Author Topic: Club Leagues (Softball, Kickball, etc)  (Read 1825 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Club Leagues (Softball, Kickball, etc)
« Topic Start: February 22, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
Hey,

I plan on joining something like this when I'm out of college. I'm really bored at the moment and just want to look into this sort of stuff. What is the best way to go about this? What kind of leagues? I, of course, want to have that stereotypical beer league feeling when I join. Is anyone in anything like this?

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Club Leagues (Softball, Kickball, etc)
« Reply #1: February 22, 2012, 10:39:44 PM »
If you can play baseball, look into dcmsbl.com.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #2: February 22, 2012, 10:49:16 PM »
I'm going for a Whiffleball League this year.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #3: February 22, 2012, 11:08:33 PM »
I play rec league softball and volleyball.  Probably closer to the beer league variety, but they are pretty organized.  The vball team is pretty competitive.  I play both mens and coed softball.  Mens team is pretty good and the coed team is pretty terrible.  But we have a lot of fun and I've made a lot of friends that way. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #4: February 22, 2012, 11:14:33 PM »
I play rec league softball and volleyball.  Probably closer to the beer league variety, but they are pretty organized.  The vball team is pretty competitive.  I play both mens and coed softball.  Mens team is pretty good and the coed team is pretty terrible.  But we have a lot of fun and I've made a lot of friends that way. 

I'm most interested in making friends and stuff. I think winning would be a bonus.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: February 22, 2012, 11:21:53 PM »
Almost every town will probably have a summer softball league through their parks and rec department, if not there's probably some sort of organization that runs it.  In Lincoln, it's run through the P&R Dept.  In Omaha, it's run privately. 

My teams started as church teams and sorta morphed from there.  Especially the volleyball team.  Softball teams are still sponsored by the church.  So, maybe if you have a group of friends that wants to play that might be a good place to start, otherwise, the leagues might have a sub list, there's always a team that needs a sub and you can try it out from there.  Sometimes you might find a team that really fits you and them.  We found one of our best vball players like that, she played for us for two years before she went and got married.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #6: February 23, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »
I've been seriously thinking of joining Ponce De Leon baseball. For a guy over 50, I'm still in pretty good shape. I can sprint (not as fast as once, but still flat out), run mile after mile, and my shoulders still work. I'd have to learn how to slide again.

I'm most interested in making friends and stuff. I think winning would be a bonus.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #7: February 23, 2012, 11:51:11 AM »
I've been seriously thinking of joining Ponce De Leon baseball. For a guy over 50, I'm still in pretty good shape. I can sprint (not as fast as once, but still flat out), run mile after mile, and my shoulders still work. I'd have to learn how to slide again.

I'll be playing Ponce this spring - took 2011 off to recover from shoulder and heart surgeries (unrelated incidents). I'll be looking to play in the weeknight league.

Slding in Ponce? Not necessary. You can just give yourself up at the base (no Buster Posey catcher crushing collisions allowed). You wouldn't be the first geezer to not slide for a season....

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: February 23, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »
Somewhat off-topic, but I know Minty and I would both still love to get a WNFF baseball and/or softball game together one of these days.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: February 23, 2012, 11:54:20 AM »
Somewhat off-topic, but I know Minty and I would both still love to get a WNFF baseball and/or softball game together one of these days.

Let's do it.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #10: February 23, 2012, 12:32:00 PM »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Awesome league with varying levels of competition.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #11: February 23, 2012, 12:33:49 PM »

Hopefully third time's a charm.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #12: February 23, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »

:lmao:  if you end up joining a kickball league.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #13: February 23, 2012, 01:18:51 PM »
CMD, let's start kickball, baseball and volleyball teams. Everyone but spidernat is invited

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: February 23, 2012, 01:53:23 PM »
Is everybody really good in Ponce? Or are there folks like me that are sort of starting over?

I'll be playing Ponce this spring - took 2011 off to recover from shoulder and heart surgeries (unrelated incidents). I'll be looking to play in the weeknight league.

Slding in Ponce? Not necessary. You can just give yourself up at the base (no Buster Posey catcher crushing collisions allowed). You wouldn't be the first geezer to not slide for a season....

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #15: February 23, 2012, 02:06:32 PM »
:lmao:  if you end up joining a kickball league.

What the hell are you laughing at. Either way, I'm looking to do some type of sport that I can booze before and afterwards too.

CMD, let's start kickball, baseball and volleyball teams. Everyone but spidernat is invited

I'm game... for real lol

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #16: February 23, 2012, 02:43:03 PM »
What the hell are you laughing at. Either way, I'm looking to do some type of sport that I can booze before and afterwards too.

Don't let it bug you . . .  Haterz gonna hate and he's just jealous because he sucks at sports.

In all seriousness, there's a nationally affiliated kickball association that should have a list of member leagues.  If there isn't one in your area then I reasonably certain they cn help you with resources to start a league of your own.  It's a lot of administrative work but it's doable for someone who has the time.  I don't know the name but the acronym is WAKA or something like that for kickball.

Baseball is easy - search MSBLNational.com or dugout.org for nationally affiliated baseball leagues.  They have leagues in VA, DC and MD.

Softball is a little less organized but work/church/rec leagues are all over DC.  I played one year of softball in DC before converting to baseball fulltime.  But you can also ask blue911 who I believe plays modified pitch or played modified pitch recently enough to know where to find some leagues.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #17: February 23, 2012, 02:57:59 PM »

:clap:  nice, my SAT scores aren't high enough anyway.

Don't let it bug you . . .  Haterz gonna hate and he's just jealous because he sucks at sports.

:lmao:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #18: February 23, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
Is everybody really good in Ponce? Or are there folks like me that are sort of starting over?

Ponce is not for the "really" good players. The "really" good players are playing in the 18+ division at DCMSBL.com - or at least the 30+ division.

There's a lot of pretty good ball players - but Ponce is really laid back, no pitcher can pitch more than 5 innings in a game, there's a continuous batting order - so, if you are on deck this week when the game ends - you bat leadoff next game. People are all paying the same $ to play, its only fair that everyone gets about the same playing time... until playoffs...

For a few years, it seemed that someone new would show up on my team and get  a season ending injury on the first game. I recall a guy coming in on a looper in short CF - he went for the dive and broke his elbow. I remember a guy get on the team, talk about how great a pitcher he was - he pitcher 4 very solid but rusty innings and couldn't get his elbow above his shoulder the rest of the year....

If you - or anyone else wants to throw the ball around - or better hit - do some soft tossing drills in the net, PM me here.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #19: February 23, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
How out of shape are some of the Ponce guys?  I've thought about playing again but I don't want to be the only whale on the field.  In the stands is a different story altogether.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #20: February 23, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

My brother plays in that league.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #21: February 23, 2012, 03:54:43 PM »
I'd play baseball in Richmond if not for the massive sign up fee. Somewhere north of 200.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #22: February 23, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
I'd play baseball in Richmond if not for the massive sign up fee. Somewhere north of 200.

Without sponsors, that's pretty standard.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #23: February 23, 2012, 04:16:00 PM »
How out of shape are some of the Ponce guys?  I've thought about playing again but I don't want to be the only whale on the field.  In the stands is a different story altogether.

Compared to a few guys in our league, you're no whale.  And you're tall so they'd be tempted to play you at 1B anyway unless you can pitch.  But Ponce is for 50+ (IIRC) and you're not 50 - you might want to look into the DCMSBL - they have a  30+ division.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #24: February 23, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
:clap:  nice, my SAT scores aren't high enough anyway.

:lmao:

Don't hate just 'cause I tell the truth.  ;)