Author Topic: CAPS Week 19: Feb 4 - Feb 10  (Read 3625 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
CAPS Week 19: Feb 4 - Feb 10
« Topic Start: February 05, 2007, 02:03:34 AM »
This Thread Dedicated To The Following Games:

Feb 4th vs New York Islanders
Feb 6th vs Boston Bruins
Feb 8th vs Los Angeles Kings
Feb 10th vs New York Rangers

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: CAPS Week 19: Feb 4 - Feb 10
« Reply #1: February 05, 2007, 02:08:58 AM »
Final at Verizon Center

New York Islanders 1
Washington Capitals 2

Ovechkin goes scoreless in consecutive games for first time this season

WASHINGTON -- The Washington Capitals won't win many games in which Alex Ovechkin is limited to a single shot in regulation, and they never fare well when extended to a shootout.

None of that mattered Sunday against the New York Islanders.

Alexander Semin scored the lone goal in a shootout, Olie Kolzig had 31 saves, and Washington snapped a three-game skid with a 2-1 victory.

Ovechkin, who leads the NHL with 33 goals, was held scoreless on just two shots -- none through the first two periods. He also misfired in the shootout.

Ovechkin has at least a point in 43 of the Capitals' 54 games. He failed to get one Saturday in a 2-0 loss to Pittsburgh, and this marked the first time this season he didn't register a point in consecutive games.

But the Capitals got two points in the standings, and that's all that mattered to the second-year star, especially since Washington had won only two of 10 games.

"We will take these points. I'm happy we win," Ovechkin said. "We lose eight in 10 and we forget what it feels like winning. This game was important to us."

Kolzig was flawless in the shootout, stopping Miroslav Satan, Viktor Kozlov and Jason Blake. Washington was winless in five shootouts before Sunday.

"We finally got one," Kolzig said. "Hopefully it's a sign for us."

Mike Sillinger scored the lone goal for the Islanders, and Rick DiPietro stopped 30 shots. Each of the Islanders' last three defeats have come after they played to a tie in regulation.

"It's tough when you lose that extra point," coach Ted Nolan said. "The shootout is more of a skills competition. Sometimes they go in, sometimes they don't."

New York took no consolation in keeping Ovechkin entirely in check.

"He's probably one of the best players in the league," said defenseman Brendan Witt, a former Capitals player. "You have to take away his time and space because he's got all the tools."

In the shootout, Semin went first. He went straight at DiPietro, deked right and stuffed a backhander into the net. Kolzig did the rest.

"Olie played the last two games unbelievably and we haven't given him much support. But he came through in the shootout," said Matt Pettinger, who scored the Capitals' lone regulation goal.

Washington went 0-for-4 on the power play and yielded a short-handed goal to Mike Sillinger. New York is 14-for-14 on the penalty kill over the last three games.

DiPietro hit the ice hard after being upended in the net by a sliding Ovechkin with 12:09 left in regulation, but remained in goal to the finish.

Minutes later, Ovechkin was called for interference. Shortly after he emerged from the penalty box he recorded his first shot, with 9:17 to go, but DiPietro cast it aside easily.

Down 1-0, the Islanders pulled even at 27 seconds of the middle period. With Witt in the penalty box, Trent Hunter took a shot from the left circle that glanced off Kolzig to Sillinger, who tapped in the rebound from right of the crease.

New York outshot Washington 13-5 in the period, in part because the Capitals were forced to kill three penalties. Bottled up in its own end for much of the time, Washington managed only one shot over the period's initial 14 minutes.

Kolzig kept the Capitals in the game with several fine saves, including one late in the period when he sprawled on his back to block a shot by Blake.

Frustrated offensively in Pittsburgh one day earlier, Washington wasted little time finding the back of the net against DiPietro. With just under three minutes elapsed, Pettinger slammed home the rebound of a wraparound shot by Richard Zednik.

That, however, would be the Capitals' lone goal.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: February 05, 2007, 11:38:39 AM »
It's about time they won a shootout, or a game for that matter..  :lol:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3: February 05, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
C'mon. Good homestand. Wina the next three and they are back in it.  Then beat Pit and TB.  I know, I say things like that all the time about all my teams.  I dont subscribe to the "one game at a time" philosophy.

It's not over yet. Salvage the season please. Make it interesting. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #4: February 06, 2007, 09:19:18 PM »
2-1 in the 3rd vs the Bruins...this would be a big win, even bigger than a SE Division game (Bees have too many damned fans at every game here). 

Anyone going Saturday to hurl vile invective at Jagr?

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #5: February 07, 2007, 12:17:30 AM »
Final at Verizon Center

Boston Bruins 3
Washington Capitals 2

Bruins shut down Ovechkin, top Caps in shootout

WASHINGTON -- Alexander Ovechkin called it the worst game of his career.

Not so much because the reigning rookie of the year took only two shots and went scoreless for a third consecutive outing, his longest NHL drought -- although that clearly bothered him.

What really disappointed Ovechkin about his Washington Capitals' 3-2 shootout loss to the Boston Bruins on Tuesday night was the penalty he was assessed in the third period, leading to Patrice Bergeron's game-tying power-play goal.

"So it's my fault we lost game," Ovechkin said.

Phil Kessel flipped a backhander past goalie Olaf Kolzig to give Boston a 2-1 edge in the shootout and its second consecutive victory following a five-game losing streak.

"He's a great goalie," Kessel said, "so you have to go out there and get lucky."

Alexander Semin put Washington ahead 1-0 in the shootout, and Bergeron evened it before Kessel ended it. Ovechkin and Eric Fehr missed for Washington in the shootout; Brandon Bochenski missed for Boston.

Ovechkin is mired in the first mini-slump of his NHL career. During his Calder Trophy-winning rookie season of 2005-06, the Russian never went more than two consecutive games without an assist or goal -- and he only had three droughts of that length, each time snapping it with a multiple-point game.

Ovechkin, who entered Tuesday tied for the league lead with 33 goals, hadn't even been held without a point in two consecutive games this season until the current stretch.

"Is he doing anything differently? I don't think so. Not off the top of my head," Capitals coach Glen Hanlon said. "I'm not concerned about it, because we know he's going to score."

Asked if there was something he could point to as an explanation, Ovechkin said: "I feel good. I don't know. Sometimes it happens, you know."

A big reason for his problems Tuesday was Boston defenseman Zdeno Chara.

"He's a good defenseman," Ovechkin acknowledged. "I just don't have chances to shoot."

Said Bruins coach Dave Lewis: "Z did a great job. It's hard sometimes getting the matchups you want, but our guys were changing on the fly."

Boston led 1-0 heading into the final period, thanks to Bochenski's goal in his Bruins debut. They acquired him from the Chicago Blackhawks for a minor-leaguer Saturday.

"It was nice to get some ice time and get my wind back," said Bochenski, who recently missed three weeks with a hand injury.

Washington's Brooks Laich scored an unassisted goal only 21 seconds into the third to tie it, and Fehr put the Capitals ahead 2-1 at the 7:48 mark.

Boston tied it at 2 on a power play with 6:45 left in regulation on Bergeron's 17th goal. It came with Ovechkin in the penalty box after being whistled for delay of game.

"It's not my game," Ovechkin said. "That's it."

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #6: February 07, 2007, 03:03:17 PM »
The Caps are back to losing in shootouts again.  Ovechkin much like Arenas needs to get out of their respective slump soon. 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: February 08, 2007, 09:41:53 PM »
BOO YAH!  My favorite Cap scores the winner over the Kings in OT baby! 

Recap to Follow...

• babble on
« Reply #8: February 08, 2007, 10:33:02 PM »
That was fricking brilliant  :D

Zubrus and Zednik were fine, fine aquisitions from the Habs.  Thanks, Montreal. 

Of course, we gave them the latter in the first place...he was the junior Slovak under Bondra back during that amazing Stanley Cup run back in 1898 (was it really only 1998??)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: February 08, 2007, 10:46:06 PM »
Final at Verizon Center

Los Angeles Kings 3
Washington Capitals 4

Zubrus' OT score lifts Ovechkin, Caps past Kings

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Dainius Zubrus poked in a rebound 2:28 into overtime Thursday night to give the Washington Capitals a 4-3 victory over the Los Angeles Kings.

Zubrus got his stick on the puck as it lay tantalizing close to the goal line, having trickled past goalie Mathieu Garon and off the right post following a shot by Alexander Semin. It was Zubrus' 19th goal.

Boyd Gordon, Ben Clymer and Chris Clark also scored for the Capitals, and Alex Ovechkin earned a second-period assist to end the longest scoring drought of his young career -- he had gone three games without a point.

Anze Kopitar, Alexander Frolov and Lubomir Visnovsky scored for the Kings, who lost to the Capitals on the road for the first time in nearly nine years. They had gone 4-0 with one tie at the Verizon Center since a 3-2 loss on April 4, 1998.

The game was as close as one could expect from two struggling teams. The Kings entered the game having lost 11 of 13, while the Capitals had dropped nine of 12.

Kings rookie Kopitar scored the only goal of the first period, a rebound off the far post during a 5-on-3 power play.

But Garon, giving 40-year-old Sean Burke a night off, allowed three goals in a rough second period. He whiffed glove-side on Gordon's short-handed shot from the blue line, was slow to react on a wraparound by Clymer and let a close-in shot from Clark trickle over the goal line. Ovechkin got the second assist on Clymer's goal.

The Kings kept pace with a redirect from Frolov, his 29th goal of the season, and a one-timer from Visnovsky. Michael Cammalleri, who missed Tuesday's shootout loss at Tampa Bay with a muscle strain, assisted on both goals.

Los Angeles failed to score during a 5-on-3 power play that lasted 1:05 in the second period, and the teams went scoreless in the third.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: February 08, 2007, 11:05:51 PM »
Nice win for the Caps.  They have points in 3 straight games.  They have to keep playing at this pace if they want any shot at the playoffs. 

• babble on
« Reply #11: February 10, 2007, 10:49:31 AM »
Anyone else going to boo Jagr tonight?  I hear the game is sold out...perhaps the first this season (though that 8:00 Saturday night game vs Buffalo back in December came awfully close).

Offline Dave B

« Reply #12: February 10, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »
I'm going. Please dont disappoint.  Win this and we are within 6 of TB, then we play TB on monday or something. Not out tof this yet.  We have 3 games left against TB.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
« Reply #13: February 10, 2007, 07:53:22 PM »
Lucky Bounce  :bang:

Looks like this Rangers Capitals rivalry is heating up. Some very physical play, I really enjoy watching it.

LET'S GO RANGERS!  :thumbs:

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #15: February 10, 2007, 10:42:34 PM »
man what a terrible game.

at least it was a sellout.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #16: February 10, 2007, 11:12:04 PM »
Final at Verizon Center

New York Rangers 5
Washington Capitals 2

Jagr scores 1,500th point, gets three assists in Rangers' win

WASHINGTON (AP) -- On a night in which he was booed every time he touched the puck, Jaromir Jagr appreciated the irony of reaching a significant milestone against his former team.

Jagr became the 12th player in NHL history to score 1,500 points, earning three assists to help the New York Rangers beat the Washington Capitals 5-2 Saturday night.

The Rangers captain reached the mark by setting up power-play goals by Michal Rozsival in the first and third periods. He added another assist with 13:51 left, sending a centering pass that Martin Straka fired past Olie Kolzig to provide New York with a two-goal cushion.

Jagr has 612 goals and 889 assists in 1,165 career games. But he failed to fulfill high expectations in Washington before being traded to New York in 2004, and thus many in the sellout crowd let him know what they thought of him each time his stick met the puck.

"It's strange I did it here, in this arena," he said, grinning sheepishly.

Jagr amassed 217 points in 190 games with the Capitals, but the team never won a playoff series with him. Washington fans will never let him forget it, but their jeers did nothing to deter the pleasure Jagr derived from an important victory.

"That's OK. I don't really worry about it," he said. "As long as we win, it's good."

After dropping dangerously close to falling from playoff contention, the Rangers have won two straight. At this point, they can't afford another slump -- and are playing that way.

"It is our situation, our circumstance," coach Tom Renney said. "These last few games we've been in a position to put our foot down even farther and have done that. It just seems like we're on a mission, and the big thing here is to create some momentum."

Renney was focused on getting two points in the standings, but also took pleasure in seeing Jagr reach 1,500.

"I'm always honored to be a part of anything that these great players do," he said. "Anytime I can be on any bench, watching people like that do wonderful things, I'm grateful for it."

Jagr also appreciated the significance of his accomplishment.

"It's a big honor," he said. "How many years has the NHL been around, 100? The best players in the world play in this league. If I can be in the top 12, that's great."

Straka scored two goals for the Rangers, the last an empty-netter with 29.5 seconds left.

Alex Ovechkin and Chris Clark had power-play goals for the Capitals, who were 0-for-15 with the extra man in their last four games. Coach Glen Hanlon reconfigured the unit on Friday, and the change produced the desired results.

But the Rangers limited Washington to only 19 shots, and Henrik Lundqvist stopped all but two in a sufficient encore to his 5-0 shutout of Tampa Bay on Friday night.

"Those shouldn't be your only two goals of the game," Capitals defenseman Steve Eminger said. "We didn't have enough shots. We were controlling the puck ... but we weren't getting second and third chances, and that's what we've got to do."

Rozsival put the Rangers up 3-2 with 15:43 to go, beating Kolzig on a blast between the circles off a centering pass from Michael Nylander. Jagr got the puck to Nylander, who was behind the net.

Two minutes earlier, Clark took a pass from Alexander Semin and deked Lundqvist before scoring on a backhander.

"We should have definitely had goals on other chances," Clark said, "but we couldn't find the back of the net for some reason."

The Rangers went up 2-1 midway through the second period when Marcel Hossa slammed in the rebound of a shot by Brendan Shanahan with New York on the power play. After scoring two goals in his first 50 games this season, Hossa has three in the last four.

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #17: February 10, 2007, 11:20:40 PM »
Rangers 5- Geico 2  :P

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #18: February 10, 2007, 11:24:55 PM »
Rangers 5- Geico 2  :P

:nono:   ...and that's not the pointer finger either.   :?

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #19: February 10, 2007, 11:31:57 PM »
:nono:   ...and that's not the pointer finger either.   :?
Haha, I'd feel the same way if my team deserved to get shutout.

(sorry)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #20: February 10, 2007, 11:35:17 PM »
What's sad is that:

a) both our goals were flukes
b) Hanlon said he didn't find anything wrong with the way that they played
c) the refs were pretty terrible; what was the call on Zednik? Never announced it. A lot of tickey-tackey calls going against us. Not the reason we lost, though.

and F**k Jagirl and his little loser buddies like Avery - the scum of the earth.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #21: February 10, 2007, 11:35:27 PM »
Haha, I'd feel the same way if my team deserved to get shutout.

That's it you done did it this time...You and me buddy - center ice!   :lol:

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #22: February 10, 2007, 11:54:09 PM »
What's sad is that:

a) both our goals were flukes
b) Hanlon said he didn't find anything wrong with the way that they played
c) the refs were pretty terrible; what was the call on Zednik? Never announced it. A lot of tickey-tackey calls going against us. Not the reason we lost, though.

and F**k Jagirl and his little loser buddies like Avery - the scum of the earth.
The scum of the earth lol! Just because Jags owned you guys tonight, and Avery did his job perfectly (agitate to the point of drawing countless penalties, it's not like he had any cheap shots or anything)

Now if you want scum, how bout dishing out an elbow to a goalie playing the puck behind the net *cough Sutherby cough*

You want scum, Donald Brashear is scum. Colton Orr is scum. The Capitals organization is scum (cheap shot). But Avery and Jagr, are not scum.

Anyways, thanks for beating the fishstix (islanders) earlier this week, and losing to us tonight.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #23: February 10, 2007, 11:58:36 PM »
how bout dishing out an elbow to a goalie playing the puck behind the net *cough Sutherby cough*

You want scum, Donald Brashear is scum. Colton Orr is scum. The Capitals organization is scum (cheap shot). But Avery and Jagr, are not scum.

C'mon girlie man...we too rough for you New York types eh?   :P

Offline ColtonWillems

« Reply #24: February 11, 2007, 12:06:50 AM »
C'mon girlie man...we too rough for you New York types eh?   :P
HAHAHAH I hope that was sarcastic. Garden fans are THE toughest in the NHL.