Author Topic: Sunshine Squad 2012!!!  (Read 40355 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Sunshine Squad 2012!!!
« Reply #575: August 15, 2012, 08:22:16 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP
The Nats' 41-23 record on the road is not only the best road record in the majors. It is better than any team's HOME record.

:worship:

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #576: August 15, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
:w:

:panic:

Now they just need to play like that at home, and the best record in baseball is assured.

Holy crap it's getting close.  All of it.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #577: August 15, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »
Adam Kilgore ‏@AdamKilgoreWP
The Nats' 41-23 record on the road is not only the best road record in the majors. It is better than any team's HOME record.

:worship:

That's really crazy. Maybe if more fans came to their games then they would win more, huh ;)? /crowd logic

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #578: August 16, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »
That's really crazy. Maybe if more fans came to their games then they would win more, huh ;)? /crowd logic

More fans will. Every series gets more important, and every day the Nats get more prominent. MLB killed off an entire generation of baseball in Washington, breaking a tradition that went back a hundred years. That same year -- 1971 -- the Redskins began to win.

Fans will regain their balance. It is happening now.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #579: August 16, 2012, 10:28:48 AM »
More fans will. Every series gets more important, and every day the Nats get more prominent. MLB killed off an entire generation of baseball in Washington, breaking a tradition that went back a hundred years. That same year -- 1971 -- the Redskins began to win.

Fans will regain their balance. It is happening now.

Bingo. It will take a generation to rebuild that baseball culture. It took 33 years to destroy it so maybe it will take 33 years to rebuild it.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #580: August 16, 2012, 10:30:23 AM »
a couple of years of winning will build it. There wasn't a huge hockey culture pre Ovi, and now, even if the parents drift away, the kids will likely have memories and remain fans- I think the same applies here

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #581: August 16, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »
Whoever was on 106.7 (was stuck in a traffic jam and everything else was on commercial) whoever was on just spent 30 minutes talking about how amazing and special this team is, and that it shouldn't be taken for granted. Also discussed /hinted at how the Skins are overtaking the Nats on the front page of papers. It was nice to have someone sing the praises of this team ans encourage people to tune in.

More fans would be amazing :) maybe I can get one of my roommates into this, goodness knows I will be hogging that TV every night...

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #582: August 16, 2012, 10:50:41 AM »
Whoever was on 106.7 (was stuck in a traffic jam and everything else was on commercial) whoever was on just spent 30 minutes talking about how amazing and special this team is, and that it shouldn't be taken for granted. Also discussed /hinted at how the Skins are overtaking the Nats on the front page of papers. It was nice to have someone sing the praises of this team ans encourage people to tune in.

More fans would be amazing :) maybe I can get one of my roommates into this, goodness knows I will be hogging that TV every night...

Do you mean how the Nats are overtaking the Skins on the front page?

Lol.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #583: August 16, 2012, 10:52:40 AM »

Lol.

until RGIII's next start (or good play in practice)

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #584: August 16, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »

Lol.
Well that is what he wants, but whenever the Redskins play there's always something about RGIII having an epiphany or whatever. Though he was annoyed at how overblown this Stras shutdown is and that it detracts from the team's awesomeness and that Lannan is fine for 3-4 games.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #585: August 16, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »
Well that is what he wants, but whenever the Redskins play there's always something about RGIII having an epiphany or whatever. Though he was annoyed at how overblown this Stras shutdown is and that it detracts from the team's awesomeness and that Lannan is fine for 3-4 games.

And he's shocked by that.

Football is always going to be king, sadly.

Offline CapsnNats

« Reply #586: August 16, 2012, 11:12:15 AM »
Junkies were saying that they're getting more calls about the Nats then the Skins...and immediately jumped into a Skins segment.

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #587: August 16, 2012, 11:14:46 AM »
And he's shocked by that.

Football is always going to be king, sadly.

There is room for more than one sport it most DC fans hearts.  Yes football will be king, but the ranking behind that is changing and the gap between the skins and the nats is starting to close a bit.  Look at Boston, its the reverse.  Yea I'm sure it was nice to have the Pats win all those super bowls, but that town was more excited about the Sox (mind fact!).

Even if I hate the whole Stras shutdown story line, it is getting major play nationwide and that exposes more people (nationally and locally) to the awesomeness of this team.  People will come Ray.  People will come.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #588: August 16, 2012, 11:17:04 AM »
There is room for more than one sport it most DC fans hearts.  Yes football will be king, but the ranking behind that is changing and the gap between the skins and the nats is starting to close a bit.  Look at Boston, its the reverse.  Yea I'm sure it was nice to have the Pats win all those super bowls, but that town was more excited about the Sox (mind fact!).

Even if I hate the whole Stras shutdown story line, it is getting major play nationwide and that exposes more people (nationally and locally) to the awesomeness of this team.  People will come Ray.  People will come.

I'm not saying people won't come. I'm saying, as someone that is somewhat familiar with how the media thinks... no matter how big the Nats are, the census's they send out are going to report that fans are more interested in the Skins than they are the Nats. That's why they'll always dominate the front page... even when the city has the very best baseball team in all of the land playing in their city.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #589: August 16, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
Mike Wise ‏@MikeWiseguy
Big show coming up at noon on @1067thefandc with @cjsvictory. Agent Scott Boras will join us at 12:15 p.m., talking Strasburg Shutdown.

Looks like Boras is doing the media circuit today. He was on Mike and Mike this morning

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #590: August 16, 2012, 11:24:26 AM »
Looks like Boras is doing the media circuit today. He was on Mike and Mike this morning

good for him, it takes some heat off Rizzo and Boras seems comfortable being cast as the villan

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #591: August 16, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
That's why they'll always dominate the front page...

Always is a long time.

The Nats will become the city's favorite team within 20 years.

This is the SSS thread, after all. :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #592: August 16, 2012, 12:54:00 PM »
The thing I hope the talk shows get is that baseball and football have complementary seasons, so it is a good way to keep ratings up year round to have one of each making headlines and prompting calls.  Literally, switching hats when one season is over and the other starts covers the year, especially with college hoops conference play and March filling in some right after the last football game.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #593: August 16, 2012, 02:08:31 PM »

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #594: August 16, 2012, 05:16:43 PM »
The thing I hope the talk shows get is that baseball and football have complementary seasons, so it is a good way to keep ratings up year round to have one of each making headlines and prompting calls.  Literally, switching hats when one season is over and the other starts covers the year, especially with college hoops conference play and March filling in some right after the last football game.

that only works if your football team is good- the way the skins have sucked recently, by the time baseball season is over, so is any hope associated with the football season

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #595: August 16, 2012, 05:37:59 PM »
Bingo. It will take a generation to rebuild that baseball culture. It took 33 years to destroy it so maybe it will take 33 years to rebuild it.

I think it will take a lot less than a generation. The Redskins had not been in a playoff game since the mid-40s when Allen tok over in 1971. Only one winning season in the '60s (1969, and just barely), and one winning season in the '50s (8 - 4, and I don't remember how they did it because the '50s Redskins were worse than dirt).

There were already a smattering of old-style baseball fans at the two games I saw in July...the sort of loud guys who roll up the programs and start "let's go Nats" chants, the equivalent of the inhumanly throated guy in Yankee Stadium's left field who used to lead "Hip hip Jorge!", over and over and over, non-stop during an entire at-bat.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #597: August 17, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
I think we win 97. I think the Braves win 93. I think we face the Braves in the NLDS, clean their clocks, take the Reds in 7, and then get swept by the Yankees.

Online blue911

« Reply #598: August 17, 2012, 10:20:03 AM »
I think we win 97. I think the Braves win 93. I think we face the Braves in the NLDS, clean their clocks, take the Reds in 7, and then get swept by the Yankees.

I think we kick the Yankees ass and end up sending Jeter a gift basket.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

« Reply #599: August 17, 2012, 10:21:45 AM »
Sweep the Rangers, sign Josh Hamilton. :w: