Author Topic: Mass Effect Thread  (Read 2054 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Mass Effect Thread
« Topic Start: March 04, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »

Official Mass Effect Thread

I decided to make a thread since Skyrim has one and I'm sure a lot of discussion will happen in the video game thread.

Mass Effect 3 trailers

Further Information

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_Effect
http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Mass_Effect_Wiki

Release Date: March 6th

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Mass Effect Thread
« Reply #1: March 04, 2012, 05:33:10 PM »
Hipster Chief says: "I liked Mass Effect before it was cool"

ME1 4 Lyfe, yo

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #2: March 04, 2012, 05:33:35 PM »
I'm going to be using my first character created which was an Adept Male-Default Shepard that I used since Mass Effect 1.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #3: March 04, 2012, 05:34:35 PM »
I've never completed a full playthrough with anything but Soldier.  But that's because I only played through each game once.

:couch:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: March 04, 2012, 05:34:36 PM »
Hipster Chief says: "I liked Mass Effect before it was cool"

ME1 4 Lyfe, yo (Image removed from quote.)

It's such a great game. The Mako and the Inventory system were the really only things that I hated about it.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: March 04, 2012, 05:35:16 PM »
It's such a great game. The Mako and the Inventory system were the really only things that I hated about it.

I'm convinced that people who nag about those things all played on consoles.  Both were fine (even great) on PC.  They definitely went too far in the other direction in ME2.  So far it looks like they're hoping to strike the perfect balance for 3.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #6: March 04, 2012, 05:36:39 PM »
I've never completed a full playthrough with anything but Soldier.  But that's because I only played through each game once.

:couch:

I beat ME1 twice, one as a adept male and the other as a female soldier.

I beat ME2 once, (adept male) but am currently about to finish my second playthrough (Infiltrator Male). I was really bummed because I should've played ME2 about three times but my friend borrowed my game for about 6 months.

I hope ME3 is just as long as ME2.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #7: March 04, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
I'm convinced that people who nag about those things all played on consoles.  Both were fine (even great) on PC.  They definitely went too far in the other direction in ME2.  So far it looks like they're hoping to strike the perfect balance for 3.

Well, the Mako was pretty crappy on the consoles. I just didn't like how horrible the steering was. I'm sure it was perfect for the Mouse/Keyboard. The Inventory system was just so random though. I liked all of the heat sinks and various weapons (which ME2 removed completely) but a lot of the items were just useless and I had full bags pretty much every mission.

I hope ME3 doesn't do anything drastic.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: March 04, 2012, 05:39:02 PM »
I got about 10 hours into a second run on ME2 as a Sentinel (based on a friend raving about how awesome their shields are), but I put it down for a while and just never got back into it.  Defense-oriented isn't really my play-style anyway.  Give me heightened adrenaline rush and a Vindicator any day :twisted:

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #9: March 04, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »
I only played about half way through the first one :couch:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #10: March 04, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »
I only played about half way through the first one :couch:

:nono:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #11: March 04, 2012, 05:42:59 PM »
Well, the Mako was pretty crappy on the consoles. I just didn't like how horrible the steering was. I'm sure it was perfect for the Mouse/Keyboard. The Inventory system was just so random though. I liked all of the heat sinks and various weapons (which ME2 removed completely) but a lot of the items were just useless and I had full bags pretty much every mission.

I hope ME3 doesn't do anything drastic.

Yeah the inventory did inevitably end up being overfilled with a lot of stuff that just wasn't worth bothering with.  I like that they're bringing back weapon and armor purchases and upgrades in 3, but I also like that ammo types are remaining a power instead.

I still don't like the clip system though.  I mean whatever, i'm over it, but the cooldown/unlimited shots system in 1 was really quite revolutionary, and made different upgrade combos interesting (unlimited fire at high levels, for example)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #12: March 04, 2012, 05:45:09 PM »
Yeah the inventory did inevitably end up being overfilled with a lot of stuff that just wasn't worth bothering with.  I like that they're bringing back weapon and armor purchases and upgrades in 3, but I also like that ammo types are remaining a power instead.

I still don't like the clip system though.  I mean whatever, i'm over it, but the cooldown/unlimited shots system in 1 was really quite revolutionary, and made different upgrade combos interesting (unlimited fire at high levels, for example)

Well that's good. I've actually stayed away from anything game related. I usually look up everything when I'm hyped for a game like this but I decided to stay completely oblivious to any of the features because I don't want anything ruined.

I think the only thing I know completely is the multiplayer. It seems pretty interesting.

As for the clips, yeah. ME2 became a shooter first type of game. I got frustrated several times when I was in dire situations and I needed those little ammo tubes but I couldn't find any. I miss being able to shoot endlessly until the gun overheated.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #13: March 04, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
I wish to God I could be getting all caught up in the hype for this, by I cant . I haven't even played MS2 yet. I'm so OCD they screwed me with the carryovers from MS1 on 360... I tried before two came out, but I'd replay one so many times to get amped up at the start of two, and have story lines carryover, that I just never did it.

The big game for me this month is Silent Hill. I love me some Silent Hill. Bought a PSP just for Origins, never bought another PSP game, and will probably do the same with Vita for SH Book of whatever. But yeah, MS is awesome, and the idea behind carrying over crap from other saves of other games is awesome... just conflicts with my OCD nature when it comes to gaming.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #14: March 04, 2012, 06:24:43 PM »
I'm more than excited enough for the both of us. I told my wife, as of Tuesday after work, she no longer has a husband.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #15: March 04, 2012, 08:18:55 PM »
I just beat ME1 in January. I'm currently playing ME2.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #16: March 04, 2012, 09:07:15 PM »
I just beat ME1 in January. I'm currently playing ME2.

Glad I'm not the only one hellishly behind, despite buying ME1 the day it was released... did you go all out for the bonuses/carryovers from ME1 to ME2, or just play through ME1 at your leisure to beat it and moved on?

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #17: March 04, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »
Glad I'm not the only one hellishly behind, despite buying ME1 the day it was released... did you go all out for the bonuses/carryovers from ME1 to ME2, or just play through ME1 at your leisure to beat it and moved on?

I just beat it and moved on. I liked ME, but it was incredibly boring at times. ME2 is outstanding and is definitely one of the best games that I've played. It's light years better than ME1.

Don't worry about being behind. I just got Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago. It's only been out for a few years now.  :)

Offline Coladar

« Reply #18: March 04, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »
I just beat it and moved on. I liked ME, but it was incredibly boring at times. ME2 is outstanding and is definitely one of the best games that I've played. It's light years better than ME1.

Don't worry about being behind. I just got Arkham Asylum a few weeks ago. It's only been out for a few years now.  :)

Lol, sounds like we are in the same gaming boat. Just bought AA and its sequel myself a couple months ago, haven't cracked it open yet. Been playing a lot of Resident Evil and Assassin's Creed. Playing RE: Revelations for the 3DS which I beat this week has me on a RE kick now. Played the DLC for RE5 that I never knew existed until Revelations, which is apparently a prequel for one of the two DLCs. Now I see they have RE1-4 on the PSN partially remastered for HD I guess, so I'm on a replay RE from scratch kick now. Obviously skipping the millions of side-games, rail shooter and the like, they released. Sticking with the numbereds, RE Zero and Code Veronica. Fun fun survival horror times in preparation for Operation Raccoon City and my freaking heaven of Silent Hill later this month. Might try to finally play through the Forbidden Siren DLC sequel on the PSN that I've had sitting for, oh, five years, now that I think of it too. Of course Zelda is my favorite VG series period, and due to wanting to savor it, I've still got the Gamecube game plus the two Wii Zeldas to play... I'm horrible when it comes to playing games. Having a game almost a decade old I bought the day it was released, that I love, untouched and with two sequels now.

Awesome month for games though, and unusual in the middle of March. ME, a new Silent Hill, two new Silent Hills actually with the new PlayStation Vita game, plus remastered SH2+3 for HD with new voice acting. Then RE Raccoon City... three damn big titles for the dead zone that March usually is. Plus we get RE6 in November. So three big RE games this year, Revelations, Operation Raccoon City and RE6. Just a shame the RE franchise went more for the third person shooter aspect over the puzzle based action adventure of the first game and the Silent Hill series. I'm afraid SH Downpour might move away from the puzzles and more towards RE style gaming, but we shall see. Anyway, enough off topic gaming rants better suited for the general video games thread.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #19: March 05, 2012, 07:53:55 AM »
Dissenting opinion time - ME1 may have been slow at points but it offered a fresh perspective.  ME2 was just another corridor shooter that happened to have a fantastic story.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #20: March 05, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
I agree somewhat Chief. I don't think that ME1 was less corridor shooter than ME2, but it was unique at the time. Especially the dialog wheel and the way it was just a general direction you wanted the conversation to go.

I player the.crap out of ME1 when I deployed to Iraq. But somehow my saves got corrupted and only a couple.survived.

On the other hand, I have at least a dozen ME2 saves.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #21: March 05, 2012, 08:32:52 AM »
I have never played any of the them but the thread has convinced me to try the ME3 demo at least.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #23: March 07, 2012, 04:15:18 PM »
Thanks for not posting an article with spoilers.

Also, to anyone currently playing who may post in this thread:

USE SPOILER TAGS.  DO NOT POST SPOILERS

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #24: March 07, 2012, 04:16:36 PM »
My guess 4Chan.