Author Topic: REI  (Read 2393 times)

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
REI
« Topic Start: March 08, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
I finally visited REI in Fairfax today.  I fear i'm going to spend my next few paychecks in that place.  Absolutely outstanding service/selection.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Re: REI
« Reply #1: March 08, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »
Did you go to the one near the movie theater and government center?  If so, we had a lot of luck there with big people gear, great service too.

Online imref

« Reply #2: March 09, 2012, 12:41:50 AM »
Did you go to the one near the movie theater and government center?  If so, we had a lot of luck there with big people gear, great service too.

that's the one, across from Ruth's Chris.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: March 09, 2012, 07:45:06 AM »
I finally visited REI in Fairfax today.  I fear i'm going to spend my next few paychecks in that place.  Absolutely outstanding service/selection.

Actually, as REI's go, that's a pretty small one.  Bailey's Crossroads is quite a bit bigger (full selection of kayaks/canoes, for example).  College Park is another big one.  And it is said they don't compare to the home store in Seattle, but I haven't had chance to visit that one yet.

But yeah, I drop a lot of coin in the Fairfax one.  And generally their service is outstanding, as you noted.  Have an REI credit card that gets me $4-500 in rebates annually to spend there   :woop:   Camping/backpacking gear, Yakima roof rack systems, footwear, outdoor clothing, etc. 

We got a membership as a wedding gift in 1987.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #4: March 09, 2012, 08:32:45 AM »

The one in Fairfax corner?

I live right by there. Ny wife loves that store. It was when I walked around in it for an hour that i realized that the gear I got in the Marines is complete garbage

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #5: March 09, 2012, 09:30:20 AM »
Love that store. Parking lot at Fairfax Corner is a nightmare in the evenings, though.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: March 09, 2012, 09:37:42 AM »
When I was young, fitter, and did a lot of hiking, I lived in NJ. There was a store there called Campmor - it was hiker paradise. I still would check Campmor online before buying any high priced gear. I haven't bought anything there in the last few years, but their prices always compared very well to HTO and REI.

http://www.campmor.com/

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #7: March 09, 2012, 09:38:45 AM »
HTO is nice, I still like moosejaw if I know exactly what I want

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #8: March 09, 2012, 09:40:28 AM »
On top of good prices, Moosejaw has a fun vibe. Thanks for turning me on to them.
HTO is nice, I still like moosejaw if I know exactly what I want

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: March 09, 2012, 09:43:38 AM »
It's a fun company- Their house brand is also usually a great deal

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #10: March 09, 2012, 10:41:20 AM »
I thought Hudson Trail was for posers?  No snark, I'm actually being serious.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #11: March 09, 2012, 10:49:22 AM »

no idea, but they carry decent brands, and when I lived in crystal city, it was easy to walk there. (also I guess it's all prospective - depending on where I've lived different brands have different connotations, then again, I did see a dbag at HTO maxing out two cards buying snowboarding gear at HTO)

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #12: March 09, 2012, 10:59:43 AM »
The last time I was in the one in CC the guy blew me off (literally walked away) when I asked him if he could order a bag for me.  I guess I'll be taking my action to Spokes, Zappos, and REI.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #13: March 09, 2012, 11:01:50 AM »
What is REI?

Online imref

« Reply #14: March 09, 2012, 11:21:07 AM »

Online imref

« Reply #15: March 09, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
The last time I was in the one in CC the guy blew me off (literally walked away) when I asked him if he could order a bag for me.  I guess I'll be taking my action to Spokes, Zappos, and REI.

I went into the one in Fairfax Corner yesterday for a day backpack for my son.  The staffer walked me through the different choices, helped us pick both a pack and a water bladder, and explained their membership program.  He was knowledgeable and didn't rush us at all.  I'll be back.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #16: March 09, 2012, 11:32:07 AM »
Imref - I was referring to Hudson Trail, REI has always been aces. 

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #17: March 09, 2012, 12:39:45 PM »
That just shows you how far they fallen. 25 years ago - before they changed their name from Hudson Bay Outfitters - they were the go-to place in this part of the country - staffed by folks that knew what they were talking about and not at all glam and glitz. Just great products available at no other retail places. Their main shop was in Wheaton. REI was the hippie alternative, one of their main stores (if not their first) was in a run down strip mall in College Park.

Times have changed. Probably for the better, but HBO was tops.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: March 09, 2012, 02:25:18 PM »
The real Hudson Bay company sued them as I recall.  The store on Wisconsin Ave was the tits...I bought all of my backpacking gear there back before online shopping made everything so damned easy.  Their shift into bikes and exercise gear was inevitable but sort of made them stray from their original mission.

My office is right next to an REI...danger, danger.

That just shows you how far they fallen. 25 years ago - before they changed their name from Hudson Bay Outfitters - they were the go-to place in this part of the country - staffed by folks that knew what they were talking about and not at all glam and glitz. Just great products available at no other retail places. Their main shop was in Wheaton. REI was the hippie alternative, one of their main stores (if not their first) was in a run down strip mall in College Park.

Times have changed. Probably for the better, but HBO was tops.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #19: March 09, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
Hudson Trail has their house brand of bikes, right?  I think they're called SCOTTs.

• babble on
« Reply #20: March 09, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
No Scott is a ski boot company that moved into bikes a few years ago...they are pretty good from what I hear.  HTO might sell them, but they aren't a house brand.  Novara on the other hand is REIs house brand of bikes.

Hudson Trail has their house brand of bikes, right?  I think they're called SCOTTs.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #21: March 09, 2012, 02:56:51 PM »
Ah, thank you, I thought I was wrong on that. 

• babble on
« Reply #22: March 09, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »
Performance has a house brand as well, or at least they did...nice quality bikes (mass-produced in Asia, but well made and with good components), but the name is a deal breaker: "Scattante"

WTF

:rofl:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: March 09, 2012, 03:39:31 PM »
:crackup:

My wife and I said the same thing when we were in performance a couple of days ago.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #24: March 09, 2012, 08:13:06 PM »
:crackup:

My wife and I said the same thing when we were in performance a couple of days ago.

Hmm REI=Really Exciting Inuendo