Author Topic: NFL Thread (2012-13)  (Read 52905 times)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Re: NFL Thread (2012)
« Reply #1200: December 30, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
C'mon Peterson !

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1201: December 30, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Adrian Peterson is something else.
With 7:54 left in the 4th quarter (Vikings' Michael Jenkins TD), Peterson needs 46 more rushing yards to break Eric Dickerson's NFL single season record of 2105 yards.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1202: December 30, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Aaron Rodgers is something else too.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1203: December 30, 2012, 07:44:45 PM »
Nine yards short.

Offline PC

« Reply #1204: December 30, 2012, 07:48:07 PM »
I'm stunned Minnesota and Chicago played as well as they did.  I expected both of them to fold like cheap suits from the pressure.

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1205: December 30, 2012, 07:49:55 PM »
Nine yards short.
To tie it.  Had his 26-yard run broken free for 11 more yards into the end zone, he would have broken it.

Sooooo close!

"I'm pulling for Adrian to stay healthy, win MVP and play the way he's playing. I do not want him to break my record. I'm not going to tell that lie." - Eric Dickerson, age 52

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1206: December 30, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
To tie it.  Had his 26-yard run broken free for 11 more yards into the end zone, he would have broken it.

(Image removed from quote.)
Sooooo close!

(Image removed from quote.)
"I'm pulling for Adrian to stay healthy, win MVP and play the way he's playing. I do not want him to break my record. I'm not going to tell that lie." - Eric Dickerson, age 52

Craig James (Federals) and Eric Dickerson   ...   Pony Express

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1207: December 30, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »
It's not going to happen, but I wish Lovie Smith would get the ax tomorrow. 

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #1208: December 31, 2012, 01:55:00 PM »
It's not going to happen, but I wish Lovie Smith would get the ax tomorrow.
WISH GRANTED.

Chicago Bears fire Smith, despite 10-6 Won-Loss record in 2012
Philadelphia Eagles fire Andy Reid after 14 seasons
Cleveland Browns oust Shurmur, GM Heckert
Kansas City Chiefs can Romeo Crennel, keep GM Pioli for now
Buffalo Bills fire Chan Gailey after 3 losing seasons
San Diego Chargers fire Norv Turner, GM Smith
New York Jets fire GM; Rex Ryan will return
Jacksonville Jaguars fire GM after 2-14 season. (Coach Mike Mularkey could be next.)
Source: Arizona Cardinals fire Ken Whisenhunt, GM Graves

I thought the Buffalo Bills were poorly coached.  They had a good running back, but insisted on passing almost exclusively in several games, that could have been won with more rushing.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #1209: December 31, 2012, 01:58:56 PM »
I think there's a good chance that PA only has O'Brien at PSU for one year. His phone is going to be ringing incessantly. Josh McDaniels probably gets another shot somewhere too, possibly with KC if Pioli is retained.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1210: December 31, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
I think there's a good chance that PA only has O'Brien at PSU for one year. His phone is going to be ringing incessantly. Josh McDaniels probably gets another shot somewhere too, possibly with KC if Pioli is retained.

Why take the PSU job if you're going to leave after one year? I obviously am just guessing, but to me it seems like BOB wouldn't just leave PSU after one season after taking over after the worst scandal in NCAA history.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1211: December 31, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
Why take the PSU job if you're going to leave after one year? I obviously am just guessing, but to me it seems like BOB wouldn't just leave PSU after one season after taking over after the worst scandal in NCAA history.

stepping stone? He's a hot commodity now, but when scholarship limits and bowl bans start to take a hit on the program, who knows if he'll be able to produce enough results to get the same opportunities that he apparently has now

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1212: December 31, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
i'm shocked Lovie Smith got fired.  I'd bet Ken Wisenhut becomes next year's John Fox and leads a team with a QB to the playoffs.  He could be a good pickup for Philly (if they get a QB).

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1213: December 31, 2012, 02:33:26 PM »

Money  ...  lots of money.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1214: December 31, 2012, 02:45:40 PM »
stepping stone? He's a hot commodity now, but when scholarship limits and bowl bans start to take a hit on the program, who knows if he'll be able to produce enough results to get the same opportunities that he apparently has now

Why would he use PSU as a stepping stone when he could have gone a million other places as a stepping stone? He basically had his choice of offers after last season and he chose to go to PSU. Just seems to me that he wouldn't bounce after one season at PSU. Doesn't make sense.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1215: December 31, 2012, 02:55:25 PM »
Why would he use PSU as a stepping stone when he could have gone a million other places as a stepping stone? He basically had his choice of offers after last season and he chose to go to PSU. Just seems to me that he wouldn't bounce after one season at PSU. Doesn't make sense.

Of the available jobs, PSU had the most upside.   It worked for him.   Might as well cash in.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1216: December 31, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

there are 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL, when the opportunity to take one arises, a coach who wants to be in the NFL should probably take it lest the opportunity not come around again

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1217: December 31, 2012, 03:05:30 PM »
Of the available jobs, PSU had the most upside.   It worked for him.   Might as well cash in.

there are 32 head coaching jobs in the NFL, when the opportunity to take one arises, a coach who wants to be in the NFL should probably take it lest the opportunity not come around again

I guess. I'm probably just being naive that he'd take the PSU job and actually, you know, want to build it up himself and not just hop to an NFL job so quickly.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1218: December 31, 2012, 03:08:52 PM »
I guess. I'm probably just being naive that he'd take the PSU job and actually, you know, want to build it up himself and not just hop to an NFL job so quickly.

I wonder how many guys did that and ended up regretting it (Ferentz comes to mind)? The hot assistant or college coach one year is often forgotten the next.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1219: December 31, 2012, 03:18:16 PM »
espn's article on Reid's firing speculates he could end up in JAX or Arizona, he is already putting together a staff if need be.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #1220: December 31, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
They still didn't belong in the playoffs based upon a crap season.

Being a moron doesn't take a break even during the holidays.  :smh:

Today I am the worlds biggest Dallas Cowboiz and Green Gay Fudgepackers fan.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #1221: December 31, 2012, 05:10:12 PM »
I don't think he had his choice of major BCS programs last year.  I don't think you'll find a report that he was seriously considered for any program other than PSU.  He was just another Charlie Weis / Josh McDaniels / Romeo spawn of Belichek who had coached at lower levels in college.  I'm guessing O'Brien stays.  Lots more job security.  To outbid PSU, an NFL team would likely need to make him one of the highest paid coaches, and he just does not have the record yet.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #1222: December 31, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »
I don't think he had his choice of major BCS programs last year.  I don't think you'll find a report that he was seriously considered for any program other than PSU.  He was just another Charlie Weis / Josh McDaniels / Romeo spawn of Belichek who had coached at lower levels in college.  I'm guessing O'Brien stays.  Lots more job security.  To outbid PSU, an NFL team would likely need to make him one of the highest paid coaches, and he just does not have the record yet.

You under estimate NFL owners.   :)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #1223: December 31, 2012, 05:37:57 PM »

All those guys got offers incredibly quickly despite being in the BB tree, and I think BOB was right there, too. I'm just saying he basically could wait for certain jobs to open up in the NFL/NCAA to open up and see if he can get a chance but instead he went to PSU. If Weis can keep getting offers after a completely terrible coaching career, BOB can pick where he wants to go. I think he's by far the best candidate of the previous BB coaches.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #1224: December 31, 2012, 07:54:04 PM »
i'm shocked Lovie Smith got fired.

I'm not, I'm surprised it took them this long to get rid of his ass.  Hopefully he'll take that crybaby moron Devin Hester with him on his way to Abilene Christian.