Re: REI
« Reply #25: March 23, 2012, 11:36:20 AM »
The annual REI dividend is here!

:woop:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #26: March 23, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »
they sent out a 20% off one-item coupon today. 

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #27: March 23, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
they sent out a 20% off one-item coupon today.

Right, save it for a big purchase.   Like, not for the backpack cover I need for this weekend.   Because I'm going backpacking with the scouts and we're expecting 1-2 inches of rain.    :?         :'(

Offline imref

« Reply #28: March 23, 2012, 11:42:38 AM »
Right, save it for a big purchase.   Like, not for the backpack cover I need for this weekend.   Because I'm going backpacking with the scouts and we're expecting 1-2 inches of rain.    :?         :'(

where are you guys heading?  We scheduled a hike from union station to arlington cemetary with stops at the major monuments.  Those plans have changed.  Forecast is rain all day with afternoon thunderstorms and maybe even some hail.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #29: March 23, 2012, 11:45:50 AM »
where are you guys heading?  We scheduled a hike from union station to arlington cemetary with stops at the major monuments.  Those plans have changed.  Forecast is rain all day with afternoon thunderstorms and maybe even some hail.

Tonight at Elizabeth Furnace S.P., then into the backcountry up and across Signal Knob, down the valley to camp (9 mi) then out the next day (6 mi) and on to Spelunkers in Front Royal for hand formed hamburgers and fresh cut fries, the highlight of the trip for the boys.  (and adults, probably).   

Offline imref

« Reply #30: March 23, 2012, 11:46:31 AM »
have fun!

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #31: March 23, 2012, 01:03:35 PM »

What is a back pack cover?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #33: March 23, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
30 bucks for a waterproof tarp?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #34: March 23, 2012, 01:28:14 PM »
Better than a $2,500 laptop being ruined.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #35: March 23, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
Uh ... Why not just spend five bucks on a tarp, cut it up and bungee cord the bottom? Or don't even cut it up. Now you have a tarp, which, in my experience, are extremely useful things.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #36: March 23, 2012, 01:35:34 PM »
You're probably one of those people that turns your underwear inside out instead of doing laundry.

Offline imref

« Reply #37: March 23, 2012, 01:37:12 PM »
Uh ... Why not just spend five bucks on a tarp, cut it up and bungee cord the bottom? Or don't even cut it up. Now you have a tarp, which, in my experience, are extremely useful things.

my guess is that when you are backpacking, you want the lightest, most simple gear you can bring.   :)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #38: March 23, 2012, 01:46:32 PM »

Scouts? My kids are Tigers just started this year.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #39: March 23, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »
You're probably one of those people that turns your underwear inside out instead of doing laundry.

Naw. I brought a can of lysol and a package of detergent. If I found a 40mm can, I put a dozen or so rocks in the bottom, added water and soap, put my skivies in and shook it up.

Offline imref

« Reply #40: March 23, 2012, 01:49:36 PM »

Welcome to scouting!  My youngest is a bear, my oldest just got his "scout" badge.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #41: March 23, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »

Nice.  Hope you can get out and enjoy the experiences with him some.

My son just turned 17, is working on his Eagle now.  No more cute little nipper....

Offline imref

« Reply #42: March 23, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Nice.  Hope you can get out and enjoy the experiences with him some.

My son just turned 17, is working on his Eagle now.  No more cute little nipper....

the rush is on!  Good luck to him.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #43: March 23, 2012, 07:50:28 PM »
Tonight at Elizabeth Furnace S.P., then into the backcountry up and across Signal Knob, down the valley to camp (9 mi) then out the next day (6 mi) and on to Spelunkers in Front Royal for hand formed hamburgers and fresh cut fries, the highlight of the trip for the boys.  (and adults, probably).   

I did Signal Knob last weekend as a day hike.  Have fun!

As far as outdoor stores, I really like the REI in Fairfax, though as others have noted, it is on the small side compared to some of their other locations.  I visited one in Denver earlier this year that was huge.  I also like Eastern Mountain Sports - I do a lot of backpacking and I talked with the folks in their Sterling store who were very helpful.  I ended up getting a new Gregory backpack as a Christmas gift that was purchased at that store.  For all you Scout folks on here, they're planning on doing a Philmont presentation sometime in April and I think I'm going to be helping with it (I've been several times, including four summers on staff).  I'll keep you all posted.

Anyone remember Appalachian Outfitters in Oakton?  A great local gear store, but they went out of business several years ago and they tore down the building (actually, the old schoolhouse part of it was moved down Hunter Mill Road) and put up a Chevy Chase Bank.  Boo...

Offline imref

« Reply #44: March 23, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »
there's a Gander Mountain in winchester that's supposed to be very good (and they offer a 10% scout discount)

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #45: March 23, 2012, 11:02:18 PM »
there's a Gander Mountain in winchester that's supposed to be very good (and they offer a 10% scout discount)

I've never been to a Gander Mountain, but I really want to check them out.  There are a couple along I-95 south as well, in Fredericksburg and Ashland.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #46: March 24, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
Anyone done Old Rag recently?  I hear it is a zoo on weekends nowadays.

Offline RobDibblesGhost

« Reply #47: March 24, 2012, 09:21:23 AM »
Anyone done Old Rag recently?  I hear it is a zoo on weekends nowadays.

It's been that way for a while.  I did last year in March or early April and it wasn't too bad.  During the summer and fall, it does get packed on weekends so if you go, get there early.  There's limited parking and they do charge an entrance fee.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #48: March 24, 2012, 01:08:26 PM »
I was going to go to the REI in Fairfax last night before we went to the movies but HOLY GOD does that "town center" make me want to go on a mass shooting spree.  What Mensa Select member decided not to install parking garages in place so far removed from civilization?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #49: March 24, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »
I was going to go to the REI in Fairfax last night before we went to the movies but HOLY GOD does that "town center" make me want to go on a mass shooting spree.  What Mensa Select member decided not to install parking garages in place so far removed from civilization?
Yea  ... It gets bad on the weekend. I live like half a mile away and usually walk