Author Topic: Thoughts on Bud Selig  (Read 1331 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Thoughts on Bud Selig
« Topic Start: May 01, 2012, 11:06:50 AM »
Note by The Chief - this thread split off from the Destin Hood thread

in a couple of years, we may be in a weird position of having prospects blocked by legitimate major leaguers (ie hood by werth and Morse/Moore at the corners)- that will be a nice feeling

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Re: Thoughts on Bud Selig
« Reply #1: May 01, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
It is, but it isn't.

I was thinking about Werth yesterday and how much progress he's going to impede within the organization.

Knowing how this organization is with money... no matter how bad Werth is for the next 5-6 years, he's going to have a spot in the lineup every day... taking away a spot from someone that surely will be able to outproduce him by that point.

He truly is the albatross of baseball.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #2: May 01, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »
It is, but it isn't.

I was thinking about Werth yesterday and how much progress he's going to impede within the organization.

Knowing how this organization is with money... no matter how bad Werth is for the next 5-6 years, he's going to have a spot in the lineup every day... taking away a spot from someone that surely will be able to outproduce him by that point.

so far he's having a pretty decent season.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #3: May 01, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »

The albatross of our team, maybe. Bud Selig is the albatross of baseball.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: May 01, 2012, 01:13:00 PM »
The albatross of our team, maybe. Bud Selig is the albatross of baseball.

stupid wild card- what an jerk, and I can't believe the bastard allowed a team to move to dc, and the decade of labor peace- what nerve

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #5: May 01, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
stupid wild card- what an jerk, and I can't believe the bastard allowed a team to move to dc, and the decade of labor peace- what nerve

bored?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #6: May 01, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »
bored?

I actually think Selig has rounded out into a really good commissioner- then again I really couldn't care less about PED use. The only real knock against him is our screwed up tv deal, but if the team gets market rate, then it shouldn't harm the product on the field

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #7: May 01, 2012, 02:46:55 PM »
I actually think Selig has rounded out into a really good commissioner- then again I really couldn't care less about PED use. The only real knock against him is our screwed up tv deal, but if the team gets market rate, then it shouldn't harm the product on the field

also the draft.  he freaked up our whole draft strategy

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #8: May 01, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »

Well but see, nobody's the "albatross of baseball." There might be albatrosses in baseball, although one of them, Frank McCourt, is gone as of today. Probably the biggest remaining albatrosses (albatrae?) would be Barry Zito, Vernon Wells, Bernie Madoff, and Peter Angelos.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: May 01, 2012, 03:04:52 PM »
The Wilpons have to be the worst left- a team in the largest market with a new stadium shedding payroll like they're the royals

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #10: May 01, 2012, 04:24:03 PM »
also the draft.  he freaked up our whole draft strategy

This.

The Wilpons have to be the worst left- a team in the largest market with a new stadium shedding payroll like they're the royals

Nats have no room to talk, either.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #11: May 01, 2012, 04:33:02 PM »

Turned a blind eye to PEDs, refuses to institute a salary cap or floor, rewards cheap owners with terrible revenue sharing system, doesn't hold bad umpires accountable, let Peter Angelos reap the TV profits of a DC team, signed off on one of the worst CBA's in professional sports history that ruined the draft system and ensured good players won't go pro in baseball as much

Yeah, such a great commissioner. :roll:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #12: May 01, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
Turned a blind eye to PEDs, refuses to institute a salary cap or floor, rewards cheap owners with terrible revenue sharing system, doesn't hold bad umpires accountable, let Peter Angelos reap the TV profits of a DC team, signed off on one of the worst CBA's in professional sports history that ruined the draft system and ensured good players won't go pro in baseball as much

Yeah, such a great commissioner. :roll:

I could care less about peds, who cares about a cap or floor?, revenue sharing is less in the MLB than other sports, since when are bad officials ever held accountable in any sport, I agree on tv, and the draft system allows far more leeway to teams than either the NBA or NFL

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #13: May 01, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »
How does it allow any leeway?  Follow a hard cap or lose your picks?

And who cares about a cap or floor?  Pirates fans called and they just wanted to say hi.

Also, your general method of defending Selig there seemed to be "well, other sports have the same problem," which is hardly a credible defense.  Bettman and Stern are clowns that most fans don't like, and Goodell is now getting booed at the drafts.  If your best defense of Selig is to claim he's roughly the same as other commissioners, you're tacitly admitting that he sucks rocks.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: May 01, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
How does it allow any leeway?  Follow a hard cap or lose your picks?

And who cares about a cap or floor?  Pirates fans called and they just wanted to say hi.

I could care less about pirates fans, if a city can't support a team with a payroll determined on the open market (as opposed to artificially in other sports), maybe that city isn't really a major league city anymore

teams can allocate money in the mlb draft within a certain range (unlike the NBA) and they are also free to spend whatever they want on international players (unlike other sports where they are subject to the draft)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: May 01, 2012, 04:50:39 PM »
Draft slotting just took away the Pirates and other small market teams best strategy to combat the large market teams. And you're okay with that?  Teams with cheap ass owners like the Nationals, are also affected by this. 

Hope you enjoy the Yankees and Red Sox winning more games.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #16: May 01, 2012, 04:52:06 PM »
Draft slotting just took away the Pirates and other small market teams best strategy to combat the large market teams. And you're okay with that? 

I think it sucks, but they still have the international market (cespedes anyone?), and they still will have better draft position, and more picks thanks to this new competitive balance lottery

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #17: May 01, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »
Hope you enjoy the Yankees and Red Sox winning more games.

1, they also spend a fortune in the draft

2, how exactly are they going to improve their farms at the expense of small market teams who will have better and more picks?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #18: May 01, 2012, 04:55:48 PM »
Who gives a damn about farm systems now that draft slotting basically killed the farm systems.

Now teams only have one way to get ahead... paying more than other teams for free agents.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #19: May 01, 2012, 04:56:50 PM »
Who gives a damn about farm systems now that draft slotting basically killed the farm systems.

Now teams only have one way to get ahead... paying more than other teams for free agents.

so now Harper would be able to just sign with the yankees right out of school?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #20: May 01, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
What in the hell are you even talking about?

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #21: May 01, 2012, 05:02:46 PM »
What in the hell are you even talking about?

bad teams still get high draft picks, better players get picked high in the draft- how has that changed?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #22: May 01, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »
Because talent no longer slips and you can't buy it. Thus leveling the talent distribution of the draft. Where as in the past the small market teams could pay over slot for falling talent.

Creating a cookie cutter approach to farm systems. The only advantage teams have now is paying more in free agency.

Advantage large market teams. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: May 01, 2012, 05:07:06 PM »
Because talent no longer slips and you can't buy it. Thus leveling the talent distribution of the draft. Where as in the past the small market teams could pay over slot for falling talent.

big market teams were starting to do the same thing- with the yankees and redsox involved, how long could Pittsburgh have realistically done the same thing? Not the also get the additional lottery picks- I'd take essentially a high first rounder and an additional first rounder over hoping talent slips. They also still have the international market

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #24: May 01, 2012, 05:08:55 PM »
IFA classes are never as rich in talent as the mlb draft.