Author Topic: 2012 Season Roll Call  (Read 17344 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline CALSGR8

  • Posts: 11078
  • Be Loud * Be Proud * Be Positive
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #525: July 21, 2012, 08:02:00 PM »
I think he had a death in the family as why he cancelled.  AGood ol southern Braves fans and country fans combined for the last one.  Who do they play on that date?

Offline PowerBoater69

  • Posts: 9811
    • Twitter
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #526: July 21, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
I think he had a death in the family as why he cancelled.  AGood ol southern Braves fans and country fans combined for the last one.  Who do they play on that date?

The Brewers, I'm counting on the Nats still being in the middle of a pennant race at that point.  (It was his father.)

Offline Coladar

  • Posts: 2808
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #527: July 21, 2012, 08:39:17 PM »
Coladar if you don't understand day games than you don't understand baseball. Consider revisiting your priorities.

I understand baseball just fine, thanks. Missed this thread, so a late reply dragging a buried discussion up, but I digress. Day baseball in April and late September is fine. Day baseball in the South in summer is retarded. It has jack crap to do with understanding baseball, don't hand me that. Forgive my arrogance if I don't enjoy paying money to sit in 100 degree heat and burn. In 2005 I tried to hit a few day games, ended up drenched in sweat with a nasty sunburn each time.

Obviously people still enjoy it, but my idea of a fun time is not to sit in the blazing sun and sweat like a pig whereas at a night game, even on the hottest days, it is tolerable. That has NOTHING to do with understanding baseball. Its a personal preference, and if you enjoy getting burnt and having to drink water every five minutes to stay hydrated on the extreme days, which is basically every July and August day game in DC, more power to you. I don't. Understanding baseball has zero to do with it, regardless. Just because baseball once upon a time was played in the hottest of days means jack crap. Guess what, homes weren't air conditioned a hundred years ago. Do you turn your AC off on heat index of 120 days to get that "olde time living" experience?

I can promise you the players don't enjoy it. Seriously, show me quotes where current Nats say they love playing in over 95 degree heat, I'll give you one ticket to my seat during an August day game for each one over three players you find. There'll be some nuts, but I guarantee most players prefer night games. So do they not understand baseball?

Offline MarquisDeSade

  • Posts: 13449
  • Bring on the ribs.
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #528: July 21, 2012, 08:39:42 PM »
Two sentences max.

Offline Coladar

  • Posts: 2808
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #529: July 21, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
Two sentences max.

Three words, not one of which anyone wants to waste the time to read. I'll stick to my long rants when someone accuses me of not understanding baseball, thanks much.

Offline MarquisDeSade

  • Posts: 13449
  • Bring on the ribs.
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #530: July 21, 2012, 08:51:27 PM »
Three words, not one of which anyone wants to waste the time to read. I'll stick to my long rants when someone accuses me of not understanding baseball, thanks much.

Drive your car into a wall for all I care.

Offline Smithian

  • Posts: 5460
  • Team America 2014
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #531: July 21, 2012, 09:44:02 PM »
We've not been fun tonight.

I think we should all make a conscious effort to be friendly :)

Offline MarquisDeSade

  • Posts: 13449
  • Bring on the ribs.
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #532: July 21, 2012, 10:06:24 PM »
Why bother.

Offline Obed_Marsh

  • Posts: 7666
  • ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #533: July 21, 2012, 10:08:54 PM »
Can't win. Don't Try.



j/k


BTW, headed to the park tomorrow. :thumbs:

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

  • Posts: 10337
  • babble on
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #534: July 21, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
 :rofl:

Offline OldChelsea

  • Posts: 5826
  • From the best seat in the house at Nationals Park
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #535: July 22, 2012, 07:50:12 AM »
[...]Forgive my arrogance if I don't enjoy paying money to sit in 100 degree heat and burn. In 2005 I tried to hit a few day games, ended up drenched in sweat with a nasty sunburn each time.[...]

SPF50 sun-block and plenty of liquids can do wonders....

---

Capital Weather Gang's NatCast has 'Maybe a sprinkle but that's about it for rain chances. One of the most comfortable July day games you'll ever have around here' with 77-81 at first pitch, 82-86 by ninth inning, 20% chance of rain.

Weather.com has 15% chance of precip at 12.00 and 13.00, and 10% at 14.00 and for the rest of the day.

Offline Obed_Marsh

  • Posts: 7666
  • ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #536: July 22, 2012, 08:11:46 AM »
It has jack crap to do with understanding baseball, don't hand me that.

I now understand why people get on you for being long winded.  I guess you just don't have the makeup to be one of the boys of summer. Don't worry too much, this team caters to convenience fans.

Quote from: Clark Griffith
People there are educated to see the best there is and will only stand for the best. High class baseball cannot be played at night.



Offline Mathguy

  • Posts: 3361
  • Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #537: July 22, 2012, 08:18:42 AM »
Please don't pay any attendtion to MDS.  He's going to find a way to be arguementative, regardless of what anyone posts here

I understand baseball just fine, thanks. Missed this thread, so a late reply dragging a buried discussion up, but I digress. Day baseball in April and late September is fine. Day baseball in the South in summer is retarded. It has jack crap to do with understanding baseball, don't hand me that. Forgive my arrogance if I don't enjoy paying money to sit in 100 degree heat and burn. In 2005 I tried to hit a few day games, ended up drenched in sweat with a nasty sunburn each time.

Obviously people still enjoy it, but my idea of a fun time is not to sit in the blazing sun and sweat like a pig whereas at a night game, even on the hottest days, it is tolerable. That has NOTHING to do with understanding baseball. Its a personal preference, and if you enjoy getting burnt and having to drink water every five minutes to stay hydrated on the extreme days, which is basically every July and August day game in DC, more power to you. I don't. Understanding baseball has zero to do with it, regardless. Just because baseball once upon a time was played in the hottest of days means jack crap. Guess what, homes weren't air conditioned a hundred years ago. Do you turn your AC off on heat index of 120 days to get that "olde time living" experience?

I can promise you the players don't enjoy it. Seriously, show me quotes where current Nats say they love playing in over 95 degree heat, I'll give you one ticket to my seat during an August day game for each one over three players you find. There'll be some nuts, but I guarantee most players prefer night games. So do they not understand baseball?


Offline Obed_Marsh

  • Posts: 7666
  • ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #538: July 22, 2012, 08:28:39 AM »
MDS isn't the one who started railing against baseball traditions and insisted people who enjoyed it were either "retired or homeless". By all means be a workaholic but don't rant against those of us who choose to enjoy baseball the way it was meant to be.

Getting back on topic I think I will head out a bit early and head to the loft today.

Offline mitlen

  • Posts: 23169
  • We had 'em all the way.
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #539: July 22, 2012, 08:43:31 AM »
MDS isn't the one who started railing against baseball traditions and insisted people who enjoyed it were either "retired or homeless". By all means be a workaholic but don't rant against those of us who choose to enjoy baseball the way it was meant to be.

Getting back on topic I think I will head out a bit early and head to the loft today.

Neighbor and I are heading in a little early as well.   We're going to multi-task   ....   The Open on the screens and then baseball.


Offline Mathguy

  • Posts: 3361
  • Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #540: July 22, 2012, 08:45:53 AM »
Wish I could join you

Neighbor and I are heading in a little early as well.   We're going to multi-task   ....   The Open on the screens and then baseball.




Offline PowerBoater69

  • Posts: 9811
    • Twitter
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #541: July 22, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
We can take the series today with a win. The Braves clinched the June series yesterday afternoon.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

  • Posts: 13871
  • Lerners = Bluth family
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #542: July 22, 2012, 08:58:55 AM »
MDS isn't the one who started railing against baseball traditions and insisted people who enjoyed it were either "retired or homeless". By all means be a workaholic but don't rant against those of us who choose to enjoy baseball the way it was meant to be.

You're really full of crap.  Spider already exposed people who think like you.

Offline Obed_Marsh

  • Posts: 7666
  • ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • Photos
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #543: July 22, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
I'll be there in my vibram fivefingers, say hi if you see me.


Is that you Larry MacPhail?

Offline CALSGR8

  • Posts: 11078
  • Be Loud * Be Proud * Be Positive
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #544: July 22, 2012, 10:10:17 AM »
Wish I could join you


Me too.  Woke up yesterday with a summer cold.  I wouldnt be able to scream loud if I did. ;)

Have fun in the summer sun.  Use sunscreen.  Take an empty double walled cup.  Most of the concession stands will give you free ice.  Refill water at water fountains.  Mio flavoring is good too.

Offline PowerBoater69

  • Posts: 9811
    • Twitter
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #545: July 22, 2012, 10:17:24 AM »
Wife popping Advil, 50-50 I'm flying solo today.

Offline hammondsnats

  • Posts: 37337
  • LAC 8)
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #546: July 22, 2012, 10:42:37 AM »
going today

Offline PowerBoater69

  • Posts: 9811
    • Twitter
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #547: July 22, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
Wife near comatose, chances of her and the kids making it today downgraded to 25%, chances of my making it downgraded to 75%.

Offline CALSGR8

  • Posts: 11078
  • Be Loud * Be Proud * Be Positive
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #548: July 22, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »
Wife near comatose, chances of her and the kids making it today downgraded to 25%, chances of my making it downgraded to 75%.

Hope the "comatose" comment is a figure of speech!  Hope all feel better soon.  Yeah, you and the kids better do something together at home so she can rest.

Offline PowerBoater69

  • Posts: 9811
    • Twitter
Re: 2012 Season Roll Call
« Reply #549: July 22, 2012, 11:28:52 AM »
Hope the "comatose" comment is a figure of speech!  Hope all feel better soon.  Yeah, you and the kids better do something together at home so she can rest.

Comatose means she's in a dark room under the covers with her eyes shut while the rest of us are hanging out in the basement.  I'm hoping the meds kick in within the next 90 minutes so that we can still make the first pitch.