Author Topic: Anyone play OOTP?  (Read 10876 times)

Offline dracnal

Re: Anyone play OOTP?
« Reply #225: April 18, 2017, 09:46:33 AM »
Just join our league. It's 2071 and everyone we watch now is dead.

Next time there's an opening let me know and I'm sure I can happily provide an easily kickable ass for folks.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #226: April 18, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »
Yeah, let me know when there's an opening too.  I'm pretty obsessed with OOTP. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #227: April 18, 2017, 02:22:12 PM »
Colorado and Tampa Bay are both open.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #228: April 18, 2017, 03:08:05 PM »
Just join our league. It's 2071 and everyone we watch now is dead.
This isn't entirely accurate, Bartolo Colon is still pitching.

This is the league, check out the rules & such, and if interested, post in the Wait List (it's currently May and we're playing 18):
http://forums.spotlightgaming.net/index.php?forums/the-dugout.4/

Offline dracnal

« Reply #229: April 18, 2017, 08:00:03 PM »
This isn't entirely accurate, Bartolo Colon is still pitching.

This is the league, check out the rules & such, and if interested, post in the Wait List (it's currently May and we're playing 18):
http://forums.spotlightgaming.net/index.php?forums/the-dugout.4/

I see the deadline to enter your sim day is 1pm est, but what time do the league files become available? I suspect I am going to get wait listed looking at the thread, which is okay. Gives me more time to get used to the game and it sounds like things open up often enough that it won't be forever.

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #230: April 19, 2017, 12:14:10 AM »
Yeah, let me know when there's an opening too.  I'm pretty obsessed with OOTP.

crap yeah dude. Come join too

Offline GuyFromCO

« Reply #231: April 19, 2017, 12:15:36 AM »
I see the deadline to enter your sim day is 1pm est, but what time do the league files become available? I suspect I am going to get wait listed looking at the thread, which is okay. Gives me more time to get used to the game and it sounds like things open up often enough that it won't be forever.

League files are uploaded right after the sim, so usually 130-2 EST.

Offline whytev

« Reply #232: April 19, 2017, 02:49:33 AM »

You have 23 hours to sim.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #233: April 19, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »

crap yeah dude. Come join too

So is this the current Rockies or an auto generated team.

Offline dracnal

« Reply #234: April 19, 2017, 09:21:39 AM »
So is this the current Rockies or an auto generated team.

It's 2071. The Rockies are in rebuild mode with a budget of around 120M and committed to 135M or so. Basically some light payroll shedding is in order. From the league rules, CPU players can't be involved in trades, so at least you have a farm system and some credible major leaguers.  Last year they were 4th in their division of 8.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #235: April 19, 2017, 10:31:38 AM »
FYI new GMs can't trade their first 12 months. This was because of some jerk who came in on a rampage and traded away every player in the org his first week. Really screwed me over because I inherited a team in a very obvious fire sale position (no prospects, no wins, like 5 good older guys on expiring contracts).

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #236: April 19, 2017, 10:50:36 AM »
FYI new GMs can't trade their first 12 months. This was because of some jerk who came in on a rampage and traded away every player in the org his first week. Really screwed me over because I inherited a team in a very obvious fire sale position (no prospects, no wins, like 5 good older guys on expiring contracts).

Like 12 real months or 12 sim months?  If it's the former that's not a lot of fun, if it's the later that's alright.

It's 2071. The Rockies are in rebuild mode with a budget of around 120M and committed to 135M or so. Basically some light payroll shedding is in order. From the league rules, CPU players can't be involved in trades, so at least you have a farm system and some credible major leaguers.  Last year they were 4th in their division of 8.

CPU players?  Are there shadow players if you don't have organization depth? 

Offline dracnal

« Reply #237: April 19, 2017, 11:03:03 AM »
Like 12 real months or 12 sim months?  If it's the former that's not a lot of fun, if it's the later that's alright.

CPU players?  Are there shadow players if you don't have organization depth?

Sim months from my reading of the rules. So less than 2 months real time I think. And sorry - I meant teams not controlled by a human. Only human to human trades are allowed. Unowned teams just do their thing.

*edit: someone in the league can probably answer the shadow player thing, but given roster rules I read for the minors, I suspect they will fill in with ghost players, but you'd basically need to gut your minors system for that to happen.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #238: April 19, 2017, 11:13:27 AM »
Sim months from my reading of the rules. So less than 2 months real time I think. And sorry - I meant teams not controlled by a human. Only human to human trades are allowed. Unowned teams just do their thing.

*edit: someone in the league can probably answer the shadow player thing, but given roster rules I read for the minors, I suspect they will fill in with ghost players, but you'd basically need to gut your minors system for that to happen.

Yeah, I was in another OOTP for a short period of time that had "shadow" minors and it was just zero fun.  They also simed a month at a time so a season only took two weeks, which put the immersion pretty close to zero for me. 

The league Kevrock and I are in is really good in that we all have full minors (A AA AAA) and ICs (which can actually be empty) and is pretty active in terms of trades.  We both also know a lot of the guys in the league in real life, which helps. 

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #239: April 19, 2017, 11:30:44 AM »
Yeah 12 sim months.

No shadow players, not sure what that even means. I just had to sign 30 minor league pitchers because, for instance, my rookie ball team had 25 hitters and 4 pitchers.

This Dugout league is really active in the way MDS describes his - there are a few guys who just don't do trades or respond to trade requests, but most of them just got replaced over the past few weeks because they didn't upgrade to 18.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #240: April 19, 2017, 12:15:22 PM »
A year in sim months I can do and would actually recommend to new owners.  In my other league we had a new owner get absolutely fleeced by a vet owner so bad we had to void the deal.  To make it right I actually traded for the player in question and wound up giving the new GM five 1st as payment for what's turned out to be Gio Gonzales instead of Clayton Kershaw.  It was a bad trade but it really helped out a new GM that got screwed and is in line with my "go big or go home" trade attitude. 

Offline whytev

« Reply #241: April 19, 2017, 12:48:00 PM »
A year in sim months I can do and would actually recommend to new owners.  In my other league we had a new owner get absolutely fleeced by a vet owner so bad we had to void the deal.  To make it right I actually traded for the player in question and wound up giving the new GM five 1st as payment for what's turned out to be Gio Gonzales instead of Clayton Kershaw.  It was a bad trade but it really helped out a new GM that got screwed and is in line with my "go big or go home" trade attitude.

That's why we have it, but the vultures still circle when a new guy is allowed to trade. I built my empire off an Irish guy who's new to baseball.

Did you get the Rockies? Your team is already stacked. A couple good guys had it and then took different teams later because Coors is annoying, but everything has just sort of come together this year.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #242: September 22, 2017, 02:14:49 PM »
The league whytev, GuyFromCO, dracnal, MarquisDeSade, and I are in is looking for new owners. PM somebody if interested. GuyFromCO and whytev have been in it for 15-20 seasons, I've been in it for 10 seasons, it's been a lot of fun and some of the deadbeat GMs who never traded have recently departed so the league is a little more functional than before in terms of being able to negotiate (or trash talk) with everyone.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #243: October 04, 2017, 01:06:48 PM »
The league whytev, GuyFromCO, dracnal, MarquisDeSade, and I are in is looking for new owners. PM somebody if interested. GuyFromCO and whytev have been in it for 15-20 seasons, I've been in it for 10 seasons, it's been a lot of fun and some of the deadbeat GMs who never traded have recently departed so the league is a little more functional than before in terms of being able to negotiate (or trash talk) with everyone.
bump. Join us!