Author Topic: Future of big name Nats (2012)  (Read 15186 times)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Re: Future of big name Nats
« Reply #150: May 29, 2012, 02:28:25 PM »

Sign him to a ten year deal between now and December, and truly relax a while.

You would just start another thread talking about the next extension on top of the extension.

Because lets be honest... no one is relaxed about it now. Not truly. Right now it's the elephant in the room. No one wants to talk about it now, just sweep it under the rug until he's 21. But the issue exists and the conversation will need to be had

The fanbois are the only ones concerned with this crap right now.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #151: May 29, 2012, 02:30:39 PM »
The fanbois are the only ones concerned with this crap right now.

Sanity.

:clap:

SuperFan37 hasn't returned has he?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #152: May 29, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
Sanity.

:clap:

Superfan was annoying but I never took him for the type that looked like someone had splattered New England clam chowder all over his chin.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #153: May 29, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »
There are the long-time Nats fans and then there are the Bryce Harper fans.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #154: May 29, 2012, 02:37:56 PM »
I know Ted is willing to spend... but the next guy might not be.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Thanks, buddy.  I needed that.

And really - this is the single most pointless discussion I've ever seen on this forum.  He's 19 - literally anything could happen.  He could crush his spine in a tragic motorcycle accident in 2014 - you don't throw ten-year contracts at 19 year old kids.  Yes, he's awesome.  Just enjoy the awesome and worry about the long-term in the long-term. 

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #155: May 29, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
I'd ask that you guys quit derailing thread and get back to baseball discussion.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #156: May 29, 2012, 02:41:01 PM »
Another concern; is who will the ownership even be in the hands of when Harper is a free agent if Ted Lerner (age 86 now) is no longer alive? Will it still be the Lerner family? I am not informed as to whether or not Ted has a son that would take over like Steinbrenner did. That's a big deal when talking about a team keeping it's nucleus locked up. I know Ted is willing to spend... but the next guy might not be.

(See Cleveland Indians - Dick Jacobs/Dolan family of the present)

Yes, he has a son Mark... but I wouldn't be so sure that Ted Lerner likes to spend money. See payrolls since they took over through 2011.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #157: May 29, 2012, 02:42:13 PM »
I'd ask that you guys quit derailing thread and get back to baseball discussion.

How's the weather in Atlanta?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #158: May 29, 2012, 02:42:33 PM »

Nah. Not enough Rizzo bashing.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #159: May 29, 2012, 03:02:56 PM »
How's the weather in Atlanta?

What gives? And you still never answered my question. Too deep of thought to ask for I guess.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #160: May 29, 2012, 03:14:24 PM »
What gives? And you still never answered my question. Too deep of thought to ask for I guess.

I answered it already as have others - it's too early to lock up a kid for 10 year when a lot could happen.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #161: May 29, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
I answered it already as have others - it's too early to lock up a kid for 10 year when a lot could happen.

Ok but do you think the opportunity will be there to do it if we as an organization choose that's the right path to go? That's all I'm asking. Will we have a shot at him

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #163: May 29, 2012, 03:35:42 PM »
Ok but do you think the opportunity will be there to do it if we as an organization choose that's the right path to go? That's all I'm asking. Will we have a shot at him

you're throwing out 10 for 200. Extensions are about safety on both sides- the club guarantees they get the services at a set price for a number of years, the player gets a hedge against injury and performance. A huge deal at this point puts all the risk on the nationals with very little upside, I think a more modest deal guaranteeing his arb years and buying out a year of free agency would be the best the team could hope for (and really, by calling him up, the lost a crap load of leverage, but Rizzo isn't Andrew Friedman)

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #164: May 29, 2012, 03:53:11 PM »
you're throwing out 10 for 200. Extensions are about safety on both sides- the club guarantees they get the services at a set price for a number of years, the player gets a hedge against injury and performance. A huge deal at this point puts all the risk on the nationals with very little upside, I think a more modest deal guaranteeing his arb years and buying out a year of free agency would be the best the team could hope for (and really, by calling him up, the lost a crap load of leverage, but Rizzo isn't Andrew Friedman)

Well, taking on all that risk is the only thing that's going to keep him here locked up and a National long-term. Otherwise he will probably turn down any extension and test the open market; unless it's something huge from us. Shifting all the risk from the player to the organization and big years, and $ will do that.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #165: May 29, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
I know Ted is willing to spend... but the next guy might not be.

It's beginning to make sense. PANatsFan started another account. 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #166: May 29, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
This thread was probably started by the same guy that registered as Daniel Espinosa last year. 

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #167: May 29, 2012, 04:25:04 PM »
Spidernat and Marquis.... seems you guys are the ones getting things derailed though

Offline Rasta

« Reply #168: May 29, 2012, 04:34:18 PM »
Boras won't let Harper sign a long term extension unless it's market altering like ARod.  I just don't see it happening as others have said. 

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #169: May 29, 2012, 04:34:20 PM »
I predict this will be the longest thread in the history of this forum. It will go from now until he signs his next contract.

There. I said it.

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #170: May 29, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
Boras won't let Harper sign a long term extension unless it's market altering like ARod.  I just don't see it happening as others have said.

We have the coin to do it; so why not us outside of Washington the perception is we are not an area with Small Market concerns

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #171: May 29, 2012, 05:21:45 PM »
because it makes no economic sense for the team to do it now, why lock your self into an enormous deal when you have no idea if the player will end up being worth it or what the market will end up looking like in seven seven years

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #172: May 29, 2012, 05:25:44 PM »
freak it, give him 20/400m.  Just don't raise the seat prices in my section.

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #173: May 29, 2012, 05:28:51 PM »
because it makes no economic sense for the team to do it now, why lock your self into an enormous deal when you have no idea if the player will end up being worth it or what the market will end up looking like in seven seven years

People said the same about the Rays and Longoria. And now it looks like he is literally a slave to the Rays with that contract.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #174: May 29, 2012, 05:29:43 PM »
People said the same about the Rays and Longoria. And now it looks like he is literally a slave to the Rays with that contract.

I don't remember anyone saying that about the Longoria deal.