Author Topic: Lannan Watch  (Read 17279 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Re: Lannan Watch
« Reply #150: August 26, 2012, 11:56:53 PM »
wow Jeff Mandel follows up Lannan's CG with one of his own. 9 IP 6 H 0 R 0 BB 4 K today vs AAA Braves

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #151: August 28, 2012, 07:23:48 AM »
Could be that when he's pitching in AAA, he's working on pitches rather than using his best stuff.

Interesting possibility

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #152: August 28, 2012, 08:11:18 AM »
Minor League Pitchers of the Week
For the week ending Aug. 26
Per MiLB.com
International League
John Lannan, Syracuse
(1-0, 0.00 ERA, 1 G, 1 GS, 1 CG, 1 SHO, 9 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 HR, 0 HBP, 1 BB, 2 K)
It's been a disappointing season for Lannan, who was the Nationals' Opening Day starter in 2010 but failed to make the Major League squad out of Spring Training this year. Though pitching well in two spot starts for Washington, the 27-year-old Lannan's season with Syracuse has been a mixed bag. Not so his start at Gwinnett on Saturday, in which he outdueled reigning IL Pitcher of the Year Julio Teheran in a three-hit shutout, his first since 2009. Lannan has 76 strikeouts and 50 walks in 139 2/3 Triple-A innings this season.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #153: August 30, 2012, 09:50:21 PM »
Lannan with another shutout tonight.  8 hits  10 Ks

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #154: August 30, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »
Lannan with another shutout tonight.  8 hits  10 Ks

10 Ks?? Who is this man and what has he done with John Lannan?

I can't possibly put into words how happy I would be if John Lannan came up and was dominant in the postseason. I know it's unlikely, but if he posts 3-4 playoff starts and pitches awesomely, I would be joyous for him, and for the organization.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #155: August 30, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
he's a better man then i'll ever be

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #156: August 30, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »

:mg:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #157: August 31, 2012, 03:05:10 AM »
you all are dumbasses ... he's a major league starter

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #158: August 31, 2012, 08:25:45 AM »
Maybe this is John Lannan, and in all those earlier starts, he was working on his less effective pitches.

I can't possibly put into words how happy I would be if John Lannan came up and was dominant in the postseason. I know it's unlikely, but if he posts 3-4 playoff starts and pitches awesomely, I would be joyous for him, and for the organization.

Online Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #159: August 31, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »

Wouldn't Det be the 4th starter in a playoff rotation?

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #160: August 31, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »

Shhh, don't crush my dreams!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #161: August 31, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
Not that I think it is likely, but one of the reasons some analysts have said the Nats should pick up another starter is to shift Detwiler back to the bullpen for the playoffs.  He is death to lefties, with a ridiculous GB% (65%), a GB%:FB% ratio of 3+:1, strikes out 22% of lefties, and has a 3:1 K:BB ratio.  Not that he's ineffective against righties, but he dominates lefties by most measures (he's been a bit unlucky on HR/FB).  He'd be a dynamite 7th inning option, allowing us to match up L-R-L with Gonzo / Mattheus / Det and save Storen and Burnett for the 8th.  He could  pitch a 5th and a 6th or extra innings.  He'd be taking the Gorzo role, so he'd be a clear upgrade. 

I still don't think it is likely, but if Lannan were lights out, you might see him making the roster for NLCS and WS to start game 4s if the thinking were that Det in the bullpen could be a good weapon.  It's basically a calculation of whether 10 -12 innings of Det in game 4s and Gorzo (or Lannan) as long men is more valuable than 10-12 innings of Lannan and Det in the pen instead of Gorzo.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #162: August 31, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
Detwiler ready in the pin if another starter looks like they might have a melt down start is a nice idea

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #163: August 31, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »

Psh .... Big Game Det should be the number 1

Offline loshjott

« Reply #164: August 31, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
This success is great, but pitching in AAA is a far cry from a few September starts in a pennant race. He may take the mound in Philly or Atl or St. Louis with a ton of pressure on him.  It would be nice to get him some major league work early next month before he takes over as 5th starter.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #165: August 31, 2012, 11:25:05 AM »
Maybe it would be like starting Gary Waslewski in game 6 ;)

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #166: August 31, 2012, 11:31:12 AM »
Lannan's first start this season was high pressure. Braves in DC; Friday night 9-0 lead evaporates to loss; Saturday afternoon game a Braves 4 - 1 win (roughly); Braves with momentum, Braves of destiny, Braves begin Saturday evening game hitting Lannan hard. Then crunch, and from about the beginning of 3rd, Lannan choked them. Nats come back to win, then win Sunday, and Braves slide.

He'll do OK. It's not like the Nats will be asking Matt Chico out of retorement...(and Detwiler seems exhausted by the 5th inning)

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #167: August 31, 2012, 11:53:11 AM »
Maybe it would be like starting Gary Waslewski in game 6 ;)

Or Anthony Reyes in Game 1 2006!

Offline NatsDad14

« Reply #168: August 31, 2012, 01:16:06 PM »
Lannan is going to pitch well. If the nats didn't screw him up, he would be in the playoff roster, most likely as the #3-4 starter.

Offline monkeyhit

« Reply #169: August 31, 2012, 03:02:38 PM »
Not that I think it is likely, but one of the reasons some analysts have said the Nats should pick up another starter is to shift Detwiler back to the bullpen for the playoffs.  He is death to lefties, with a ridiculous GB% (65%), a GB%:FB% ratio of 3+:1, strikes out 22% of lefties, and has a 3:1 K:BB ratio.  Not that he's ineffective against righties, but he dominates lefties by most measures (he's been a bit unlucky on HR/FB).  He'd be a dynamite 7th inning option, allowing us to match up L-R-L with Gonzo / Mattheus / Det and save Storen and Burnett for the 8th.  He could  pitch a 5th and a 6th or extra innings.  He'd be taking the Gorzo role, so he'd be a clear upgrade. 

I still don't think it is likely, but if Lannan were lights out, you might see him making the roster for NLCS and WS to start game 4s if the thinking were that Det in the bullpen could be a good weapon.  It's basically a calculation of whether 10 -12 innings of Det in game 4s and Gorzo (or Lannan) as long men is more valuable than 10-12 innings of Lannan and Det in the pen instead of Gorzo.

This makes sense to me, given that Detwiler seldom goes past five innings anyway. 

The thing that I would be interested in knowing is what they do with Lannan now that he is eligible to come up.  He will replace Stras, but Stras has two or three more starts, so will Lannan be in Washington or in Florida throwing simulated games every five days?  Just wonder how they orchestrate his situation.
 Anyone know?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170: August 31, 2012, 03:40:32 PM »
they also have a couple of off days before and after the series in Atlanta, so it may complicate going to a 6 man rotation. 

Just a guess -

Stras pitches Sunday 9/2, then they give Lannan a start sometime M - F next week, probably Friday 9/7.  Stras goes Sat 9/8 v. Marlins and is available to throw 9/14 in Atlanta if things are close. Lannan gets skipped if Stras throws in ATL, or pitches 9/14 if they've shut down Stras after this homestand.  Somehow I don't think Stras's last start is on 9/12 at Citi Field.

Offline PC

« Reply #172: August 31, 2012, 03:45:52 PM »
If they wanted to drop Lannan in, his start day would be Monday, against the Cubs.  It would fit perfectly because Strasburg pitches the day before.

It would also give Jackson an extra day off considering his pc was 123 yesterday.

It would push his last start to the Braves series and everyone could pitch on regular rest afterwards because there's an off day after the Braves series.

Offline PC

« Reply #173: August 31, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »
If they wanted to drop Lannan in, his start day would be Monday, against the Cubs.  It would fit perfectly because Strasburg pitches the day before.

It would also give Jackson an extra day off considering his pc was 123 yesterday.

It would push his last start to the Braves series and everyone could pitch on regular rest afterwards because there's an off day after the Braves series.

Wrong on my part, at least when Lannan's start day is.  It's Tuesday not Monday.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #174: August 31, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »
You'd have to be a serious nanfy boy to root against lannan.