Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012-2013)  (Read 94538 times)

Offline welch

• Griff says "Call young Mr. Souza"
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #4125: September 11, 2013, 08:11:01 AM »

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #4126: September 11, 2013, 08:35:06 AM »
I'll drop off some lollipops to feed the unicorns, then back to the middle ground.

Offline Slateman

• Bench Harper, Free Souza
« Reply #4127: September 11, 2013, 08:43:32 AM »
Once more unto the breach, dear friends?

Offline RL04

« Reply #4128: September 11, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
Once more unto the breach, dear friends?

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility;
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger.

- - - -

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered-
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother

Billy sure knew how to write.    ;)

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #4129: September 20, 2013, 12:24:02 AM »
With his 20th HR tonight Harper becomes only the 2nd player to notch two 20 HR seasons before his 21st birthday.  The other was Tony Conigliaro.

Very cool story about Harper and Werth from today:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2013/sep/20/bryce-harpers-20th-home-run-season-leads-nationals/

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #4130: September 24, 2013, 11:58:43 AM »
Bleacher Report, of all sites, has a good article arguing that Harper's achievements this year are being under-appreciated.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1781111-is-bryce-harpers-early-success-actually-being-underappreciated

Among 111 players in history to play full-time during his first two seasons (min. 1,000 PA) and post an on-base percentage of at least .350.

Slugging above .500 this season with more than 100 games played, which puts him on this 24-man list.

One of five guys with 20-plus home runs and 10-plus stolen bases as both a rookie and second-year player.

Most players associated with Harper via the above indexes spent more time than he did in the minor leagues, extra years at the collegiate level or both.

Bleacher Report's Zachary Rymer is convinced that Harper will dominate the sport in 2014. He ranks 27th in the B/R MLB 500 thanks to his advanced plate discipline and power to all fields.

And he's one of two players in MLB history to have two 20HR seasons before his 21st birthday.

Offline Slateman

• Bench Harper, Free Souza
« Reply #4131: September 24, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
But we all know it was an underachievment. We saw what he was doing at the end of last season and the first month of this season.

Offline imref

• Like my arm slot?
« Reply #4132: September 24, 2013, 02:21:31 PM »
But we all know it was an underachievment. We saw what he was doing at the end of last season and the first month of this season.

yep, he's played hurt, and still managed a pretty impressive season.

Offline zimm_da_kid

« Reply #4133: September 24, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
without the injury I have no doubt he would have easily hit 30+ bombs

I fully expect a .300/.420/.520/35HR/100 RBI next year

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4134: September 24, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »

I fully expect a .300/.420/.520/35HR/100 RBI next year

The odds are better that he'll run into another wall...

Offline PC

« Reply #4135: September 24, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »
I"ll do .310/.440/.595 40HR/120RBI MVP season next year...and no walls.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4136: September 24, 2013, 05:49:15 PM »
I"ll do .310/.440/.595 40HR/120RBI MVP season next year...and no walls.

I'll have some of what ever substance you're abusing...  :D

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #4137: September 24, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
I'll have some of what ever substance you're abusing...  :D

Well, you better hope they help with your manic depressive tendencies.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4138: September 24, 2013, 05:59:05 PM »
Well, you better hope they help with your manic depressive tendencies.

You could a healthy dose of reality...

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #4139: September 24, 2013, 06:04:30 PM »
You could a healthy dose of reality...

I use baseball to escape reality, thanks.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4140: September 24, 2013, 06:28:27 PM »
I use baseball to escape reality, thanks.

Clearly...

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #4141: September 24, 2013, 07:09:32 PM »
Clearly...

It's an escape, brother. I get enough whining and gloom and doom every day at the office. I don't need to get on here and get it some more from people like you who've made it an art form.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
« Reply #4142: September 24, 2013, 07:19:45 PM »
It's an escape, brother. I get enough whining and gloom and doom every day at the office. I don't need to get on here and get it some more from people like you who've made it an art form.

Maybe you should quit your job...no sense doing something you're not happy with...

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4143: September 24, 2013, 07:23:39 PM »
Maybe you should quit your job...no sense doing something you're not happy with...

:crackup:  :clap:

Offline Optics

« Reply #4144: September 24, 2013, 07:31:43 PM »
Well I think some people forget just how dominant Harper was to start the year. He may not have kept up the .350 BA pace but on doubt he would have hit .300+ with 30+ bombs.

I think next year we'll see Harper hit his stride and be a legit MVP contender. .320+ BA, 30+ bombs, possibly 20+ steals(depends on the new Manager's approach to base stealing)and 100+ RBIs(assuming he hits middle of the order again which he should).

Offline PC

« Reply #4145: September 26, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »
ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III knows there's someone in town who might be able to help him with his sliding.

And he'll be available soon.

Robert Griffin III acknowledges that he could use help -- even outside-the-NFL help -- with sliding, which might reduce the number of big hits he takes.

"I mean, if Bryce [Harper] wants to do that, I'm definitely up for that," Griffin said. "Bryce, we can do that if you want to, buddy."

Harper will have some extra time on his hands after the Washington Nationals' season ends Sunday. But even the 20-year-old phenom might not provide enough help in teaching Griffin how to do the one thing his coaches want him to do more of this season: get low and avoid big hits.

It was evident a year ago that Griffin struggled in this discipline, and on Sunday against the Detroit Lions, he provided reminders. On one run, Griffin tried to slide after gaining 4 yards. But he looked more like a Little Leaguer trying to slide into second base for the first time and instead plopping to the ground.

Later in the game, a 27-20 loss for the winless Redskins, Griffin dived headfirst at the end of a run rather than slide. Again, more problems. As Griffin tried to protect himself with his left arm, the ball popped out when he hit the ground. Having one arm on the ball wasn't enough.

"The problem is I'm not a great slider," Griffin said. "I know how to slide, but I don't know how to baseball slide, and I think that's what they're talking about.

"But there is just more of an emphasis on sliding feet-first as opposed to going forward, since that rule is in place. It protects you as a quarterback going backward, going feet-first, so that's what you've got to do, so just make a mental note of that and try to slide feet-first."

Washington's quarterbacks in general, and Griffin in particular, do not work on sliding during practice. Griffin did slide during training camp a few times, once drawing hearty applause from fans for doing so at the end of a run.

"You basically run up to a defender and you slide," Griffin said to laughter Wednesday. "It's easier to slide with football pants on. The slickness of the pants ... I know I'm going a little too deep here, but the slickness of the pants helps you slide. When you have shorts on and stuff like that, it's a little less conducive to sliding on the practice field. But I have."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9725459/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-lobbies-bryce-harper-some-sliding-help

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #4146: September 26, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »
With that brace, he's going to have to slide on his other side. Dunno if Bryce ever slides on his right side.

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III knows there's someone in town who might be able to help him with his sliding.

And he'll be available soon.

Robert Griffin III acknowledges that he could use help -- even outside-the-NFL help -- with sliding, which might reduce the number of big hits he takes.

"I mean, if Bryce [Harper] wants to do that, I'm definitely up for that," Griffin said. "Bryce, we can do that if you want to, buddy."

Harper will have some extra time on his hands after the Washington Nationals' season ends Sunday. But even the 20-year-old phenom might not provide enough help in teaching Griffin how to do the one thing his coaches want him to do more of this season: get low and avoid big hits.

It was evident a year ago that Griffin struggled in this discipline, and on Sunday against the Detroit Lions, he provided reminders. On one run, Griffin tried to slide after gaining 4 yards. But he looked more like a Little Leaguer trying to slide into second base for the first time and instead plopping to the ground.

Later in the game, a 27-20 loss for the winless Redskins, Griffin dived headfirst at the end of a run rather than slide. Again, more problems. As Griffin tried to protect himself with his left arm, the ball popped out when he hit the ground. Having one arm on the ball wasn't enough.

"The problem is I'm not a great slider," Griffin said. "I know how to slide, but I don't know how to baseball slide, and I think that's what they're talking about.

"But there is just more of an emphasis on sliding feet-first as opposed to going forward, since that rule is in place. It protects you as a quarterback going backward, going feet-first, so that's what you've got to do, so just make a mental note of that and try to slide feet-first."

Washington's quarterbacks in general, and Griffin in particular, do not work on sliding during practice. Griffin did slide during training camp a few times, once drawing hearty applause from fans for doing so at the end of a run.

"You basically run up to a defender and you slide," Griffin said to laughter Wednesday. "It's easier to slide with football pants on. The slickness of the pants ... I know I'm going a little too deep here, but the slickness of the pants helps you slide. When you have shorts on and stuff like that, it's a little less conducive to sliding on the practice field. But I have."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9725459/robert-griffin-iii-washington-redskins-lobbies-bryce-harper-some-sliding-help

Offline HalfSmokes

• You're sicke Jesse, sick sick sick
« Reply #4147: September 26, 2013, 01:53:28 PM »
on the list of concerns, this is pretty low. I'd rather his decision making on when to slide be the focus of any sliding practice. the other thing is, do you really want him sliding over and over again in practice? Can you imagine the backlash if he injured himself sliding in practice?

Offline TigerFan

• A split allegiance is still an allegiance
« Reply #4148: September 26, 2013, 02:10:04 PM »
How in the world can someone so athletic not know how to properly slide?  I thought learning to slide was something athletes were born with. 

Offline HalfSmokes

• You're sicke Jesse, sick sick sick
« Reply #4149: September 26, 2013, 02:32:25 PM »
How in the world can someone so athletic not know how to properly slide?  I thought learning to slide was something athletes were born with. 

he probably spent his time from pop warner avoiding going down