Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30567 times)

Offline nobleisthyname

Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #425: July 20, 2012, 09:44:19 PM »
I'm betting we see a few more shots, then he gets surgery in the offseason with a projected return in late may/early June 2013. If the team somehow tanks and is out of the race in late August, he won't play anymore this season and will get surgery earlier for a ST return.

The suggested potential offseason surgery was for bone chips which would only take a couple of months to rehab from. He should be back for ST next season either way.

Offline santanaf

« Reply #426: July 20, 2012, 09:51:50 PM »
The suggested potential offseason surgery was for bone chips which would only take a couple of months to rehab from. He should be back for ST next season either way.

Call me skeptical, but I think they'll "find" something they need to take care of that goes beyond the bone spurs. I really hope not, he's one of my favorite players, but I won't be shocked if this happens.

Offline Once an Expos Fan

• Nos Amours
« Reply #427: July 21, 2012, 10:55:18 AM »
Nothing. Nothing is wrong.

:D

Offline nobleisthyname

« Reply #428: July 21, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »
Call me skeptical, but I think they'll "find" something they need to take care of that goes beyond the bone spurs. I really hope not, he's one of my favorite players, but I won't be shocked if this happens.

Oh me neither. I just wasn't sure if you were aware of what the reported situation was so I was just clarifying.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #429: July 21, 2012, 12:17:23 PM »
Oh me neither. I just wasn't sure if you were aware of what the reported situation was so I was just clarifying.

Have the initial reports ever been right with a Zimmerman injury?

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #430: July 23, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/gl.cgi?id=zimmery01&t=b&year=

On June 23, one month ago today, Zimmerman's OPS was .590.  He has raised that number over 200 points in just one month's time and it now stands at .801.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #431: July 23, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #432: July 23, 2012, 01:51:36 PM »
Zim has always been a Super streaky hitter.

Man, it's fun to watch him when he's on a tear. He hits everything.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #433: July 23, 2012, 01:52:37 PM »
.392/.451/.804 since cortisone injection

Offline Hogie

« Reply #434: July 23, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »
If he would just stay healthy, he'll have 200 career HRs before he turns 30.

And then he should just go ahead and be Paul Konerko in his 30s.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #435: July 23, 2012, 11:48:55 PM »
Ryan Zimmerman was just named National League Player of the Week.

Time to mothball this thread.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #436: July 23, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »
It's Ryan Mother freaking Zimmerman.

You put him in the lineup every day until his arm falls off or he asks to go on the DL.

I don't care if he hit .200, you keep him in the middle of the lineup all season. I will never trust a player more than I do Ryan Zimmerman with the bat in his hands in a big situation.

He's due. He'll tell the Nationals when it's time for him to take some time off, not vice versa. If any med staff tries to pressure him, then fire them.
I ALWAYS BELIEVED!!!!!

Online Slateman

« Reply #437: July 24, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
He still should have been bumped down before the cortisone shot.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #438: July 24, 2012, 08:51:13 AM »
He still should have been cortisone shot before being bumped down.

Offline PC

« Reply #439: September 14, 2012, 10:36:10 AM »
Ryan Zimmerman continues to erase slow, painful beginning: ‘that was a trying time’
By James Wagner , Updated: September 14, 2012

Following Wednesday’s 2-0 win over the Mets, Nationals veteran utility man Mark DeRosa turned to Ryan Zimmerman and said, “You made it back.” It’s a remark that has been uttered several times already about Zimmerman since late June. But with every passing game, hit and home run, Zimmerman is making his turnaround since his dreadful early slump feel even more dramatic.

After starting the season slowly, dealing with a shoulder injury that was root of his slump and receiving a magical cortisone shot on June 24 that erased the pain and struggles at the plate, Zimmerman has been on a rampage. He can be a streaky hitter but he demolished the ball in July. He’s again on a tear, homering in four of his past five games. It seems absurd to think that the third baseman was hitting .218 with three home runs and 22 RBI nearly three months into the season. Now, when Zimmerman looks up at the scoreboard and see his production — .287, 22 home runs and 84 RBI — he can smile.

“I made it back to where I guess it’s respectable now,” Zimmerman said. “But that was a trying time, I guess you could say. It was one of those things where I didn’t want to play but I knew I was banged up but I was good enough to play. You kind of compound that with struggling a little bit and it kind of snowballed. That was about as tough a six-week stretch as I’ve ever had in my career. To be able to look up there now and know I’ve been able to battle back from that, and more importantly, can actually help the team win now, I’m pretty proud of it.”

Since the beginning of the Nationals’ long 11-game homestand and the three-game series in New York, Zimmerman is hitting .333 (18 for 54) with six home runs, 17 RBI and six walks. He has driven in at least a run in for nine straight games, a Nationals/Expos record and tied for the longest in baseball this season. He is riding a 16-game hitting streak, the longest current one in the NL. And even though he missed two weeks in late April and May because of inflammation in his right AC joint, he is third on the Nationals in home runs and second in RBI. He has been a potent run-producing force behind leadoff hitters Jayson Werth and Bryce Harper.

“I’m okay with the slow starts,” said Zimmerman on Wednesday. “But not being able to swing the bat and do the things health-wise, I was worried about that. Because I know my body pretty well. And everyone in this room plays hurt. Everyone in every locker room. Nobody’s healthy. And I’ve played hurt a lot just like everyone else.

“But it was a different kind of feeling. It made me nervous. To get that shot and get going and be able to be on this team, I think if I would’ve missed this year, I would’ve been more upset about being around these guys and being a part of it more than anything. I could care [less] if I hit .200 with five homers. If we’re winning and I get to be around it, I think that’s what I would’ve missed most.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/09/14/ryan-zimmerman-continues-to-erase-slow-painful-beginning-that-was-a-trying-time/

Offline PC

« Reply #440: September 14, 2012, 10:38:57 AM »
All the way back

NEW YORK -- Mark DeRosa was talking to Ryan Zimmerman after last night's game at Citi Field, one in which Zimmerman had homered (yet again) and driven in a run (yet again), and noted how far the 27-year-old third baseman had come since his stunningly poor start to the season.

"You made it back," DeRosa told his teammate.

"Well," Zimmerman responded, "I made it back to where I guess it's respectable now."

OK, so Zimmerman's overall season numbers -- a .287 average, 22 homers, 84 RBI, an .835 OPS -- aren't off-the-charts good. Especially for a guy who has in his career cracked the 30-homer barrier, the 100-RBI plateau and has hit over .300.

But considering the hole he dug himself into through the season's first half, it's bordering on remarkable how good Zimmerman's season-ending stats will look.

On the morning of June 24, Zimmerman was hitting .218 with three homers, 22 RBI and a .590 OPS that ranked among the worst utility infielders in baseball. His right shoulder was barking, he couldn't drive the ball to the gaps and that $100 million contract extension he had signed during spring training sure didn't look too smart on the Nationals' part.

Zimmerman, as steady and level-headed a player as you'll find in the big leagues, admits now he was concerned.

"I'm OK with the slow starts, but not being able to swing the bat and do the things health-wise, I was worried about that," he said. "Because I know my body pretty well. Everyone in this room plays hurt. Everyone in every locker room. Nobody's healthy. And I've played hurt a lot just like everyone else. But it was a different kind of feeling. It made me nervous."

That morning of June 24, with the Nationals preparing for their series finale in Baltimore, Zimmerman received a cortisone shot in the shoulder. Doctors couldn't promise him it would work. And they couldn't tell him how long the effects of the shot would last.

But it did work. And it has lasted. Zimmerman hasn't needed another shot since, and he barely worries about his shoulder right now.

And the numbers he's posted in 72 games since that day in Baltimore are nothing short of dominant: a .339 average, .405 on-base percentage, 19 homers, 62 RBI and a 1.021 OPS.

He currently owns an NL-best 16-game hitting streak. He's also driven in a run in nine consecutive games, an Expos/Nationals franchise record.

"We're riding him," manager Davey Johnson said. "Zim's swinging the bat good and playing good."

It only constitutes one-half of a season, but had he compiled those numbers over six months, Zimmerman would be the runaway favorite to win National League MVP honors.

He won't, of course, win MVP. He might receive a handful of top-10 votes.

But he doesn't care about that. What preyed on Zimmerman's mind most of all during his early season struggles was the fact the Nationals were enjoying the best year of their brief history, and he (as the senior member of the club) was doing little to contribute to it all.

"That was a trying time, I guess you could say," he said of those June days when he faced an uncertain future. "That was about as tough a six-week stretch as I've ever had in my career. To be able to look up there now and know I've been able to battle back from that -- and more importantly, can actually help the team win now -- I'm pretty proud of it."

http://www.natsinsider.com/2012/09/all-way-back.html

Online Slateman

« Reply #441: September 14, 2012, 11:36:21 AM »
Still having throwing issues, but I love the bat.

Honestly, if these throwing issue continue, could his bat carry at first base?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #442: September 14, 2012, 12:03:11 PM »
HOF bump by PC :clap:

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #443: September 14, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
Still having throwing issues, but I love the bat.

Honestly, if these throwing issue continue, could his bat carry at first base?

He probably still needs to get his shoulder cleaned up after the season. He may be trying to make adjustments on the fly when he throws the ball overhand. I know it's been an on-going problem - seems particularly so this year since the shoulder stuff.

We should see what happens in the off season.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #444: September 14, 2012, 01:01:27 PM »
He still should have been bumped down before the cortisone shot.

:lol:

Offline Hogie

« Reply #445: September 14, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »
The only thing wrong with him is that he can't stay healthy enough over a full season to put up an MVP type year.

Offline spit

« Reply #446: September 14, 2012, 02:32:56 PM »
The only thing wrong with him is that he didn't pass on his genes to me

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #447: September 14, 2012, 04:11:29 PM »
He probably still needs to get his shoulder cleaned up after the season. He may be trying to make adjustments on the fly when he throws the ball overhand. I know it's been an on-going problem - seems particularly so this year since the shoulder stuff.

We should see what happens in the off season.

+1

But I've been spoiled by the way Zimmerman makes acrobatic plays...and hits the game-winning home run on Wednesday.

Saw a Harrisburg 3B, Sean Nicol, stare at a ground ball, and realized I expected to see a Nats 3B dive and make that play. Nicol didn't move. Yes, we just expect the Zimmerman diving stops.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #448: September 14, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »
if i'm half the man Ryan Zimmerman is, he's still twice the man that I am.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #449: September 14, 2012, 04:19:24 PM »
Still got to be something wrong with the shoulder when he can't throw normally.  Sounds like he was very concerned before the c-shot masked whatever is structurally going on in there.  Off-season clean-up probable.