Author Topic: Newbie Fishing in Northern Virginia?  (Read 2041 times)

Offline RL04

Newbie Fishing in Northern Virginia?
« Topic Start: April 10, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »
My eleven-year-old son says he's interested in trying to go fishing and I know zero about fishing.

Is there "guided" (assisted) fishing close by?

Where they tell us what to do, where and provide the fishing rods?

Thanks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Re: Newbie Fishing in Northern Virginia?
« Reply #1: April 10, 2012, 06:21:39 PM »
My eleven-year-old son says he's interested in trying to go fishing and I know zero about fishing.

Thanks.

Of course there are plenty of guides available who can take you out for a few hours in their boats.  Most cater to seasoned, or at least occasional anglers, and also emphasize bass fishing. 

Here's a guy who is coincidentally an old high school classmate of mine.  Mike has been fishing the Potomac forever and unlike the vast majority of guides tends to focus on whatever species might be easy to catch or what the client prefers.  And, he's not shy of using live bait, which also can help newbs.

http://www.indianheadcharters.com/

He's also less expensive than a lot of the bass focused guides.   He is legit, spoke to Coastal Conservation Association meeting last year and is a licensed captain to my knowledge.  One possibility for you.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #2: April 10, 2012, 08:05:08 PM »
When I saw this thread I thought the terpman would have the answer.

I caught a sunfish once along the c&o canal with my toy rod.  A REAL fisherman was nearby an
d strung it up for me so my Dad could take a picture.  Ahhhh those were the days!

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #3: April 11, 2012, 12:07:03 AM »
There are supposedly lots of snakeheads in the Potomac now, so rod, reel, dynamite, and 12 gauge.

Offline Obed_Marsh

• ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
« Reply #4: April 11, 2012, 08:10:37 AM »
A few more options, cannot say I have tried them myself. I am self taught aside from the one time my Grandfather took me out as a kid.

http://www.takemefishing.org/state/page/state-fishing/education-programs/state/VA

http://www.takemefishing.org/state/page/state-fishing/education-programs/state/MD

There are plenty of "guides" like this one which walk you through it. http://www.takemefishing.org/fishing/fishopedia/home

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #5: April 11, 2012, 08:23:34 AM »
There are supposedly lots of snakeheads in the Potomac now, so rod, reel, dynamite, and 12 gauge.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeqbewt/id8.html

DOGUE CREEK - Persistant reports have anglers catching Northern Snakehead around the shallow docks in Dogue Creek. Just about anything put in the water will draw a strike from the aggressive fish. Remember, when it comes to snakeheads, KILL YOUR CATCH, and then notify the VDGIF at 800-770-4951.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/apr/4/gene-muellers-fishing-report-794563353/

If it’s Chinese snakeheads you want, Virginia fisheries biologist John Odenkirk told me that the backwaters of the Occoquan River and the nearby Massey Creek showed many of the toothsome alien invaders while he and his crew electro-shocked the waters to check on the species’ presence. Odenkirk said there were so many snakeheads in the Occoquan River around the water plant that one man, using a fishing bow and arrows, regularly shot snakeheads. Largemouth bass also were plentiful in the same waters, said Odenkirk.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #6: April 11, 2012, 08:37:53 AM »

Thanks.

have you thought about joining Scouting?  Our boy scouts are doing to a weekend "Trout-er-ee" next week where they will learn about trout fishing (bait & fly).

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: April 11, 2012, 09:07:11 AM »
have you thought about joining Scouting?  Our boy scouts are doing to a weekend "Trout-er-ee" next week where they will learn about trout fishing (bait & fly).

that's how I learned to fish, never made it past webelos though

Offline RL04

« Reply #8: April 11, 2012, 09:46:40 AM »
Thanks Terpman and everyone else!

Much appreciated.

Offline RL04

« Reply #9: April 11, 2012, 09:50:22 AM »
have you thought about joining Scouting? 

Funny you should mention that.
He did Cub Scouting when younger and my ex and I just this week discussed with him about joining Boy Scouts.

But he is not wild about the idea.   He is doing very well in school and I think he's concerend about having two much on his plate.  He already has sports and music activities each week.  I think he might have a point.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #10: April 11, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »

Funny you should mention that.
He did Cub Scouting when younger and my ex and I just this week discussed with him about joining Boy Scouts.

But he is not wild about the idea.   He is doing very well in school and I think he's concerend about having two much on his plate.  He already has sports and music activities each week.  I think he might have a point.

fwiw, boy scouting so far has been a 2 hour meeting per week and one weekend a month, plus whatever time you want to spend on your own.  and the weekends aren't mandatory.  The real big commitment is summer camp (1 week).  While not mandatory, it's very difficult to obtain rank without attending a camp (plus it's a lot of fun).

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #11: April 11, 2012, 02:33:37 PM »

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #12: April 13, 2012, 09:38:59 AM »

Funny, we used to go fishing when I was a kid, and the only time I ever caught any fish was on a Boy Scout trip. We went to the 1989 Canadian Jamboree on PEI and one of the activities was deep-sea fishing in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. I caught two fish. Never caught any before nor since (though I also haven't gone fishing since then either).

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: April 13, 2012, 09:58:37 PM »
We went to the 1989 Canadian Jamboree on PEI and one of the activities was deep-sea fishing in the Gulf of St. Lawrence. I caught two fish. Never caught any before nor since (though I also haven't gone fishing since then either).

It definitely reduces your odds of catching any.