Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Michael Taylor, CF  (Read 18125 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Follow the Prospects: Michael Taylor, CF
« Reply #75: June 02, 2014, 10:58:43 PM »
Isn't Eury on the DL still?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #76: June 03, 2014, 12:32:33 AM »
He is. And they're not benching their top hitting prospect. Especially since Walters isn't even an OF'er.

Offline Glockypoo

« Reply #77: June 03, 2014, 08:04:36 AM »
Just now, Syracuse has Walters (.339), Souza (.359), and Hood (.330) in the OF. All have OPS > 9. Looks like Eury Perez and Goodwin are benched.

Or Goodwin hit a homerun last night while playing CF and Walters played 2B.

You know, normal stuff.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #78: June 06, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
Named Eastern League Player of the Month. :clap:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #79: June 09, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
From BA today:

Michael Taylor, of, Harrisburg (Nationals): After winning the Eastern League’s player of the month award for May, Taylor hasn’t missed a beat in June. The center fielder was 1-for-2 with two walks, two runs and his 17th stolen base of the season on Sunday in a win over Eduardo Rodriguez and Bowie. He’s 9-for-25 so far this month with a double, a homer, six RBIs and three stolen bases. Not bad for someone who’s second on the system’s depth chart in center field. If he finishes this month with the same level of production as he’s had early on, Brian Goodwin might start to hear footsteps in Syracuse.

Offline vernon337

« Reply #80: June 09, 2014, 04:39:34 PM »
As might be expected, Taylor's May-June hitting surge is accompanied by a decrease in the number of strikeouts per plate appearance.  His strikeout rate has dropped from 40% of PAs in April to 26% since then.

Still too high, and a small sample, but somewhat encouraging.

Offline blue911

« Reply #81: June 09, 2014, 04:44:49 PM »
As might be expected, Taylor's May-June hitting surge is accompanied by a decrease in the number of strikeouts per plate appearance.  This is an estimate (I can't find a site that shows monthly breakdowns including HBP and sacrifices), but his strieout rate appears to have dropped from about 41% of PAs in April to about 27% since then.

Still too high, and a small sample, but somewhat encouraging.

Www.minorleaguecentral.com

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #83: June 09, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »
Www.minorleaguecentral.com

Wow, Souza has Taylor "beat" in wOBA 0.493 to 0.437  :shock:

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #84: June 09, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
Wow, Souza has Taylor "beat" in wOBA 0.493 to 0.437  :shock:
Simple solution: Drop Dobbs, promote Souza, promote Taylor.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #85: June 09, 2014, 09:44:47 PM »

Agreed.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #86: June 10, 2014, 09:12:22 AM »

not unless they can get regular playing time, which at this point they can't.  (Yeah, I know what my avatar says).

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #87: June 10, 2014, 03:51:02 PM »
not unless they can get regular playing time, which at this point they can't.  (Yeah, I know what my avatar says).

Zimmerman to third, Rendon to second, Espinosa to somewhere else. That would give you a couple of weeks to see what you have until harper comes back

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #88: June 10, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
Zimmerman to third, Rendon to second, Espinosa to somewhere else. That would give you a couple of weeks to see what you have until harper comes back

yeah, I made that same argument - that Souza in LF / Zimm and 3B > Zimm in LF and Espinosa at 2B, but Espinosa is hitting just well enough to keep the dogs at bay.

I think you can pencil Taylor in as the starting CF or the 4th OF in 2016 (depending on Goodwin's progress), but next year's OF will probably look just like this year's (with Zimm at 1B).

Offline daggerrrrrr

« Reply #89: June 12, 2014, 11:52:56 PM »
Michael A. Taylor’s offensive explosion at Harrisburg

“You’ve got that talent and the swing that’s coming around and that consistency of not chasing balls early in the count,” Harris said. “Getting into hitter’s counts and taking good quality swings in the count. He’s got more hits up the middle already that he had all of last year. You look at the last month or month and a half the strikeouts have gone down.”

It is impressive that Taylor has managed to put up big numbers despite striking out 82 times, about 37 percent of his at-bats. He has made a concerted effort to cut down on his strikeouts. In 84 April at-bats, he struck out 39 times. In 107 May at-bats, he trimmed the number to 33. If Taylor can trim his strikeout numbers — the major league average strikeout rate now, for example, is nearly 21 percent — then his production could even more impressive.

Daubach said that Taylor’s season at Class A Potomac last year was the best all-around defensive performance by any center fielder he’s ever seen at any level, and he played parts of eight seasons in the majors leagues. In spring training, Nationals Manager Matt Williams rated him as an 80 defender on the 20 to 80 scouting scale. A National League scout said there was no better defensive center fielder on earth.

“He can get virtually every ball and has an arm,” Daubach said. “Being an infielder previously, he charges the ball so well and gets right of it very quickly, a lot quicker than most.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2014/06/11/michael-a-taylors-offensive-explosion-at-harrisburg/

Btw Taylor hit his 16th homerun today.

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #90: June 13, 2014, 09:18:40 AM »
yeah, I made that same argument - that Souza in LF / Zimm and 3B > Zimm in LF and Espinosa at 2B

Not sure I agree with that, but I do think it's an option.  I just don't see it happening anytime soon with how well the team is playing.

It's good to have so many options.

« Reply #91: June 13, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
You have to promote him to AAA at this point, right?

Goodwin didn't come close to doing this in AA last year.

Edit: And who cares about your strikeout numbers if your OBP is .400 and you're an 80 defender. Promote him now

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #92: June 13, 2014, 10:11:40 AM »

Edit: And who cares about your strikeout numbers if your OBP is .400 and you're an 80 defender. Promote him now

Most people don't really believe there are benefits to a player playing in AAA over AA.  Thus, many prospects are promoted directly from AA.  The majority of guys that have to go to AAA for a year or 2 are typically guys that need an extra year of development and don't want the player repeating the same level or guys that just don't have a spot on the big league club yet

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #93: June 13, 2014, 10:14:06 AM »
Most people don't really believe there are benefits to a player playing in AAA over AA.  Thus, many prospects are promoted directly from AA.  The majority of guys that have to go to AAA for a year or 2 are typically guys that need an extra year of development and don't want the player repeating the same level or guys that just don't have a spot on the big league club yet

this team seems to promote through AAA- even the big prospects like Strasburg, Harper, and Rendon came up by way of Syracuse

Offline Salamander Man

« Reply #94: June 13, 2014, 10:16:57 AM »
I guess, but Harper played all of 21 games in AAA.  Strasburg pitched in 6.  Rendon played in 3 games in AAA

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #95: June 13, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »
this team seems to promote through AAA- even the big prospects like Strasburg, Harper, and Rendon came up by way of Syracuse
Zimmerman went from Low A to AA to the majors in one season.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #96: June 13, 2014, 10:44:11 AM »
Different gm

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #97: June 13, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »

Agree. Really don't care about the strikeouts at this point. Really want to see him in Triple A. Then again, I want to see Souza in LF

« Reply #98: June 13, 2014, 12:16:04 PM »
The best move might be to call up Taylor to the MLB while Harper is still out, and see if Taylor allows you to trade high on Span.

But I doubt they'd do it as I think moving Zimmerman back to third is a bluff.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #99: June 13, 2014, 12:22:19 PM »
If he's striking out in aa, major league pitching may be rough (does anyone know if its swing and miss or looking?)