Author Topic: The Bryce Harper Compendium (2012)  (Read 189253 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: The Bryce Harper Compendium
« Reply #1400: August 19, 2012, 10:15:21 AM »
Yea, great idea. If you're going to baby him, just send him down.

Offline blue911

« Reply #1401: August 19, 2012, 10:22:48 AM »
With back to back lefties, Bryce was going to sit one or the other.  That's the time to play Moore.  Just so happens that Davey picked the right game to put Harper in (Santana) where he did some damage.  I don't know if there was a reason why Santana and not Niese.  Unless you prefer Moore not to stay fresh and play, I don't think there is much to complain about.

Niese pitches backwards. He is the type of lefty that Bryce struggles against. And you get to reenforce "hit the cut off man"

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1402: August 19, 2012, 10:45:40 AM »
Why the freak was Bryce Harper benched after a monster game ?

aren't you the same one that has said for weeks that harper needs a day off?

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1403: August 19, 2012, 02:17:22 PM »
I attended last night's game.  For me, not having Harper in the line-up, takes something special out of the game.  The first hit by the Mets that Werth missed, I think Harper would have caught (although it didn't result in a run).  The day before he had two hits - one, a home run - and I would have liked to have seen if he would have continued the hitting.  When he finally came to bat last night, he received the loudest ovation from the sell-out crowd.  I know others have to have chances (Moore, for example) but the game loses a real spark without Bryce. 

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1404: August 19, 2012, 03:14:55 PM »
Harper's last few at bats were great. Took pitches, made good contact, drove the ball, didn't get beaten by breaking stuff low and away.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1405: August 19, 2012, 05:33:59 PM »
Like I said, Bryce's at bats have been better. He's starting to come back to us

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1406: August 19, 2012, 05:40:38 PM »

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1407: August 19, 2012, 06:59:58 PM »
The list of players in baseball history to record at least 12 homers in their age 19 season: Tony Conigliaro (24), Mel Ott (18), Ken Griffey Jr. (16), Mickey Mantle (13) and Bryce Harper (12). That's pretty impressive company.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #1408: August 19, 2012, 10:36:26 PM »
He is the first teenager in major league history with 6 triples and 12 home runs.  Welcome to Washington, Mr. Harper!

Offline BH34Natural

« Reply #1409: August 19, 2012, 10:58:08 PM »
Helluva weekend

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1410: August 19, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
He is the first teenager in major league history with 6 triples and 12 home runs.  Welcome to Washington, Mr. Harper!

To be fair, how many other teenagers have had to deal with that out of town scoreboard in right center? Harper would have far fewer triples if not for some balls that hit off the very top of that.

Anyway, Harper hits that scoreboard with amazing regularity when he is hot, and it was good to see him hit it twice today. But is he really back, or did the Mets just make mistakes on the inside part of the plate to him?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1411: August 20, 2012, 12:13:15 AM »
Anyway, Harper hits that scoreboard with amazing regularity when he is hot, and it was good to see him hit it twice today. But is he really back, or did the Mets just make mistakes on the inside part of the plate to him?

I'm not sure it matters. "Being back" is primarily a psychological phenomenon; if he thinks he's back, he's back.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1412: August 20, 2012, 12:57:57 AM »
I'm not sure it matters. "Being back" is primarily a psychological phenomenon; if he thinks he's back, he's back.

Alas, if he thinks he can hit an outside breaking ball, that doesn't mean he can hit an outside breaking ball.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
« Reply #1413: August 20, 2012, 02:06:57 AM »
:ballbat:

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #1414: August 20, 2012, 04:42:42 AM »
To be fair, how many other teenagers have had to deal with that out of town scoreboard in right center? Harper would have far fewer triples if not for some balls that hit off the very top of that.

Same type of comments can be made about Tony C. at Fenway, Mantle with the poke down the right field line or the massive CF ...   Didn't Ott play in the Polo Grounds  ...  lots of peculiarities there.    Ain't disagreeing with you but every ballpark has it's oddities (especially with the elimination of those awful '70's cookie cutter joints).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1415: August 20, 2012, 10:13:27 AM »
Mitlen - the thing about what the Count is saying that is different for Harper is that most of the oddities in the parks of the guys you mention work in favor of the teenager.  I think the LF wall helped Conig, and Mantle was helped by a short power porch and gaps for XBH.  Harper, OTOH, has had his homers knocked down by the dimensions in right here, and right is a much more honest distance than fenway LF or old Yankee RF.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #1416: August 20, 2012, 10:50:32 AM »
Yeah, I'm arguing that Harper's triples numbers are going to be inflated because balls that would be home runs elsewhere are triples because of that scoreboard.

The fact that Harper runs out his home runs also means that he has more triples on balls that just barely fail to clear the fence. He had one of those off the scoreboard at Nats Park and also one of those in Atlanta over Memorial Day. A lot of guys will stand and admire those, only to get thrown out at second base. Harper just keeps cruising and ends up at third.

The kid will hit a lot of triples, but not because he is a natural triples hitter.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #1417: August 20, 2012, 10:54:11 AM »
The fact that Harper runs out his home runs also means that he has more triples on balls that just barely fail to clear the fence.
Agreed. I'm not sure how many other Nationals that hit would be a triple for - I expected it to only result in a double, actually. Harper runs it out.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #1418: August 20, 2012, 12:01:22 PM »
Not quite sure I follow you here, Count.  So what kind of player is a natural triples hitter ?

Yeah, I'm arguing that Harper's triples numbers are going to be inflated because balls that would be home runs elsewhere are triples because of that scoreboard.

The fact that Harper runs out his home runs also means that he has more triples on balls that just barely fail to clear the fence. He had one of those off the scoreboard at Nats Park and also one of those in Atlanta over Memorial Day. A lot of guys will stand and admire those, only to get thrown out at second base. Harper just keeps cruising and ends up at third.

The kid will hit a lot of triples, but not because he is a natural triples hitter.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1419: August 20, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »
Noy quite sure I follow you here, Count.  So what kind of player is a natural triples hitter ?

Jose Reyes?

I think as Harper gets older and stronger, some of the fly balls that are hitting that scoreboard will eventually go over the fence.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1420: August 20, 2012, 02:03:35 PM »
Austin Jackson and Jemile Weeks currently lead baseball in triples with 8

Not really power guys, but have speed. I'd be willing to bet that if you went back and reviewed their triples, at least half of them would have been doubles if the fielder had played the ball well.

Triples are about hustle and thinking triple out of the box. If you don't do that, it doesn't really matter how fast you are.

That being said, I agree that as Bryce gets older and stronger/better, those triples will become home runs. They could also do what the Mets did and change the dimensions of the stadium.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #1421: August 20, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »
Bryce Harper, defensively:

393 innings played in Right Field. -4 DRS, -1.7 UZR
398 innings played in Center Field. 11 DRS, 8.7 UZR

Offline blue911

« Reply #1422: August 20, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »
Bryce Harper, defensively:

393 innings played in Right Field. -4 DRS, -1.7 UZR
398 innings played in Center Field. 11 DRS, 8.7 UZR

Right field in Nats Park is freaked up. I wonder what the total UZR is for all that play there, 

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1423: August 20, 2012, 03:14:17 PM »
Too small a sample size for UZR, right?

Offline blue911

« Reply #1424: August 20, 2012, 03:20:58 PM »
Too small a sample size for UZR, right?

I would hope that the people compiling the data are noting ballpark effects. Play first at Coors blows for the first 4-5 innings cause you have to face a setting sun.