Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 189261 times)

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #250: May 07, 2012, 06:25:43 PM »
BiL: Was it actually Atlanta or was it Cobb? Just asking because the Cobb teams are ridiculous and I know they have a huge wood bat tournament there that's essentially a showcase. A lot of the kids I have coached have been invited down there for the wood bat tourney each year.

Offline ETNbaseballfan

« Reply #251: May 07, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
Welcome. Cool first post. When my son was 15 he played in a wood bat tournament in Atlanta and Bryce's "San Diego Show" team was there. He was followed around like a rock star. I got to see him AB one time. He struck out looking on a very bad call by the ump. He left the tournament after that, after only six ABs.

People were talking about his BP like it was other worldly. My son still talks about watching him hit in BP. And Bryce was only 14 and was playing up.

Thanks.

He can definitely put on a show. A few weeks before I watched him play as a 13 year old, I read an article about his performance in an Alabama tournament. I don’t remember his exact stats for the Alabama tournament, but he was something like 11 for 11 with 9 homeruns against some of the best teams in his age group.  I decided that it would be worth my time to watch him play. Fortunately for me, he participated in a tournament in my area shortly after I saw that article.  During his AB’s, all the fans at the other fields would walk over to his field to watch him hit.

It also gives you an idea of how much he traveled for baseball even at a young age. 

Offline ETNbaseballfan

« Reply #252: May 07, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
BiL: Was it actually Atlanta or was it Cobb? Just asking because the Cobb teams are ridiculous and I know they have a huge wood bat tournament there that's essentially a showcase. A lot of the kids I have coached have been invited down there for the wood bat tourney each year.

You are probably referring to the Perfect Game World Wood Bat tournament that is held at the East Cobb Complex and other local high schools.

You are right about East Cobb teams. That organization has produced hundreds of college and pro players.  Georgia is obviously loaded with talent. When you combine that talent with great coaches and great facilities, you get the results that East Cobb has produced.  Their baseball complex is only a few hours from me, so I’ve taken my teams there several times. It is a great place to play baseball against some really good competition.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #253: May 07, 2012, 09:47:47 PM »
Thanks.

He can definitely put on a show. A few weeks before I watched him play as a 13 year old, I read an article about his performance in an Alabama tournament. I don’t remember his exact stats for the Alabama tournament, but he was something like 11 for 11 with 9 homeruns against some of the best teams in his age group.  I decided that it would be worth my time to watch him play. Fortunately for me, he participated in a tournament in my area shortly after I saw that article.  During his AB’s, all the fans at the other fields would walk over to his field to watch him hit.

It also gives you an idea of how much he traveled for baseball even at a young age. 

i think the game you are talking about is the one that they mentioned in his sports illustrated article when he was 15.  i believe he was 12-12 with 11 bombs and a double.  that was at age 12 playing up.

Offline ETNbaseballfan

« Reply #254: May 07, 2012, 10:00:13 PM »
i think the game you are talking about is the one that they mentioned in his sports illustrated article when he was 15.  i believe he was 12-12 with 11 bombs and a double.  that was at age 12 playing up.

Thanks, I couldn’t remember the exact details. The original article that I saw about that performance was on a travel baseball website. That’s where I first heard about him.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #255: May 07, 2012, 10:31:00 PM »
so sounds like people have known that bryce would be a star since he was like 10.  are there any current kids that are prodigies like that.  i can think of one (ariel antigua).

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #256: May 07, 2012, 10:43:40 PM »
Chelsea Baker

Offline Aussie_Nat

« Reply #258: May 08, 2012, 08:19:55 AM »
Where you from mate? I've been a member of the site almost 11 months and everyone still thinks I'm a novelty. I still know a total of zero nats fans living in oz

G'day there digger. I live in Ocean Grove, Vic. about half an hour from Geelong. What about yourself? I am primarily a Yankees fan (please be nice to me about that guys) but my wife and l just came back from her parents place (they live in Gaithersburg, MD.) and we got to see a few Nats games. Just to see the hype about Strasburg, Harper and co. got me excited. I know it's probably not right, but l now have a team in both leagues.

Offline aussienatsfan

« Reply #259: May 08, 2012, 09:32:15 AM »
G'day there digger. I live in Ocean Grove, Vic. about half an hour from Geelong. What about yourself? I am primarily a Yankees fan (please be nice to me about that guys) but my wife and l just came back from her parents place (they live in Gaithersburg, MD.) and we got to see a few Nats games. Just to see the hype about Strasburg, Harper and co. got me excited. I know it's probably not right, but l now have a team in both leagues.

I've been to Ocean Grove, nice place. I live up on the Mornington peninsula, in mt Martha.

When I started getting into baseball I decided I wanted to follow a smaller team and watch them rise, I didn't even know about stras and Harper hadn't even been drafted, all I knew was there a guy called Zimmerman who was good at hitting.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #260: May 08, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
Hey, I live in Gaithersburg...  :D

And my daughter is in Australia right now, but up in Townsville, in Queensland.

Offline SkinsNDeacs

« Reply #261: May 08, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »
What are the odds Harper hits one into the Allegany tonight?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #262: May 08, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »
Slim to none.

Offline TylerDC

• The Future.
« Reply #263: May 08, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »

50%

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #264: May 08, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Slim to none.
50%

:tomterpbatsignal:

I'll bet he's got something that helps calculate the actual percentage based upon wind speed, distance, bat speed and Harper's Park Adjusted WAR.  :lol:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #265: May 08, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #266: May 08, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
:tomterpbatsignal:

I'll bet he's got something that helps calculate the actual percentage based upon wind speed, distance, bat speed and Harper's Park Adjusted WAR.  :lol:

:smh:  You're such a neophite.

How about temperature, altitude, and humidity?    :shrug:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #267: May 09, 2012, 02:21:38 PM »
:smh:  You're such a neophite.

How about temperature, altitude, and humidity?    :shrug:

Don't forget the gravitational pull of the moon.  :lol:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #269: May 09, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
One of Bryce's old teammates thinks that Harp will be getting a $400 million contract from the Yanks.  Lovely.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/bryce-harper-potentially-worth-400-million-says-someone/2012/05/09/gIQAxNLaDU_blog.html

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #270: May 09, 2012, 11:26:24 PM »
It was an author who followed him around for a year.  Not exactly gonna take his word for it.  That's a bridge we won't have to cross for 5 years or so.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #271: May 09, 2012, 11:31:06 PM »
One of Bryce's old teammates thinks that Harp will be getting a $400 million contract from the Yanks.  Lovely.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/bryce-harper-potentially-worth-400-million-says-someone/2012/05/09/gIQAxNLaDU_blog.html

That's a big ass number.

Offline ZimW1N

• ResignSoto2025
« Reply #272: May 10, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »

I thin that Harper will get about 15 years 450 million and I really, really hope that is is with the Nationals.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #273: May 10, 2012, 01:35:47 PM »

i dont give a single freak about this, but i dont think we can/should be/will be outbid by anyone in baseball for Bryce Harper. It'll be his decision whether he wants to stay with the same team and guys that have been good to him for his whole career or if he really wants to go to the pinstripes. If we're outbid, then what the freak are we waiting to spend our money on?

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #274: May 10, 2012, 01:39:25 PM »
i dont give a single freak about this, but i dont think we can/should be/will be outbid by anyone in baseball for Bryce Harper. It'll be his decision whether he wants to stay with the same team and guys that have been good to him for his whole career or if he really wants to go to the pinstripes. If we're outbid, then what the freak are we waiting to spend our money on?

If Harper develops like everyone thinks he will, he may be able to use DiMaggio's line when asked what Steinbrenner would have to offer him if he was still playing in the 70s.   DiMaggio is reported to have said something along the lines of, "George would have to call me partner."