Author Topic: Linsanity  (Read 1388 times)

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Linsanity
« Topic Start: February 17, 2012, 09:19:47 AM »
More annoying than Tebow?

The Daily Show blames Neil Degrasse-Tyson.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-february-16-2012/larry-wilmore-s-lin-grown-toenail

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Re: Linsanity
« Reply #1: February 17, 2012, 09:42:22 AM »
Not annoying at all actually.

Offline imref

« Reply #2: February 17, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
Not annoying at all actually.

the wall-to-wall Lin coverage has been a bit much.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #3: February 17, 2012, 09:56:01 AM »
Would be cooler if it was Lintsanity.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: February 17, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
He's the easiest nba player to root for by a mile- finished college, had to play in the d-league, got his shot while sleeping on a friends couch while preparing for a post basketball life in the ministry, throw in that he's well spoken and humble, and you have a perfect Disney script

Offline imref

« Reply #5: February 17, 2012, 09:57:09 AM »
He's the easiest nba player to root for by a mile- finished college, had to play in the d-league, got his shot while sleeping on a friends couch while preparing for a post basketball life in the ministry, throw in that he's well spoken and humble, and you have a perfect Disney script

I'm not knocking him, i'm knocking the over-the-top coverage of the guy (and everyone and their brother trying to make a Lin joke).

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #6: February 17, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
Though you aren't media, aren't you contributing to the over-the-top coverage by starting this post?

Offline imref

« Reply #7: February 17, 2012, 10:14:38 AM »
Though you aren't media, aren't you contributing to the over-the-top coverage by starting this post?

No, i'm commenting on the over-the-top coverage of Lin, not providing over-the-top coverage of Lin.

:)

Offline Tokeydog

• I like beer!
« Reply #8: February 17, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »
Still driving the hype.

By the way I agree with you.  I love the whole Lin story, but my god there isn't a time in the past week or so that I have turned on the tv or the radio and heard "Jeremy Lin ..."

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: February 17, 2012, 10:44:27 AM »
Linsanity is at least fun, Tebowonia made me want to blow my brains out.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #10: February 17, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
He's making a mint for Greg Mangano, the best player in the Ivies this year.

Bob Ryan:
Big men of promise do not ordinarily gravitate to the Ivies, but do keep your eye on current Yalie Greg Mangano, who has a chance to play for pay.
Best Yale big man since Chris Dudley.  I don't know if that is damning by faint praise.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #11: February 17, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »
There is nothing else going on in sports.

No one really cares about hockey. There's no football to speak of other than draft stock (but hasn't even been a combine). Baseball hasn't started.

Soccer? Even ESPN can't make American audiences give a damn about that. So what else is there?

Good story. Makes me want to watch him play.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #12: February 17, 2012, 11:13:25 AM »
...    but my god there isn't a time in the past week or so that I have turned on the tv or the radio and heard "Jeremy Lin ..."

There's always Whitney Houston  ...

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #13: February 17, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »

Meh I don't see a problem

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #14: February 17, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
I don't either. The guy is athletic enough to play in the NBA and a brilliant, team-oriented point guard.

But the real story should be how embarrassing it is that the NBA forgot how much a pass-first, basketball-smart point guard can do for a team.

Meh I don't see a problem

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #15: February 17, 2012, 12:57:15 PM »
I'm glad i'm not the only person that feels this way. I've stopped watching espn and started watching NBCSN because they're not talking about him that much. It's all a ploy by ESPN to get interest in the NBA nationwide (they have a huge TV deal with the NBA, of course they're going to promote the crap out of it). It's a slow sports news time of year, god forbid they cover the NHL. The Knicks were a sub-.500 team until the last game and the guy has only played 6 games. I know he's playing well, but stop acting like they just won the NBA title.
It's also only getting coverage because it's NY and any other team would be ignored most likely. The San Antonio Spurs are on a 9 game winning streak, is ESPN covering a second of that? nope.

It's a perfect example of the media choosing what they want to cover, even if it isn't really as good of a story as they make it out to be.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #16: February 18, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
Did anyone see the racist headline on ESPN last night about the Knicks loss? It was (just reposting, I mean no offense): Chink in the Armor

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #17: February 18, 2012, 01:36:20 PM »
No, not worse than Tebow.

because you don't have demagogues, race-baiters, homophobes and women-haters trying to jump on Lin's fame to promote their anti-women, anti-gay, and anti-poor agendas.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #18: February 18, 2012, 03:12:51 PM »
Did anyone see the racist headline on ESPN last night about the Knicks loss? It was (just reposting, I mean no offense): Chink in the Armor

That is certainly in bad taste.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #19: February 18, 2012, 03:37:45 PM »
That is certainly in bad taste.

It was rightfully taken down afterwards but I'm amazed such a title could get posted like that.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #20: February 18, 2012, 03:48:27 PM »
It's a good story, but ESPN will run it into the ground because it pimps anything NBA. ESPN's NBA coverage is the main reason I stay away from the network. I only watch ESPNews. It's bad with the NBA stuff, but not nearly as unwatchable at Sportscenter. I'm starting to watch NBCSN more and more now also.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: February 18, 2012, 04:06:33 PM »

ESPN better nip that crap in the bud right now.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #22: February 18, 2012, 04:23:12 PM »
It's a good story, but ESPN will run it into the ground because it pimps anything NBA. ESPN's NBA coverage is the main reason I stay away from the network. I only watch ESPNews. It's bad with the NBA stuff, but not nearly as unwatchable at Sportscenter. I'm starting to watch NBCSN more and more now also.

Agreed, except I don't even bother with ESPNews.  I just watch the league networks.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #23: February 18, 2012, 04:27:23 PM »
Agreed, except I don't even bother with ESPNews.  I just watch the league networks.
MLB network is pretty much on par with ESPN and 24 hours of baseball, when I don't care about the NBA finals early in the season.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #24: February 18, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »
NBCSN just signed a 5-year deal with the CAA for football and basketball. They're supporting non-major conferences and I respect that. I look forward to them growing as a network and hopefully rivaling ESPN (which has been pissing me off lately with their biased coverage of only certain sports and teams).