Author Topic: Davey Management Style  (Read 25959 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Davey Management Style
« Reply #475: September 21, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
Slateman slamming Davey??

NO WAI!!

Offline PC

« Reply #476: September 21, 2012, 10:34:57 PM »
His bullpen management has been highly questionable, all season.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #477: September 21, 2012, 10:36:19 PM »
It's quite easy for you two to scream for a new pitcher after the fact. Truth is, most of the time... neither one of you two really make a guess ahead of time. It's all reacting.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #478: September 21, 2012, 10:46:14 PM »
It's quite easy for you two to scream for a new pitcher after the fact. Truth is, neither one of you two really make a guess ahead of time.

I wanted Storen to be closer days ago. I all but screamed it after the Dodgers game.

Actually, I've felt Clippard was overrated for a while. Remember, I'm the guy that was willing to include him in trade packages for Bourn or Span.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #479: September 22, 2012, 10:03:04 AM »
What if Storen is not ready to close every game?

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #480: September 22, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
What if Storen is not ready to close every game?

:panic:

Oh wait, unnamed people are already doing that. At least I know who is buying all the milk, toilet paper, and eggs every time there are flurries. ;)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #481: September 22, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »
:panic:

Oh wait, unnamed people are already doing that. At least I know who is buying all the milk, toilet paper, and eggs every time there are flurries. ;)

Welch lives in NYC, he ain't skeered of no flurries.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #482: September 22, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
I cannot complain too much as the crazy bastards in Seattle were abandoning their cars in the middle of the road during a blizzard. I still don't understand the logic, hey look blizzard, let's run into the cold, blinding storm. Yipee! Frostbite! :crazy:

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #483: September 22, 2012, 04:21:04 PM »
Welch lives in NYC, he ain't skeered of no flurries.

Nope. When I drove a taxi, serious snow was the cabbie's friend: all the "civilian" drivers got off the streets, and everybody wanted a cab. I also learned that snow is afraid of most of midtown...there are steam pipes under the sidewalks and pavement, so the snow melts.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #484: September 25, 2012, 06:21:29 PM »
Great BLorb quote today:

From #Nats GM Mike Rizzo on Davey Johnson: “I do want him back to manage next year. We had initial discussions. We both feel comfortable where we are at in that process. I said it before, Davey is part of the furniture as long as Mike Rizzo is general manager of the team.”

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #485: September 25, 2012, 06:25:48 PM »
Yeah, antique furniture.  :rimshot:

Love me some Davey!

Offline Ray D

« Reply #486: October 12, 2012, 09:11:38 AM »
Bringing in Zimmermann for an inning was a stroke of genius.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #487: October 12, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »

That's PLAYOFF BASEBALL!

I remember a year or two ago when the Giants brought Lincecum in to a Wildcard (*?) game. So awesome.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #488: October 12, 2012, 09:16:49 AM »
That's PLAYOFF BASEBALL!

I remember a year or two ago when the Giants brought Lincecum in to a Wildcard (*?) game. So awesome.

They did that this year too

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #489: October 12, 2012, 09:24:43 AM »
He really uncorked it. He hasn't thrown gas like that since before TJ surgery.

He's shown himself to be a guy that would do well in a four man rotation.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #490: October 12, 2012, 09:26:25 AM »
So Rizzo refers to himself in the third person now. :D
Great BLorb quote today:

From #Nats GM Mike Rizzo on Davey Johnson: “I do want him back to manage next year. We had initial discussions. We both feel comfortable where we are at in that process. I said it before, Davey is part of the furniture as long as Mike Rizzo is general manager of the team.”

Offline Ray D

« Reply #491: October 12, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
Bringing him in accomplished so much more than just getting an extra solid inning.  ("Solid" being a huge understatement.)  It re-established his confidence, which must have taken a big hit with his game 2 performance.   By letting him pitch to live batters on his throwing day it gave him a much better tune up than just throwing a bullpen session.  He'll be sharper his next start (Monday) for it.

You know in the "old days", managers would routinely put a starter in for an inning between starts on their throwing day, for just that reason, plus the fact that it relieved pressure on the bullpen.  I don't know why they no longer do it.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #492: October 12, 2012, 11:00:25 AM »
They did that this year too

Well yea but I don't think it was as cool as it was back then since Lincecum was on fire that year and he as scheduled to pitch a day or two after.

Offline Ray D

« Reply #493: October 12, 2012, 11:03:50 AM »
Well yea but I don't think it was as cool as it was back then since Lincecum was on fire that year and he as scheduled to pitch a day or two after.

My memory may be flawed, but what I remember is that it was game 7 of the World Series (two years ago).  So no, he wasn't scheduled to pitch again (if my memory is correct).

Offline Copecwby20

« Reply #494: October 12, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
Davey reminds me of the grandpa in the Simpsons movie.... everyone was questioning his ramblings and actions until the end of the movie, when he turned out to be right.

Offline zoom

« Reply #495: October 12, 2012, 11:21:04 AM »
Bringing him in accomplished so much more than just getting an extra solid inning.  ("Solid" being a huge understatement.)  It re-established his confidence, which must have taken a big hit with his game 2 performance.   By letting him pitch to live batters on his throwing day it gave him a much better tune up than just throwing a bullpen session.  He'll be sharper his next start (Monday) for it.

You know in the "old days", managers would routinely put a starter in for an inning between starts on their throwing day, for just that reason, plus the fact that it relieved pressure on the bullpen.  I don't know why they no longer do it.

this goes for Clippard as well.  we all of a sudden seem to have our 8th and 9th inning rotation back.

Offline Fan037

« Reply #496: October 12, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »

Agree 100%  And Davey's management yesterday set up Werth's heroics.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #497: October 12, 2012, 12:12:57 PM »
My memory may be flawed, but what I remember is that it was game 7 of the World Series (two years ago).  So no, he wasn't scheduled to pitch again (if my memory is correct).

He may have came in during game 7 but the game I was referring to was in the NLDS or NLCS or some type of elimination game.