Author Topic: Terrible idea to start Strasburg Opening Day  (Read 3007 times)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Terrible idea to start Strasburg Opening Day
« Reply #50: March 24, 2012, 07:33:19 AM »
Just a reminder, the Nats are 1-6 on opening day.  Here's the list of starters (results) from wikipedia:
Strasburg is so much better than these guys it isn't even funny.

Patterson was a heck of a pitcher before his arm stopped working.  Imagine how this team would be different if he hadn't flamed out.

Online Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #51: March 24, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
In the last couple years, doctors did finally publish a study that correlates velocity to elbow injuries.

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/38/4/728

Not the velocity of the last pitch that tips the scales and tears the UCL, mind you.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
« Reply #52: March 24, 2012, 08:59:24 AM »
I never said it didnt. All I've said is it doesn't matter what speed you're throwing.... When it pops its going to pop. Could be an 85 MPH heater or 95.

Online Kevrock

• Troll So Hard University
« Reply #53: March 24, 2012, 09:01:47 AM »
I never said it didnt. All I've said is it doesn't matter what speed you're throwing.... When it pops its going to pop. Could be an 85 MPH heater or 95.

I added a line. It wasn't meant to negate any of your posts.

Although mechanically and physically I still think Maddux is an odd choice for a comparison to Stras.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #54: March 24, 2012, 09:19:39 AM »

I would think it would have to be percentage of your max versus flat speed. Strasburg's 100 is probably less effort then my 65. As for the Maddux comparison, he didn't blow out his UCL or anything else, because.... well, because he didn't. Just because he only threw 90 isn't relevant to me. His 92 could have been a max effort heave.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
« Reply #55: March 24, 2012, 09:22:41 AM »
Totally agree.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #56: March 24, 2012, 09:36:23 AM »
In the last couple years, doctors did finally publish a study that correlates velocity to elbow injuries.

http://ajs.sagepub.com/content/38/4/728

Not the velocity of the last pitch that tips the scales and tears the UCL, mind you.

Conclusion of the study: A statistically significant association between maximum pitch velocity and elbow injury was noted in this study, providing further support of existing theories about injury in baseball.

Translation for us dummies...the harder a pitcher throws, the more likely they are to hurt their elbow.

Offline Minty Fresh

• F*ck it - MLS Time
« Reply #57: March 24, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »
Conclusion of the study: A statistically significant association between maximum pitch velocity and elbow injury was noted in this study, providing further support of existing theories about injury in baseball.

Translation for us dummies...the harder a pitcher throws, the more likely they are to hurt their elbow.

Actually, it's more along the lines of "the more maximum effort a pitchers throws with, the more likely they are to hurt their elbow."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #58: March 24, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »
You wonder if some of the talk about trying to have Strasburg pitch more within himself instead of trying to blow the ball by everyone this spring and the attempts to have him pitch to contact are the team's way of trying to preserve him by throwing fewer max effort pitches?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• Champs!
« Reply #59: March 24, 2012, 11:19:30 AM »
Trying to change a pitcher usually opens them up for more opportunities for injury. Never a big fan of it.

Wanting them to be more economical is one thing, changing anything mechanical is a no-no.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• I am Djour Djilios.
« Reply #60: March 24, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
Trying to change a pitcher usually opens them up for more opportunities for injury. Never a big fan of it.

Wanting them to be more economical is one thing, changing anything mechanical is a no-no.

Didn't that happen to Doc Gooden after his triple crown Cy Young year?  Sure, a lot of it was overwerk, but I'm pretty sure they started tinkering with his delivery too.