Author Topic: Live Bald Eagle cams (the bird) 2018  (Read 716 times)

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
Re: Live Bald Eagle cams (the bird) 2018
« Reply #25: March 12, 2018, 08:23:40 PM »
Yunz can't drive in the snow.   :smh:     
:poke:

That's why everyone in my family has AWD...  ;)

Online mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #26: March 12, 2018, 08:27:04 PM »
That's why everyone in my family has AWD...  ;)

:lol:  ....   like folks think AWD/4WD makes it easier to drive on ice.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #27: March 12, 2018, 08:36:16 PM »
:lol:  ....   like folks think AWD/4WD makes it easier to drive on ice.

I got iced-in down in Raleigh once maybe 16-17 years ago...for days.  Finally broke out and went south to go north.  The road over to I-95 was totally iced over.  We all slipped and slid at 25mph the whole way until we hit a clean I-95.

It was like watching a highway full of drunks driving...

Online mitlen

« Reply #28: March 12, 2018, 08:39:38 PM »
I got iced-in down in Raleigh once maybe 16-17 years ago...for days.  Finally broke out and went south to go north.  The road over to I-95 was totally iced over.  We all slipped and slid at 25mph the whole way until we hit a clean I-95.

It was like watching a highway full of drunks driving...

I used to work the early shift.   Comin' from out here (Loudoun), I'd sometime take 66 East.    On bad days (snow, etc.), there would be pick up trucks barrelin' down 66 with WV tags.    By the time I'd get between Ballston and Rosslyn, one of the jokers would be spun out  ....  sometime into the median.    One of the things I don't miss about workin' is that damn commute.    :phew:

Carolina/S. VA must be in the ice zone.    They seem to get a lot of icy road kinds of storms.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #29: March 12, 2018, 08:42:36 PM »
One of the things I don't miss about workin'...

I can't even count the number of things I don't miss about workin'...

Online mitlen

« Reply #30: March 12, 2018, 08:43:15 PM »
Squintin' (Camera 2), it looks like there may be an adult on the nest in DC.   I'm not sure if Camera 1 is live or not.

Online mitlen

« Reply #31: March 12, 2018, 08:47:51 PM »
I can't even count the number of things I don't miss about workin'...

Talkin' to the "money guy" today, we talked about runnin' out of money, etc.    I'm sittin' there thinking about gettin' up at oh dark thirty for that ride into the city.    I'll have to do the math on how much time I spent commutin' (even when I lived in the city) over 40 or so years.   He asked, "What if you get low on funds?   What if you live to be 90?"    I told him I'd rob a bank and get three hots and a cot.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #32: March 12, 2018, 08:51:16 PM »
Talkin' to the "money guy" today, we talked about runnin' out of money, etc.    I'm sittin' there thinking about gettin' up at oh dark thirty for that ride into the city.    I'll have to do the math on how much time I spent commutin' (even when I lived in the city) over 40 or so years.   He asked, "What if you get low on funds?   What if you live to be 90?"    I told him I'd rob a bank and get three hots and a cot.

:D

Online mitlen

« Reply #33: March 12, 2018, 08:51:51 PM »
:D

BTW   They laughed at my cell phone.

Offline varoadking

• This is Howie do it...
« Reply #34: March 12, 2018, 08:54:26 PM »
BTW   They laughed at my cell phone.

That should have been his clue that you don't intend to get low on funds...  ;)

Online mitlen

« Reply #35: March 13, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »
:phew:    They're home.   Glad I didn't have to call EPS on 'em.

Online Natsinpwc

« Reply #36: March 13, 2018, 11:04:18 AM »
:phew:    They're home.   Glad I didn't have to call EPS on 'em.
Told ya--they were just shopping.  It's amazing how they know when the baby will hatch without a doctor.  Or the internet.

Online mitlen

« Reply #37: March 13, 2018, 02:04:24 PM »
Told ya--they were just shopping.  It's amazing how they know when the baby will hatch without a doctor.  Or the internet.

I knew they (adults) would get away for a time but yesterday seemed pretty extended.   It also seemed the camera operator was scanning the trees for one of the adult's return around dusk.    I don't think I was alone.

Both eggs are clear in the current camera shot.

BTW  I really like the remote capabilities of the DC camera.    Scans around, zooms, etc.   

Online mitlen

Online mitlen

« Reply #40: March 21, 2018, 10:14:59 AM »
...  and you think you're havin' a rough day.

Offline wj73

« Reply #41: March 21, 2018, 03:43:24 PM »
Oh my - nothing sadder looking than a cold wet eagle.  :(

Online mitlen

« Reply #42: March 21, 2018, 03:47:33 PM »
I don't see a whole lot of breathin' goin' on.    She must have heard me.    :)   

Online mitlen

« Reply #43: April 03, 2018, 02:06:55 PM »
DC eaglets lookin' good.    Hanover has issues.

Offline wj73

« Reply #44: April 03, 2018, 02:43:34 PM »
   Hanover has issues.

Oh my, yes there are issues there. I hadn’t checked on Hanover for a while and was stunned. From what I was able to gather, apparently last month a new eagle, a female, showed up.  This new female eagle clashed with the existing couple, and the existing female was driven off (killed?) by the interloper.  The existing male tried to incubate the eggs alone while the conflict with the new female continued. At one point the eggs were left alone for an extended period, got covered with snow and were considered to no longer be viable.   Since then the male and the new female have visited the nest alone and together, and the new female was seen eating one or both of the eggs.

Wow. Wonder if the male will take up with the hussy now.

Online mitlen

« Reply #45: April 03, 2018, 03:08:06 PM »
Oh my, yes there are issues there. I hadn’t checked on Hanover for a while and was stunned. From what I was able to gather, apparently last month a new eagle, a female, showed up.  This new female eagle clashed with the existing couple, and the existing female was driven off (killed?) by the interloper.  The existing male tried to incubate the eggs alone while the conflict with the new female continued. At one point the eggs were left alone for an extended period, got covered with snow and were considered to no longer be viable.   Since then the male and the new female have visited the nest alone and together, and the new female was seen eating one or both of the eggs.

The Hanover and DC pages have time lines goin' on.    I started readin' 'em when I didn't see the eaglets at the DC site.    Bigger eaglets have a habit of tossin' their siblings over board.    I was hopin' that had not happened.      As you've written, the Hanover site has bigger problems.

Offline skippy1999

• #saveus
« Reply #46: April 03, 2018, 03:22:19 PM »

Man, talk about Baby Mama Drama :shock:

so is that the mom watching over the eaglets from a nearby branch or the dad, do we know? I'm so afraid I'm going to be watching when one of the eaglets decides he's had enough of his sibling :nervous: