Author Topic: Club Leagues (Softball, Kickball, etc)  (Read 1797 times)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Club Leagues (Softball, Kickball, etc)
« Reply #25: February 23, 2012, 04:53:29 PM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't know how good I'd be at baseball but I'd really like to play that again as well... or at least hit some balls and see if I've improved at all lol. I remember seeing some Ponce players back in the day when I was about 8-10. They'd play at Wheaton Regional before and after some of our games

Kickball just seems like such a simple thing to do. That or softball.. I mean come on, beer league was awesome!

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #26: February 23, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
I don't know how good I'd be at baseball

:shock:  When was the last time you played ball?

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #27: February 23, 2012, 06:04:19 PM »
:shock:  When was the last time you played ball?

Back in 8th grade which was like 9-10 years ago.

I play catch every now and then. I also swing the bat a LOT but I don't know if anything would be the same.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #28: February 23, 2012, 06:24:45 PM »
Back in 8th grade which was like 9-10 years ago.

I play catch every now and then. I also swing the bat a LOT but I don't know if anything would be the same.

You were 10 in eight grade? :shock:

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #29: February 23, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #30: February 23, 2012, 06:33:09 PM »
I'm 22

I read that as "back in 8th grade when I was 9 or 10" not, 9 or 10 years ago.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #31: February 23, 2012, 06:54:46 PM »
I read that as "back in 8th grade when I was 9 or 10" not, 9 or 10 years ago.

Ohhh I see. I should've said yes and said I was rly smrt

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #32: February 23, 2012, 07:23:10 PM »
Compared to a few guys in our league, you're no whale.  And you're tall so they'd be tempted to play you at 1B anyway unless you can pitch.  But Ponce is for 50+ (IIRC) and you're not 50 - you might want to look into the DCMSBL - they have a  30+ division.

Ponce has multiple divisions. 30+, 40+ and 50+. But you can play as young as you can handle. That is, you can be 45yo and play 30+, but not the other way around.

Whale? How big?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #33: February 23, 2012, 08:37:30 PM »
Whale? How big?

Currently 6'2" and 350+.  Whale-ish but almost all of it is gut.  I do, however, bike every day at least 30 minutes, hit the weights six days a week, and am obsessive about my food intake.  I use to weight over 500lbs and hope to be under 300lbs by this time next year.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #34: February 24, 2012, 12:26:09 AM »
I also swing the bat a LOT but I don't know if anything would be the same.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #35: February 24, 2012, 12:29:25 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

A lot of times I just don't make sense.

I swing the bat a lot around the house. Like, when I'm watching TV or watching the Nats or whatever... I'll just have the bat in my hands and I'll swing it full speed and all... I just don't think practicing swining would have any affect on actually hitting baseballs in a batting cage/pitching machine/person throwing.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #36: February 24, 2012, 12:37:22 AM »
I just don't think practicing swining would have any affect on actually hitting baseballs in a batting cage/pitching machine/person throwing.

:shock: 

Is that when you go out and get real drunk and wake up next to a fat chick? I thought that was called Julianing. 

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #37: February 24, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
:shock: 

Is that when you go out and get real drunk and wake up next to a fat chick? I thought that was called Julianing. 

That's called forgetting to release the grenade.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #38: February 24, 2012, 01:44:51 AM »
everyone is invited but spidernat

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #39: February 24, 2012, 07:16:53 AM »
Hey,

I plan on joining something like this when I'm out of college. I'm really bored at the moment and just want to look into this sort of stuff. What is the best way to go about this? What kind of leagues? I, of course, want to have that stereotypical beer league feeling when I join. Is anyone in anything like this?

Why join a league?  Walk down to the nearest basketball court and call next.  Unless you're trying to pick up chicks (or dudes) which is the only reason to play kick-ball, but in that case I'd recommend co-ed soccer.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #40: February 24, 2012, 07:56:36 AM »
Why join a league?  Walk down to the nearest basketball court and call next.  Unless you're trying to pick up chicks (or dudes) which is the only reason to play kick-ball, but in that case I'd recommend co-ed soccer.

Well one, no one plays at the courts near me and two it seems like a win win: meeting people,  girls, reason to go out and drink, and sports!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #41: February 24, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations. I don't know how good I'd be at baseball but I'd really like to play that again as well... or at least hit some balls and see if I've improved at all lol. I remember seeing some Ponce players back in the day when I was about 8-10. They'd play at Wheaton Regional before and after some of our games

Kickball just seems like such a simple thing to do. That or softball.. I mean come on, beer league was awesome!

The hardest thing to get back into is timing pitches and you can get a good guage by just hitting the cages for a while.  Everything else will come back to you. 

And you said that winning isn't improtant to you (at least not right away) and if that's the case and you're willing to try to learn a few different positions (especially pitching) then there are teams in the leagues down there always looking for new talent. 

If you're going to do softball, you migh as well try the baseball thing before going the softball route.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #42: February 24, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
Well one, no one plays at the courts near me and two it seems like a win win: meeting people,  girls, reason to go out and drink, and sports!

Plus basketball is freaking stupid.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #43: February 24, 2012, 09:19:04 AM »
Plus basketball is freaking stupid.

:nono:

Basketball is, along with soccer, probably one of the best overall "total exercise" sports.  That said, I can't wait to ride down to Cameron Run and smack the cover off the ball in a couple of weeks.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #44: February 24, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »

Basketball is, along with soccer, probably one of the best overall "total exercise" sports.  That said, I can't wait to ride down to Cameron Run and smack the cover off the ball in a couple of weeks.

Who cares about "total exercise."  That's for fatty-fat-fatties - as a sport it's freaking stupid.

Online blue911

« Reply #45: February 24, 2012, 10:08:42 AM »

I thought soccer was for kids that couldn't ice skate.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #46: February 24, 2012, 10:10:16 AM »
I thought soccer was for kids that couldn't ice skate.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #47: February 24, 2012, 10:27:49 AM »
Currently 6'2" and 350+.  Whale-ish but almost all of it is gut.  I do, however, bike every day at least 30 minutes, hit the weights six days a week, and am obsessive about my food intake.  I use to weight over 500lbs and hope to be under 300lbs by this time next year.

Well, I can't recall seeing anyone playing at 3 bills, but if you want to play, sign up.

When you go to Cameron Run, send me a PM, maybe I will meet you there.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #48: February 24, 2012, 12:41:03 PM »
Well, I can't recall seeing anyone playing at 3 bills, but if you want to play, sign up.

When you go to Cameron Run, send me a PM, maybe I will meet you there.

Thanks but I'm probably going to skip playing this year.  If I can shed enough weight I'll throw my hat in the ring for next season.  I'll definitely be doing Cameron Run at least three times a week come April though.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #49: February 26, 2012, 07:53:36 AM »

I get all those things but when you mix them all together you aren't necessarily maximizing the enjoyment of each one.  Back in the day I'd drive over to the best court I knew of for top pick-up basketball games (Nottoway Park usually), I wanted the high level of competition and the rush of keeping my head on a swivel because I couldn't keep track of all the guys I had fouled over the past week.  Playing co-ed soccer was fun but it was basically our six guys against their six guys and the refs liked to blow their whistles too damn much.  Hanging out with my girl and then partying with my crew were separate activities. 

I'm with Minty as far as baseball v. softball and I'm with Spidy on the kickball thing.