Author Topic: DVR recordings transfer.  (Read 207 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

DVR recordings transfer.
« Topic Start: May 11, 2012, 11:49:51 PM »
So, I finally got switched back to DirecTV.  I've got a couple of shows on the cable DVR I'd love to transfer over to the new DirecTV DVR.  Is it possible to do that?  I'm guessing no, but I thought maybe someone on here would know. 

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
Re: DVR recordings transfer.
« Reply #1: May 12, 2012, 12:48:53 PM »
Practically I'd say no. The link below shows how much of a PITA just transferring can be to a computer.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070901205923AA4PGse

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: May 13, 2012, 03:30:06 PM »
I kinda thought that might be the case.  Thought I'd check, though.

Thanks!

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #3: May 13, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
Can you connect it to your PC and try to save/record it there?

Offline HerndonNat

• FSU Football
« Reply #4: May 14, 2012, 12:36:06 PM »
You would need some type of video transfer card on your pc then hook that into your cable box.  Then you would play from your cable box and it would capture on the PC.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #5: May 14, 2012, 03:53:05 PM »
When I want to back up stuff from the DirecTV DVRs (most notably earlier this spring when one of the DVR boxes was dying) I connect it to the DVD recorder/VCR combo and just put the programs on DVD. It's easy enough other than the nuisance of being unable to do it at any speed faster than realtime.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #6: May 14, 2012, 10:33:39 PM »
The 1:1 transcode with degregation to SD content and the lack of import on the secondary DVR is the issue. At that point, you might as well buy a Synology Diskstation or other service aware NAS and establish a DLNA server on your home network.

Short answer, for most people it ain't worth the trouble. If it is worth a single transfer, move it to DLNA and save yourself the trouble of future transfers.

Or if you want to go grey market, setup an Synology Diskstation and use download manager to download torrents for movies you already own in background with low QoS settings.