he's the anti-Strasburg. He seems very calm, cool, and relaxed (especially for a guy who's that age & hasn't played at the ML level), unlike Stras who still seems nervous.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1181: April 13, 2016, 08:52:56 AM »
Love that 60 pitch count.
4 inning starts to mid-May while he works on control a bit and dominates AA, to be stretched for a couple of starts in AAA out to 6 IP (at least one at home in Syracuse to reward the affiliate), then the call up with plenty of bullets still in his arm.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
« Reply #1182: April 13, 2016, 09:39:00 AM »
4 inning starts to mid-May while he works on control a bit and dominates AA, to be stretched for a couple of starts in AAA out to 6 IP (at least one at home in Syracuse to reward the affiliate), then the call up with plenty of bullets still in his arm.

Yup. I'm a little surprised they didn't delay him in extended ST. I doubt he'll go more than ~170-180 IP this season, so 4 IP in AA for 5 games + 6 IP in AAA for 9/10 (no way he's up before June 15) leaves around 100 IP for the rest of the ML season. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Offline expofan

Is it true that gio and Lopez not hitting 90 mph on Harrisburg radar yet this year? 

Offline Mr Clean

Is it true that gio and Lopez not hitting 90 mph on Harrisburg radar yet this year? 
As far as Giolito is concerned you are correct--he is not hitting 90---he's hitting 98.

http://www.talknats.com/2016/04/30/around-nats-minor-leagues-firsthand/

Offline expofan

Glad to hear that. I was worried after reading some twitter posts.

Offline AR

Think the twitter was referring to A. Williams, was a bit confusing.

Offline AR

Having said that, both Lopez and Gio are doing less than expected so far. Prob good for them for the long term to face trouble... Gio is not killing AA so others to be called before him if need an emergency pitcher in the BIGS. Lopez, hope they will keep him as a starter as long as possible and if he does not work out then switch to reliever.

Offline Slateman

Lopez is going to take years

Online Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
Looking at our starting rotation. Scherzer, Ross, and Strasburg will be rotation mainstays all season. Let's say Gio Gonzalez, even after regression, is solid and Roark is a workable fifth starter. Barring injury, where does Giolito break in this season? I assumed Gio or Roark would be awful but there's hope that won't happen. I'd love if the Nats could keep Giolito's innings count low and not bring him up except for a cup of coffee in September. Obviously a long term injury down the road could force him up but I'm guessing a short, 15 day DL hole in the rotation would be a Taylor Jordan or AJ Cole call up.

Thoughts?

Offline Truconfidence

I think Voth is first up now

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Looking at our starting rotation. Scherzer, Ross, and Strasburg will be rotation mainstays all season. Let's say Gio Gonzalez, even after regression, is solid and Roark is a workable fifth starter. Barring injury, where does Giolito break in this season? I assumed Gio or Roark would be awful but there's hope that won't happen. I'd love if the Nats could keep Giolito's innings count low and not bring him up except for a cup of coffee in September. Obviously a long term injury down the road could force him up but I'm guessing a short, 15 day DL hole in the rotation would be a Taylor Jordan or AJ Cole call up.

Thoughts?
IF there's no need in the rotation, then there's a chance they Blake Snell him and keep him down for a couple of weeks next year until 5 starters are needed.

Offline houston-nat

Thoughts?

Sure - there's research showing that even the best teams with the most solid rotations need 6+ starters in a year. Look at how clutch John Lannan was in 2012 in six starts. The 2015 Mets had 19 starts by guys who weren't in their starting 5, including Steven Matz. So you could see Giolito arrive for a minor 15-day injury, or in September, or just one of those weeks where nobody's on the right rest and they need a spot. I agree with you that the first 2-3 spot starts are likely to be lesser arms, but they probably would be okay with a Baby Gio stint in July/Aug if they need somebody to pitch 3 games while someone rehabs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Sure - there's research showing that even the best teams with the most solid rotations need 6+ starters in a year. Look at how clutch John Lannan was in 2012 in six starts. The 2015 Mets had 19 starts by guys who weren't in their starting 5, including Steven Matz. So you could see Giolito arrive for a minor 15-day injury, or in September, or just one of those weeks where nobody's on the right rest and they need a spot. I agree with you that the first 2-3 spot starts are likely to be lesser arms, but they probably would be okay with a Baby Gio stint in July/Aug if they need somebody to pitch 3 games while someone rehabs.
Just don't call him "Taylor."

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
IF there's no need in the rotation, then there's a chance they Blake Snell him and keep him down for a couple of weeks next year until 5 starters are needed.

Sure, but how often do you not lose at least 1 starter throughout the year? If it's a minor injury, Voth/Taylors. Big one, Giolito

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats

Nailed it.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Sure, but how often do you not lose at least 1 starter throughout the year? If it's a minor injury, Voth/Taylors. Big one, Giolito
Well, we have the 3 Taylors (Hill, Jordan, Cole) for spot starts.  Those guys get spot starts first, I think.  I don't imagine the Nats insert him for a spot start until perhaps sometime in September.  If someone goes on the DL for a period or is shutdown, then maybe you see Giolito get a long term look in the 2d half of the year.  On the other hand, spot starts don't really burn any significant service time, so you could see him added and sent back down, but then you would need to keep him in the minors until late April to avoid a clock issue.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace

Lol

John Lannan

Offline monkeyhit

Well, we have the 3 Taylors (Hill, Jordan, Cole) for spot starts.  Those guys get spot starts first, I think.  I don't imagine the Nats insert him for a spot start until perhaps sometime in September.  If someone goes on the DL for a period or is shutdown, then maybe you see Giolito get a long term look in the 2d half of the year.  On the other hand, spot starts don't really burn any significant service time, so you could see him added and sent back down, but then you would need to keep him in the minors until late April to avoid a clock issue.

Agree. Luke has a long way to go before proving himself even at the aa/AAA level, let alone coming up this year and contributing.

Offline Slateman

Nats need a closer