Author Topic: How great is Gio Gonzalez?  (Read 4551 times)

Offline BerkeleyNat

How great is Gio Gonzalez?
« Topic Start: May 28, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
7-1 with a miniscule 2.04 ERA.  :az:  He's tied for the most wins in the National League (7), top 5 in ERA, and top 5 in WHIP. To say that he's a stud would be an understatement. Oh yeah, he made us look good on national TV for once.  :clap: Nat Gio has been our best starter this season.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Re: How great is Gio Gonzalez?
« Reply #1: May 28, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
yep, no argument there, now if only Beachy can get rocked a few times so GG moves into first across the board.  Hopefully this year's cy young race comes down to Kershaw and GG.

Oh, and Milone lost last night, 6-4 now with a 3.64 ERA.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #2: May 28, 2012, 11:36:07 AM »
Rizzo = Executive of the Year

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #3: May 28, 2012, 11:46:20 AM »
I said a month ago and I'll say it again, Gio is the egg mcmuffin of pitchers.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #4: May 28, 2012, 11:48:53 AM »
NatGio for Cy Young!

Offline Fan037

« Reply #5: May 28, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
He is definitely the Nats' best starter so far, and if he keeps up this pace, he'll be a definite candidate for the Cy Young award.  Not only that, his smile lights up the clubhouse.  What a terrific find!

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: May 28, 2012, 12:03:08 PM »
Great pitcher and an even greater teammate.  Dude is one of the many reasons I'm on the Sunshine train.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #7: May 28, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
Great pitcher and an even greater teammate.  Dude is one of the many reasons I'm on the Sunshine train.

so is cory brown. 

Oh, you meant a different train . . .

Offline nfotiu

« Reply #8: May 28, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »
7-1 with a miniscule 2.04 ERA.  :az:  He's tied for the most wins in the National League (7), top 5 in ERA, and top 5 in WHIP. To say that he's a stud would be an understatement. Oh yeah, he made us look good on national TV for once.  :clap: Nat Gio has been our best starter this season.
You forgot number one in Ks.   A category he may blow away the league in when Strasburg gets shut down.   
Cy young voters like strike outs.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #9: May 28, 2012, 12:21:19 PM »
You forgot number one in Ks.   A category he may blow away the league in when Strasburg gets shut down.   

Thanks for pointing that out. How in the hell did I leave that stat out? I think I posted that before I had my morning cup of coffee.  :lol:

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #10: May 28, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »

He may blow Stras away too- he's almost a k/9 better and he pitchers more innings

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #11: May 29, 2012, 05:15:14 PM »
[url:http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7974595/nationals-left-hander-gio-gonzalez-true-swing-miss-stuff]Sign Crasnick up to the I  <3 Gio list[/url]
Five months after Washington GM Mike Rizzo raided the farm system to acquire him from Oakland, Gonzalez enters Sunday night's start against Atlanta's Brandon Beachy with an All-Star-worthy portfolio. He's 6-1 with a 1.98 ERA, a 0.99 WHIP and a major league-best ratio of 11.36 strikeouts per nine innings.

Gonzalez, a relatively compact 6-foot-1 and 205 pounds, is that rare left-handed pitcher with true swing-and-miss stuff. According to ESPN Stats & Information, he ranks 21st out of 119 qualified big league starters with a fastball velocity of 92.7 mph. He's fifth among lefty starters behind David Price (94.6 mph), Matt Moore (94.3), Derek Holland (93.1) and Clayton Kershaw (92.8).

Gonzalez's trademark pitch is a classic 12-to-6 curveball that he began throwing as a high school freshman in South Florida. Since 2010, he has recorded a major league-high 235 strikeouts with the pitch. Last year his ratio of outs to hits with the curveball was 187-to-47. This year it's an astonishing 41-to-3.

It's a rarity when a left-hander's curveball can buckle the knees of both lefty and righty hitters, but Gonzalez's bender does not discriminate.

"Remember when you were a kid and you'd grip a Wiffle ball with all the holes on one side and throw it as hard as you could, and it would go straight down with a 'Whoosh!"' said Nationals broadcaster F.P. Santangelo. "Well, this guy is doing that against big league hitters."

Offline bklynnats

« Reply #12: May 29, 2012, 05:30:22 PM »
I said a month ago and I'll say it again, Gio is the egg mcmuffin of pitchers.

:clap:

Gio has been amazing. Love the personality too.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: June 07, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
by John Perotto, BP

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17272

A few minutes with Nationals left-hander Gio Gonzalez

On the biggest adjustment in moving from the American League to the National League this season: "I want to say sliding. Seriously. The first time I tried to slide I came up short of the base and almost broke my leg. It had been a long time since I slid—probably high school. I'm not going to do that again anytime soon."

On the biggest adjustment as far pitching in a new league: "The main thing is learning the hitters I haven't faced before. With interleague and guys getting traded from one league to the other or moving as free agents, it's not like everyone is new, but it's also been great to have a pitching coach like Steve McCatty, who prepares us so well for each start, to lean on for information on the hitters I haven't seen."

On getting traded in the offseason after representing the Athletics at last year's All-Star Game: "I wouldn't have thought it would happen a year ago. I thought I was guy they were building the rotation around along with Brett Anderson and Trevor Cahill. Things change, though. The A's are just trying to keep afloat financially, and there are no hard feelings. They gave me my first chance to pitch in the major leagues, and I'll always be thankful to the organization for that."

On signing a five-year, $42-million contract with two team/vesting options after coming to the Nationals: "Mike Rizzo is a great general manager, and it made me feel really good when he approached us about a long-term contract. It made me feel good that I was wanted. Once I got to spring training I got a chance to see how much talent is on this team and I knew I made the right decision. Beyond that, we all like each other, and we all have each other's backs. There's a real team feeling here that I like being part of. We've got something special going here. We're set up to be a good team for a long time."

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #14: June 07, 2012, 12:01:57 PM »
:clap:

for some reason I trust gio saying those things more than I would most players

Offline fersaltiel

« Reply #15: June 07, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »
I still can't believe he's signed long-term for pennies, what a great move.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #16: June 10, 2012, 08:23:53 AM »
ESPN has a blog post up about Stras, Gio, and the rotation in general, it would appear that the Nats are striking out a whole lot of batters this year...

The interesting part of the article is in the explanation of how Gio has improved, in particular his curve ball against right handed hitters is unhittable.  Last year opposing righties were hitting .212 against his curve, this year .026!  And he is throwing fewer of the pitches for strikes.  The chart below shows how he has moved the pitch from the heart of the strike zone to just beyond the lower inside edge of the zone.

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/44889/nationals-pitching-has-been-more-than-ok

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #17: June 10, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
love the pitch location chart. thanks for sharing.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #18: June 10, 2012, 12:01:20 PM »
ESPN has a blog post up about Stras, Gio, and the rotation in general, it would appear that the Nats are striking out a whole lot of batters this year...

The interesting part of the article is in the explanation of how Gio has improved, in particular his curve ball against right handed hitters is unhittable.  Last year opposing righties were hitting .212 against his curve, this year .026!  And he is throwing fewer of the pitches for strikes.  The chart below shows how he has moved the pitch from the heart of the strike zone to just beyond the lower inside edge of the zone.

(Image removed from quote.)

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/44889/nationals-pitching-has-been-more-than-ok

That's awesome!  :clap:

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #19: July 24, 2012, 11:06:44 PM »
Gio Gonzalez has got to be a Cy Young candidate, with the Nationals on pace for a playoff berth.

July 24, 2012: W-L 13-5, ERA 3.13, 133 SO, 1.11 WHIP

Now tied for most wins in MLB with Tampa Bay's David Price and NY Mets R.A. Dickey, and Dickey was the losing pitcher tonight, with an ERA over 6.00 in July.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #20: July 24, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
Congrats Gio! He fell of the horse last week but got right back on and charged through. If he got the Cy Young he would definitely deserve it.

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #21: July 25, 2012, 01:19:49 AM »
Just think... If Strasburg starts raping before he gets shutdown at lets say 183 innings, we could have POTENTIALLY 3 cy young candidates. We have come a long away my friends. I still remember hoping if Daniel Cabrera will put things together here in DC and become a beast  :hang:

Offline Hogie

Offline aussienatsfan

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: July 25, 2012, 07:53:31 AM »
It's a matter of getting opposition batters out by any means necessary...a strike-out pitcher winning by coaxing an endless stream of ground-ball outs may not be aesthetic but it bloody well gets the job done.

Getting David Wright to go nil-for-4 is magnificence.