Author Topic: No thread about Strasburg's arm tightness?  (Read 2890 times)

Offline SkinsNDeacs

No thread about Strasburg's arm tightness?
« Topic Start: May 20, 2012, 08:24:03 PM »
I looked for one but did not see it.

It appears there is nothing to be concerned about but I have thought that before and...

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: No thread about Strasburg's arm tightness?
« Reply #1: May 20, 2012, 08:25:47 PM »
Swinging his arm while rounding the bases wore his arm out

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #3: May 20, 2012, 08:47:17 PM »
I knew something was up with him because he was shaking his arm a few times today. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: May 20, 2012, 08:47:58 PM »
This thread better not turn into a Stras return watch

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #5: May 20, 2012, 08:48:50 PM »
No its a non-issue that blabber mouth wanted to trot out there to protect his behind for pulling Strasburg at 90 pitches.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #6: May 20, 2012, 08:53:17 PM »
I knew something was up with him because he was shaking his arm a few times today. 

He always shakes his arms.

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko
Again, Strasburg said it wasn't an issue with his bicep. Just overall fatigue. He & Davey both expect Strasburg to make his next start #Nats

Offline KingHarper

« Reply #7: May 20, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »
oh god...

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #8: May 20, 2012, 09:28:09 PM »
I can't hear you lalalalalallalala

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #9: May 20, 2012, 09:43:56 PM »
Stras was hitting 98 and topped out at 99 in the fifth inning today. If he was feeling anything not right it sure didn't show. I think he struck out six out of 7 at one point.

Offline PC

Davey Johnson needs to learn to shut the hell up. This should not be the story coming out of this game.  The stories should be his dominant performance and his homerun, not a non-injury.

http://www.thenatsblog.com/2012-articles/may/strasburg-leaves-game-with-bicep-tightness-nats-win-9-3-to-avoid-sweep.html

Look at the headline for the story.  Everything about it is exactly how it shouldn't be.  They just talked about Strasburg on Baseball Tonight at the top of the 6th in tonight's game and the win was unmentioned.  The homerun was mentioned as they were fading out. 

There are so many ways Davey could have handled this that wouldn't potentially hurt the team.

Offline PC

He shakes his arm all the time.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

It did not look like his normal arm shake.  It was enough for me to notice it even before I heard anything about this story. 

Offline nfotiu

He always shakes his arms.

Dan Kolko ‏@masnKolko
Again, Strasburg said it wasn't an issue with his bicep. Just overall fatigue. He & Davey both expect Strasburg to make his next start #Nats

Why not skip a start.   He hasn't been as sharp the last couple games.   After taking a year off, fatigue could likely be a factor, and if so could lead to injuries.   Seems to make to much sense to give him a week off, see if cmw is better than Detwiler, and give Strasburg an extra start in September's.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
No way. He was fine today. Don't skip your best pitcher.

Offline Sharp

Why not skip a start.   He hasn't been as sharp the last couple games.   After taking a year off, fatigue could likely be a factor, and if so could lead to injuries.   Seems to make to much sense to give him a week off, see if cmw is better than Detwiler, and give Strasburg an extra start in September's.

Stras has been pitching fine.  His stats this year are right where his peripherals expect him to be--as a low 2's ERA pitcher.  And two games ago he struck out 13, how is that not "sharp."

Offline PC

You CAN'T skip a start now, specifically, because Davey Johnson couldn't keep his mouth shut.  If this had gone unspoken about, which is should have, you could have skipped a start and it would have been largely unquestioned.

Offline Obed_Marsh

And two games ago he struck out 13, how is that not "sharp."

Whoah there buddy. I know it is your name and all but it doesn't make you an authority on all things Sharp. Strasburg is mailing it in if he is not striking out at least 27 batters a game. What a utter disapointment he has been this year. ;)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Any other pitcher has the same thing; it's a non issue.  Just because its Stras, its a big deal?  Not!  Besides, there is a day off between starts.  5 days off instead of 4.

Offline Bloo

:dibbs: Tough it out.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Davey Johnson needs to learn to shut the hell up. This should not be the story coming out of this game.  The stories should be his dominant performance and his homerun, not a non-injury.

Look at the headline for the story.  Everything about it is exactly how it shouldn't be.  They just talked about Strasburg on Baseball Tonight at the top of the 6th in tonight's game and the win was unmentioned.  The homerun was mentioned as they were fading out. 

There are so many ways Davey could have handled this that wouldn't potentially hurt the team.

Tightness in his arm is the story. Not 5 innings of pitching. Not even the home run. It's a big deal because of his previous injury.

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
Davey does need to shut up about some stuff though.  First the icy hot now this...

Offline Ray D

If this had gone unspoken about, which is should have, you could have skipped a start and it would have been largely unquestioned.
If he skipped a start, there would have to be an explanation.

Offline Baseball is Life

It did not look like his normal arm shake.  It was enough for me to notice it even before I heard anything about this story. 

I watch the guy like he was my first born. I've seen just about every one of his home starts and my eyes are on him just about the whole time. And I was there yesterday and I was watching him the whole time.

Nothing unusual whatsoever about his behavior or his performance that day. If he was not feeling sharp or fatigued, his velocity would have dropped. And he was sitting at 97 that last inning and hit 98 and 99. He was actually getting stronger.

If his arm is feeling fatigued fine skip a start. If not, go out there every five days. He will know a lot more when he throws his side session in a couple of days.

I'm a big fan of Davey, but there was nothing gained by running his yap about this, true or not.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I say give him the "start" on Wednesday and have him throw the first pitch into Shane Victorino's ear-hole and accept his five-game suspension.