Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30605 times)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #50: June 04, 2012, 01:02:46 AM »
The hyperbole over this slump is out of hand IMO. To each their own, I guess.

Offline PC

« Reply #51: June 04, 2012, 01:29:00 AM »
Every time we lose games like this, my anxiety gets raised. My anxiety is raised, in this case because, if Ryan Zimmerman plays like this all season, we won’t make the playoffs, especially if he continues to bat third.  And I’m not ready to accept that yet.  I’m not ready to accept the possibility that, on June 4th, we’re already destined to not make the playoffs.  Being out of contention in early June would make this season much like almost every other season we’ve had, since the Nationals came back.  I can’t go there yet.

And no, I’m not predicting that he will play like this all season but other players have played this badly for entire seasons.  Adam Dunn, as we all know, played worse than this for an entire season.  But the facts that we have currently on the table are that he’s playing horribly.  It could be a slump or injury or decline in skills or something we’re not even thinking of.  We don’t know what it is, raising my anxiety even further.

The success of this team is, in no small part, tied directly to the performance of Ryan Zimmerman and that’s not a good place to be right now.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #52: June 04, 2012, 07:38:35 AM »
Love the guy, but hate his batting stance. How can you get around on anything when your bat is starting off practically pointing at center field? Ted Williams would fix it for him, but doubt Eckstein will. Until he changes his bat position, I doubt there will much consistency.  His power also seems to be gone.  I noticed maybe a week ago he hit one of his patented line drives to right, but it barely went over 2B. Right away, I thought, 'something's wrong'.  So it is probably a combinatiom of injury and approach, a bad mixture/

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #53: June 04, 2012, 07:58:07 AM »

Slump implies that there was a time when he was hitting well. LaRoche is in a slump. Desmond is in a slump. Zimmerman never got off the ground.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: June 04, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
I think Zimmerman is hurt. He didn't do anything to heal his bad shoulder...he just sat out a few games, and came back. Davey answers the way he should, and the same way Joe Gibbs used to answer questions: support the player, give no information.

A healthy Zimmerman would have more than two HRs. The swings don't look good.

Davey's answers are nonsensical - how does saying he's healthy support the player? You have fans turning on him because he's not hitting, perhaps something along the line of 'he's the best option we have at third, but not yet 100%' would be better

Online Slateman

« Reply #55: June 04, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »
If Davey does that, then he's confirming what everyone in MLB suspects. Our number 3 hitter can't get to pitches on the outside and isn't generating enough bat speed.

Davey needs to drop him lower in the order. He can't be counted on with RISP

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #56: June 04, 2012, 08:40:39 AM »

It's a fair question as to whether the slump is caused by a shoulder injury, and if so, is the injury chronic or temporary. 

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #57: June 04, 2012, 08:46:09 AM »
The main problem is he keeps hitting balls straight at opposing players. 

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #59: June 04, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »
At least he knows it

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #60: June 04, 2012, 11:04:07 AM »

This/sanity/etc.

He's been lousy since he came back from the injury - maybe it's nagging, but maybe he's just having a little trouble getting it going again.  The eighth inning AB yesterday looked like he was clearly pressing, but I also thought he was underaggressive in the first - Lombo and Harper had just gone back-to-back and it seemed like Zim was committed to taking strike 1 no matter what.  Hanson grooved a BP fastball dead in the middle of the zone and Zim watched it.  He should have been more aggressive early, and less aggressive late - that's a sign of a slump, not something permanent, I think.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #61: June 04, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »
@JonHeymanCBS: zimmerman got too much. said 1 competing exec: "seems like they have 2 $100M contracts but no $100M players."

what a crock of crap :lmao: someone's jealous

Zimmerman is easily a $100 Million dollar talent with his defense, offense, intangibles, significance to franchise, etc.

:lmao:

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #62: June 04, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
It still is a crock of crap.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #63: June 04, 2012, 12:06:19 PM »
It still is a crock of crap.

I'm laughing at SF because he started this thread.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #64: June 04, 2012, 12:07:43 PM »
Ahh -- gotcha.  8)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #65: June 04, 2012, 12:26:41 PM »
I'm laughing at SF because he started this thread.

I see what you did there.    Neat-o  ....

Offline panthers30

« Reply #66: June 04, 2012, 01:54:43 PM »
Exactly.  Even with the time he's missed, he's second in MLB in GIDPs.   I'd much rather see Harper or even Desmond in the 3-spot and Zimm moved further down.  Not gonna happen though :(

He's been slumping his whole career then because he is the DP king.

Are you talking about over the past several seasons?  because Zim is certainly not 2nd in the MLB in GIDP, or even close to it really.  In 2011 he was tied for #41 and 2010 he was tied for #55 in the entire MLB for GIDP.

Chicken littles all up in this fan base.  Zim is as talented as they come.  He'll put every ounce of effort he has into breaking out of this slump.  If this is an injury thing, that could be another story though.

Slumps happen.  Deal with it.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #67: June 04, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
Chicken littles all up in this fan base. 

This.

Online Slateman

« Reply #68: June 04, 2012, 02:48:04 PM »
Are you talking about over the past several seasons?  because Zim is certainly not 2nd in the MLB in GIDP, or even close to it really.  In 2011 he was tied for #41 and 2010 he was tied for #55 in the entire MLB for GIDP.

Chicken littles all up in this fan base.  Zim is as talented as they come.  He'll put every ounce of effort he has into breaking out of this slump.  If this is an injury thing, that could be another story though.

Slumps happen.  Deal with it.

He meant for the season.

At what point is this not a slump and the result of an injury or other issue? Was last season a slump for Dunn?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #69: June 04, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
guys there's nothing wrong with RZ, Harper is the one who cost us the game! :roll:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #70: June 04, 2012, 03:44:47 PM »
guys there's nothing wrong with RZ, Harper is the one who cost us the game! :roll:

:shock:  I know you're being sarcastic Chief but what instigated this post?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #71: June 04, 2012, 03:49:02 PM »

lmao at anyone saying Bryce cost us the game

Dinosaur shenanigans

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #72: June 04, 2012, 03:56:18 PM »
Dinosaur shenanigans

It's like a game show, you have to guess which post is for real.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #73: June 04, 2012, 03:59:45 PM »
RZ has had a 1 for 16 over the last 4 games.  Before that, he had hit successfully in 9 out of 10, including several after he sat out a game in Philly for his shoulder kicking up.  he ran into two very good pitchers this weekend and did not have much success.  I'm not sure there's much of a pattern here.  The mini-slump is more visible because it is in games that were low scoring, and we count on him for keeping games from being low scoring.  If he's cold for a couple of weeks, then I'd worry. 

Online Slateman

« Reply #74: June 04, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »
RZ has had a 1 for 16 over the last 4 games.  Before that, he had hit successfully in 9 out of 10, including several after he sat out a game in Philly for his shoulder kicking up.  he ran into two very good pitchers this weekend and did not have much success.  I'm not sure there's much of a pattern here.  The mini-slump is more visible because it is in games that were low scoring, and we count on him for keeping games from being low scoring.  If he's cold for a couple of weeks, then I'd worry. 

I'm more concerened that he re-aggrevated his shoulder. If he did, he really needs to be up front about it. He can sit out a game or two or even go back on the 15 day DL. But if he can't swing well, then he's doing more harm than good.