Author Topic: Strasburg in October..  (Read 44199 times)

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
Re: Strasburg in October..
« Reply #350: July 06, 2012, 05:13:45 PM »
I don't know. Do you really think there will be an obvious choice? Unless Stras gets hurt before his anticipated shutdown in mid September, someone will always argue about it.

Yes, I think there's an obvious choice.  It's going to come down to what Strasburg wants, what the players want, and what the fans want.  If he's healthy he probably won't even want to discuss it.  If the doctors ok it, and it benefits the team in a pennant race, I don't think they can turn it down.  It's an old argument and Boz totally dismissed it, but no matter how methodical and well built you are chances to win are ultimately unpredictable.  It's obviously not without risk but I think that in the situation the Nats were still at or near the top of the NL in September that at that point it will be an easy choice.

I was listening to the crowd in the 9th last night and thinking about this.  I honestly don't know which is more important to the future of the franchise - building on the momentum they have with the fans right now or being ultra careful with Strasburg.  You can shrug that off, but if they shut him down they're dealing with serious risk of damaging something they've worked on all season long on the field and off.