Author Topic: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 1  (Read 31342 times)

Offline nats2playoffs

Re: Nationals vs Diamondbacks, Game 1
« Reply #1050: May 02, 2012, 12:58:15 AM »
ATTENDANCE at this match: 22,675  

:uk:

Can a Mod LOCK the YNOT thread?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1051: May 02, 2012, 06:19:18 AM »

I didn't believe that number when I read it but it's correct, holy crap that's low considering the hype for Harper's debut, my projection was off by 10K.  I'll bet that the actual attendance was significantly lower as there were tons of tickets listed for under $5 on StubHub as of late yesterday afternoon.  Fantastic weather and a first place team, where the hell is everybody?  Tonight is really going to be lightly attended with the Caps playing up the road, I'll be there with a few hundred other people.

Back in 2008 the team was bragging that they had one of the lowest no show percentages in the league but those days are long gone, now when they announce the paid attendance you can generally figure that half to two thirds of that number actually showed up to use the tickets they purchased.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #1052: May 02, 2012, 07:44:26 AM »
The place looked just that bit over half-full. Interestingly, if just one person had not bought a ticket for last night, the attendance would have been 22,674 - exactly the same as the announced attendance for a Diamondbacks visit on Friday 7th August 2009.

Expect a smaller turn-out tonight with the Capitals playing Game 3 against the Rangers tonight at the Phone Booth, along with 50% chance of rain today and 30% chance tonight (per Yahoo! Weather).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1053: May 02, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »
I didn't believe that number when I read it but it's correct, holy crap that's low considering the hype for Harper's debut, my projection was off by 10K.  I'll bet that the actual attendance was significantly lower as there were tons of tickets listed for under $5 on StubHub as of late yesterday afternoon.  Fantastic weather and a first place team, where the hell is everybody?  Tonight is really going to be lightly attended with the Caps playing up the road, I'll be there with a few hundred other people.

Back in 2008 the team was bragging that they had one of the lowest no show percentages in the league but those days are long gone, now when they announce the paid attendance you can generally figure that half to two thirds of that number actually showed up to use the tickets they purchased.

Weeknight, school in session, relatively short notice on Harper...

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #1054: May 02, 2012, 08:36:58 AM »

We get the attendance we deserve.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1055: May 02, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
Weeknight, school in session, relatively short notice on Harper...

Bullcrap

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1056: May 02, 2012, 08:56:36 AM »
Once again, attendance ridiculed by Willie Geist and Joe Scarborough this AM.  They cannot believe Harper's home debut had empty seats.  Credit to those guys - they really do love baseball.   They showed Harper's first AB and the throw and tag. Got on the ump's case and went on about what an incredible arm Harper has.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #1057: May 02, 2012, 09:01:42 AM »
It's going to take a long time to build up attendance in this town. A long time.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1058: May 02, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »
However lamentably low the announced (and actual) Nats attendance may be, I will give the Nats organisation credit for one thing: at least their attendance figures are reasonably honest...certainly when compared to the Wizards who have fallen back on Susan O'Malley Math - I made it to all but two Wizards home matches this past season, many of which were at best half full but had announced attendances in the 16-17k range (the Phone Booth seats a bit over 20k for basketball) - Leonsis must be handing out freebies to various organisations by the boxcar-load (or is the front office just eating a few thousand tickets to make the figures look more respectable - the Wizards' non-corporate STH base isn't that big)...whatever, no need for Monumental Sports to insult people's intelligence with such numbers.

At least last night, Nats Park looked more or less like the 20k-and-change they announced.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1059: May 02, 2012, 10:12:20 AM »
It's going to take a long time to build up attendance in this town. A long time.

exactly.

everyone think the Lerners are saints and the nats are the hottest ticket in town, need to remind you, remember how they buried this team and treated the fan base like crap for all those losing seasons.  attendance isn't going to plummet overnight.  the lerners lost a lot of goodwill from fans.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1060: May 02, 2012, 10:20:52 AM »

With the Redskins drafting RG3 any window they may have had to get a market share in the sports world in DC has passed.  I don't think a WS run would even bring people in thanks to the Lerners and Stan the Plan pissing on the teams brand when they opened Nats Park.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1061: May 02, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
I think first place in August would get them 30k per night

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1062: May 02, 2012, 10:21:49 AM »

Agree  ....  it took 'em a long time to get this low as well.   

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1063: May 02, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
exactly.

everyone think the Lerners are saints and the nats are the hottest ticket in town, need to remind you, remember how they buried this team and treated the fan base like crap for all those losing seasons.  attendance isn't going to plummet overnight.  the lerners lost a lot of goodwill from fans.

In this town, if a sports team wants to draw fans...unless it's the Redskins, it must win. We've already seen that with the Capitals - selling out like crazy these days (despite skyrocketing ticket prices) but back in the seasons flanking the NHL lock-out they could hardly draw flies to a picnic.

Put a quality product on the diamond and the Nats will draw fans...put out the offence-challenged product we've seen these past few weeks and (unless the opponent is the Phillies or Cubs or some other team that travels well) matchgoers in the 400's and much of the outfield seating will be able to relax in solitary splendour.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1064: May 02, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »
I think first place in August would get them 30k per night

I don't.  The only time they have to really hook people is going to be June and July.  If attendance is crap then might as well go ahead and accept this:

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1065: May 02, 2012, 10:25:16 AM »
I think people will hop on a bandwagon once playoffs are a sure thing

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1066: May 02, 2012, 10:52:46 AM »
I think people will hop on a bandwagon once playoffs are a sure thing

Selling out a 20K climate controlled arena with a team that plays half as many games is much easier than selling 35K+ for 81 games in the DC summer soup.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1067: May 02, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Does the heat bother you MDS ?

Selling out a 20K climate controlled arena with a team that plays half as many games is much easier than selling 35K+ for 81 games in the DC summer soup.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1068: May 02, 2012, 10:54:38 AM »
Does the heat bother you MDS ?

Of course it does.  You'd have to summer in Hell for it not to.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1069: May 02, 2012, 11:10:17 AM »
The Caps attendance took at least a year to jump up after they started winning.  In Ovie's first few seasons DC was getting ripped as a hockey town because we had the best player in the world and we weren't drawing big crowds.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1070: May 02, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »
Again, half the capacity and half the games.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1071: May 02, 2012, 11:21:25 AM »
Of course it does.  You'd have to summer in Hell for it not to.

Your inner Maya is talking

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #1072: May 02, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
Again, half the capacity and half the games.

The Caps don't sell five and ten dollar tickets, they play games when it is dark, cold, and snowy when people want to stay home, and a much smaller percent of the local fan base has ever played the game.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #1073: May 02, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »
The Caps attendance took at least a year to jump up after they started winning.  In Ovie's first few seasons DC was getting ripped as a hockey town because we had the best player in the world and we weren't drawing big crowds.

In the first two post-lock-out seasons the Caps finished with losing records and missed the playoffs (and drew accordingly)...in 2007-08 they did make the playoffs, and in the season after that the still-ongoing sell-out streak began.

It's going to take a while for the Nats to become a consistent draw as well. A campaign similar to that of the '05 Overachievers will get a decent boomlet started, at least until football season begins...but if the time comes when they are in first place or within biting distance of a wild-card berth on Labour Day the turnstiles will get going, and a NLDS trip (especially with a series win) will see crowds of 30k in the park for Tuesday nighters against the Marlins. One has to figure in, too, that (1) more people identify with baseball than with hockey, and (2) Nats tickets are much easier to get and more affordable - at least as of now - than Caps tickets (Caps are effectively sold out on season tickets as it is*), so that would help fuel an attendance boom as well  - IF/WHEN THIS TEAM STARTS WINNING CONSISTENTLY.

*They do make a few singles available (I think there is some league rule requiring this, or something similar) on their website, but the prices are horriific ($95 including handling for a regular-season ticket in the nosebleeds?).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1074: May 02, 2012, 12:16:16 PM »
so what's the weather like tonight ... can we get this game in tonight?