Author Topic: Donna Summer has died  (Read 230 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Donna Summer has died
« Topic Start: May 17, 2012, 02:54:16 PM »

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Donna Summer has died
« Reply #1: May 17, 2012, 03:12:00 PM »
sorry to hear this.  When she made it big, she bought a house down the street from one of my high school friends folks' place in the suburbs for her folks.  Seemed like a decent person.  My music theory class my freshman or sophomore year used the intro to "Hot Stuff" as an example of a song written in a minor chords.

She also took some heat for her religion, too.  She was brought up in a conservative church, and I dimly remember a controversy with some gay groups that turned against her because of something coming out about that.  Maybe it was a statement of hers about her faith or something from a family member.  It kind of took her aback because she was personally tolerant and aware how big the gay community was in the early disco fan base.  I forget the details, but maybe someone else remembers.

Offline InsaneBoost

• Censored
« Reply #2: May 17, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
They die in three's, right? So who's next?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #3: May 18, 2012, 09:09:07 AM »
she worked hard for the money.  RIP.

I'm 43, for a good chunk of my early child hood I wasn't aware there were any singers "other" than Donna Summer.  She dominated the charts for years.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #4: May 18, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
she worked hard for the money.  RIP.

I'm 43, for a good chunk of my early child hood I wasn't aware there were any singers "other" than Donna Summer.  She dominated the charts for years.

I DJ'd at an oldies club in downtown in the 80s and early 90s.    Always had to give 'em a taste of Donna.    Even old white people danced to her tunes.  :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #5: May 18, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
She was too type cast for her talent.  The lady had an outstanding voice and range, but because of her disco success, no one who liked rock would listen to her, and rock was her first choice.