Author Topic: Linsanity  (Read 1374 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Linsanity
« Reply #25: February 18, 2012, 04:31:04 PM »
[...]It's also only getting coverage because it's NY and any other team would be ignored most likely. The San Antonio Spurs are on a 9 game winning streak, is ESPN covering a second of that? nope.[...]

You hit it right there - if Lin were doing his thing at the Pacers or Timberwolves nobody in the media would give a toss.

...I was at Wizards-Knicks the Wednesday before last...it was nearly half Knicks supporters in there (usually is when they're in town) and every time Lin did something a lot of them would get up and scream like those girls at the Beatles concerts in 1964 used to...my ears are still ringing....

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #26: February 18, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »
Agreed, except I don't even bother with ESPNews.  I just watch the league networks.

I've been doing that as well. I like the NHL network's hockey coverage on NHL Tonight. The MLB network is pretty good also.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #27: February 18, 2012, 04:39:07 PM »
Go check out Nikola Pekovic's stats since he began starting for Minnesota. He's been even more impressive than Lin, but no one says anything about him.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #28: February 18, 2012, 04:50:02 PM »
Go check out Nikola Pekovic's stats since he began starting for Minnesota. He's been even more impressive than Lin, but no one says anything about him.

...third in the league in field goal percentage (.617) - not bad at all.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #29: February 18, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
it's all just espn trying to build hype for their nba programming by sensationalizing a single player, i.e. Tebowmania, in a major market. NY sports have been popular in the country lately, Giants, Yankees, so they're trying to get America on the NY sports bandwagon.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #30: February 18, 2012, 10:39:45 PM »

and he invented the AC motor.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #31: February 19, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »
Did anyone see the racist headline on ESPN last night about the Knicks loss? It was (just reposting, I mean no offense): Chink in the Armor

The more I think of this the more it pisses me off, ESPN is going down a very slippery slope if they continue to allow this nonsense to persist.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #32: February 19, 2012, 09:10:37 AM »
The more I think of this the more it pisses me off, ESPN is going down a very slippery slope if they continue to allow this nonsense to persist.

Can't wait to see ESPN's next headline for Kobie Bryant or Albert Pujols.   I simply can't see how any competent producer, director, editor, anchor, janitor ... could allow the Lin comment on the air.   As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, "Somebody's head ought to roll."   

PS  Read Mike Wise this morning and he made the point that one of the people in charge is Colbert King's son and the son, Rob, was shocked, simply shocked,  that this happened.   Oh, the sweet irony.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #33: February 19, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
ESPN doesn't care anymore- if it causes an uproar, more viewers and page hits, and their talking heads get something else to talk about. End of the day some poor sap at the bottom of the food chain may loose their job

Online imref

« Reply #34: February 19, 2012, 09:52:36 AM »
Last night's snl opening skit had the nba analysts making non-stop racial jokes about Lin, even over-dubbing his interview like they do for godzilla movies.  Meanwhile one analyst was fired for making fun of Carmelo Anthony.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #35: February 19, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7591778/espn-statement-offensive-jeremy-lin-comments

the employee that wrote and ok'ed the headline was fired. a news anchor that said something else on air was suspended for 30 days.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #36: February 19, 2012, 04:38:49 PM »
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/7591778/espn-statement-offensive-jeremy-lin-comments

the employee that wrote and ok'ed the headline was fired. a news anchor that said something else on air was suspended for 30 days.

To add to HalfSmokes' point, ESPN brass doesn't comprehend that the people who did this thought it was OK.  They thought it was OK because they watch and hear this crap everyday in the workplace and on the air.    So, instead of nailing the top dogs who create the 24 hour drama and the loosey goosey attitude that comes with it, they go after some intern or something who worked the night shift.    Happens every day in the workplace ...  no surprises here.

ESPN executive overheard in the Bristol can:   "We'll get rid of some 24 year old 'kid' and make a gazillion bucks with all the coverage.   It's all about the money."

(rant off)

Online imref

« Reply #37: February 19, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
anyone see Lin interviewed on ESPN this morning?  For a guy who went to Harvard he's not the most articulate fellow in the world.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #38: February 19, 2012, 04:57:31 PM »
anyone see Lin interviewed on ESPN this morning?  For a guy who went to Harvard he's not the most articulate fellow in the world.

Well, he's no Yalie, just look at the way that JCA fellow speaks. :stir: :poke: :popcorn:

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #39: February 19, 2012, 05:08:01 PM »
I was at the Pro Image store and they were taking orders for T shirts with LINSANE 17 on the back

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #40: February 19, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

nice to see the lowest level hear roll

Offline mitlen

« Reply #41: February 19, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »

Lt. Calley

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #42: February 19, 2012, 09:12:47 PM »

Isn't that how it goes in the workplace? Why would execs fire themselves? They'd be....unemployed... god forbid.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #43: February 20, 2012, 07:27:37 AM »
Isn't that how it goes in the workplace? Why would execs fire themselves? They'd be....unemployed... god forbid.

In addition it could (from the standpoint of corporate management and legal liability) be rather difficult - if a top dog is sacked it could trigger a massively pricey 'golden parachute' severance/buyout package.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #44: February 20, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »

diploma mill.

Well, he's no Yalie, just look at the way that JCA fellow speaks. :stir: :poke: :popcorn:

F yah!

Offline mitlen

« Reply #45: February 20, 2012, 01:21:05 PM »

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #46: February 20, 2012, 02:41:19 PM »
F yah!

Oh come on, you know I'm just playing with you champ.  It's jealousy really - I'm stuck sounding like Malcolm Gladwell whereas you sound like someone that's spent some time in Dorchester keeping it "real".  Don't let my jealousy get to you - you're still number one in my book!