Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 45258 times)

Offline RL04

Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #575: August 02, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
Based on recent performance, maybe St. Stephen shouldn't pitch in October.

Offline BigMeech

« Reply #576: August 02, 2012, 02:50:08 PM »
Let the LANIMAL flourish.

Offline blue911

« Reply #578: August 12, 2012, 10:13:39 AM »
If you have an hour to spare, here's a great interview about what went down with Lucas with his dad, Rick.  Really, really great, honest interview.  It starts an 1:38 in.  Check it out.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17891

About half way into the interview he talks about why they decided to sign with the Nationals.

I put this in here because it pertains to the Strasburg situation.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #579: August 13, 2012, 08:55:37 AM »
Imagine "Win the World Series" as a poll option after the 2009 season in this MLBTradeRumors poll on Strasburg.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #580: August 13, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
The suggestion by Blah Lowstoop that he will be skipped for 2 or 3 starts and may go up to 180 innings might mean he'll pitch a heck of a lot deeper into the year than if he just went his 6 innings a start until he hits his number.  If the innings limit is that high, I could easily see him being available for a start in the NLDS or, if needed, in the play in game.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #581: August 13, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »
It's just a poorly written article/tweet.

He meant he'll miss his last 2-3 starts and all of the playoffs.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #582: August 13, 2012, 09:54:24 AM »
Well, he doubled down on it on MLB.com, so it is more than a badly worded tweet.  He had time to clear it up if that is not what he meant.  Maybe the distance between his ears and his fingers is so great that it got garbled when it went through the brain filter, or else he seems to be suggesting the skipped starts will not all be post-shutdown.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #583: August 13, 2012, 02:50:41 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/stephen-strasburg-shutdown-grudgingly-accepted-in-washington-nationals-clubhouse/2012/08/13/ee310fc0-e4f7-11e1-8f62-58260e3940a0_story.html

Anyone have any thoughts on how this decision affects LaRoche's interest in coming back to this team.  I sense a bit of resentment that we aren't giving it our all this year from him. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #584: August 13, 2012, 02:56:03 PM »
I sense a bit of resentment that we aren't giving it our all this year from him. 

teams tend not to make decision to placate border line journeymen

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #585: August 13, 2012, 02:56:23 PM »
Imagine "Win the World Series" as a poll option after the 2009 season in this MLBTradeRumors poll on Strasburg.

Nobody thinks we will go past the NLDS either

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #586: August 13, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

I agree, but that doesn't answer my question.  I wasn't asking whether we should reconsider shutting down Stras b/c it might mean LaRoche wont' come back next year, I was simply asking if the decision to shut down Stras could lead to LaRoche deciding to go elsewhere. 

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #587: August 13, 2012, 03:02:53 PM »
So we are preserving his arm so he can have a long career in New York and boston? Absurd

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #588: August 13, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
Nobody thinks we will go past the ALDS either

Considering the caliber of players they see when they hear "former Washington National" I am not surprised. We'll do better in polls next year unless the wheels come off.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #589: August 13, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »

:lol:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #590: August 13, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »
I agree, but that doesn't answer my question.  I wasn't asking whether we should reconsider shutting down Stras b/c it might mean LaRoche wont' come back next year, I was simply asking if the decision to shut down Stras could lead to LaRoche deciding to go elsewhere. 

Stras's long-term health and productivity vs POSSIBLY resigning LaRoche. I chose Stras's long-term well being. We have him until 2014. If we pitch him for longer than the medical staff advises, we would be risking his career and his effectiveness next year.  Think of this shutdown as an investment in Stras. It is not worth forgoing this investment in Stras just for a potential resigning of LaRoche.

Rizzo has also been very upfront about the fact that they were shutting down Stras for his health and career. If they decided to override that decision just to make another player happy, then the Nats are going to be known as a club that overworks it's players to satisfy others. The Nats instead should be known as a team that will invest in players. We invested in Zimmermann, shutting him down last year, and look how he is doing now. We will shut down Stras and see him become better for it. This is a GOOD THING- what player or prospect will sign with us if they think the Nats will run them into the ground, doing what is "best" for now rather than do what is best for their future.

Not saying that the Nats should adopt every player that needs surgery and rehab but if a very good prospect knew he might need TJ surgery down the line he would prefer the Nats just because they know we would treat them well.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #591: August 13, 2012, 03:29:46 PM »
ugh I really should just stop posting here

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #592: August 13, 2012, 03:36:00 PM »
ugh I really should just stop posting here

Not trying to be mean to your or anything, but Rizzo seems to be going for the "caring" type of manager. As he said in the article you posted, " It’s caring about the player and the person more so than the won-loss record.”

Also LaRoche knows Stras will be back next year :shrug: and while LaRoche is a gem on this team if he walks he is not irreplaceable. We won't be able to get someone of his power but we can find/bring up people.

This is my opinion though of course. If LaRoche doesn't want to play on a team that is letting a player recover from his injury and surgery properly then maybe the Nats aren't for him.

Offline RL04

« Reply #593: August 13, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
The suggestion by Blah Lowstoop that (St. Stephen) will be skipped for 2 or 3 starts and may go up to 180 innings might mean he'll pitch a heck of a lot deeper into the year than if he just went his 6 innings a start until he hits his number.

Well, he doubled down on it on MLB.com, so it is more than a badly worded tweet.  He had time to clear it up if that is not what he meant. 

I suggested this months ago.   You can look it up.   I should be GM.    ;)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #594: August 13, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
For all we know, LaRoche could have been fronting for Stras.

I try not to read too much in to articles like this. We don't know what questions were asked, we don't know what follow-up questions were asked, and we don't know how LaRoche's answers were edited.

Not trying to be mean to your or anything, but Rizzo seems to be going for the "caring" type of manager. As he said in the article you posted, " It’s caring about the player and the person more so than the won-loss record.”

Also LaRoche knows Stras will be back next year :shrug: and while LaRoche is a gem on this team if he walks he is not irreplaceable. We won't be able to get someone of his power but we can find/bring up people.

This is my opinion though of course. If LaRoche doesn't want to play on a team that is letting a player recover from his injury and surgery properly then maybe the Nats aren't for him.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #595: August 13, 2012, 04:02:27 PM »
With the decision final, Nationals players find resolve in the strength of their rotation behind Strasburg. Gio Gonzalez and Jordan Zimmermann are both aces. Edwin Jackson has top-shelf stuff and postseason experience. Ross Detwiler has shown flashes of being a top-of-the-rotation starter. John Lannan has delivered two stellar starts when called up from Class AAA Syracuse for double headers.

This is how the Nationals’ rotation is: If Strasburg’s 43 earned runs allowed over 1331 / 3 innings were removed, the Nationals’ rotation would have a 3.30 ERA, still the best in the majors.
:az:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #597: August 13, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
:az:

What's the rotation ERA if they replace him with a 4.50 ERA?

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024
« Reply #598: August 13, 2012, 04:56:39 PM »
Lannan's 3.70 from last season would be a better comparison IMO. I am not sure how to play with ERA when it comes to calculating team ERA, but that is a good question. I bet top 5 still.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #599: August 13, 2012, 04:59:45 PM »

For two to three starts and unlikely to start in the post season?  I'm sure it wouldn't impact things too much.