Author Topic: WIZARDS  (Read 1380 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
WIZARDS
« Topic Start: January 30, 2007, 07:51:52 PM »
Washington Basketball is still on top of the East and whippin' up on the 2nd place Pistons right now.  Hope they continue for the win tonight to put themselves 1 and 1/2 over Detroit.  The Wizards are for real man...we have ourselves a real basketball team in Washington D.C.  I was too young to remember the last time that's happened.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: WIZARDS vs. Pistons Tonight
« Reply #1: January 30, 2007, 08:01:23 PM »
Just noticed a Nationals fan sitting directly behind the Wizards bench.  Got that winter home jersey Nats Coat like mine.  You know the one that can only be worn at Wizards & Caps games because the Nats will never be playing when it's cold in October.   ;)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: WIZARDS vs. Pistons Tonight
« Reply #2: January 30, 2007, 11:34:06 PM »
WIZARDS 104   PISTONS 99

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Even a knee injury to Antawn Jamison couldn't mask the significance of a victory over the Detroit Pistons, a Washington Wizards win so big that even coach Eddie Jordan threw trash-talking caution to the wind -- at least for a second.

"That team is a very good team. Are we done with them?" Jordan asked.

Yes, coach, the Wizards and Pistons won't meet again in the regular season.

"So," Jordan said, "we kicked their butts."

Gilbert Arenas had 36 points, 11 assists and seven rebounds in Tuesday night's 104-99 victory that kept the Wizards atop the Eastern Conference and gave the teams a 2-2 split in the season series, leveling the first tiebreaker should they finish the regular season with the same record. Washington beat Detroit twice in five days, having won 99-96 on the road last week.

But the Wizards also left the court anxious for news about Jamison, who sprained his left knee after colliding with teammate DeShawn Stevenson under the basket during a fast break with 6:29 to play in the first quarter.

Jordan said Jamison will not travel to Toronto for Wednesday's game against the Raptors and will undergo an MRI on Thursday.

"Then we'll take it from there," Jordan said.

Jamison, averaging 19.3 points and 7.9 rebounds, hyperextended the same knee against Boston on Jan. 20. He was given two days off from practice last week to rest and responded with his two best games of the season: 35 points against Detroit and 34 points against Boston on Sunday.

Jamison has yet to miss a start this season and would be difficult to replace if he's out for any extended period -- he, Arenas and Caron Butler form the NBA's highest-scoring trio at a combined 70 points per game -- but the Wizards persevered without him Tuesday to win for the seventh time in eight games.

Stevenson picked some of the slack, scoring 15 points on 7-for-8 shooting. Butler finished with 13 points. Arenas played 44 minutes, while Butler logged 46. Calvin Booth and Jarvis Hayes got extra minutes coming off the bench.

"We've won some games even without Gilbert over the last year or two," Jordan said. "Look at Cleveland tonight -- they killed Golden State without LeBron (James), so things like that happen in the league. You can withstand it for a couple of games, but in the long run you eventually wear down."

Washington shot 61 percent in the first quarter, led by 19 points midway through the second, then held off the Pistons after Detroit pulled within single digits in the fourth. Arenas, who scored 14 points in the final period, converted a three-point play with 1:44 to play to restore a 10-point lead.

The Pistons made one final push, due largely to the Wizards' three missed free throws in the final 30 seconds, but Tayshaun Prince then missed a 3-pointer that would have cut the lead to two.

"A lot of times what happens when a team comes out and they hit boom-boom, a couple of shots right away, it's like you're hit with a knockout punch early, and you're staggered," Detroit coach Flip Saunders said. "We didn't react real good after that -- right away. We wasted a little bit of time."

Chauncey Billups scored 24 points, Prince had 19 points, and Richard Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace finished with 15 apiece for the Pistons.

"When Jamison went down, that was a plus for us," Billups said. "We focused a little more on Caron and Gilbert. Gilbert hit some tough, tough shots with hands in his face and kept their runs going."

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
WIZARDS: Butler Makes All Star Squad
« Reply #3: February 01, 2007, 09:39:34 PM »
Caron Butler Makes All-Star Squad
By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
February 1, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- One bad night may have overshadowed all the good Carmelo Anthony has done this season.

The NBA's leading scorer was not among the seven reserves announced Thursday night for the Western Conference team that will play in the NBA All-Star game.

Denver teammate Allen Iverson was chosen, extending his streak of consecutive All-Star appearances to eight. He started the last seven games while playing for Philadelphia. Anthony, who is averaging 31.3 points but missed 15 games while suspended for his role in the brawl at Madison Square Garden, was the most obvious omission.

Earlier Thursday, Anthony said he hoped his suspension wouldn't prevent him from earning his first All-Star spot.

"I hope no one holds that over my head over anything," he said. "Things happen. One incident like that is held over one person's head, life ain't fair.

"I did my punishment. I could've easily kept my name out there by appealing it and doing other stuff about it, but I just did my 15 games suspension and hopefully put that behind us."

Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire and Shawn Marion were all chosen from the Phoenix Suns, but Dirk Nowitzki was the only player picked from the Dallas Mavericks, who have the league's best record. The Mavericks had been hoping Josh Howard would be selected as well.

Detroit and New Jersey had multiple reserves picked for the Feb. 18 game. Chauncey Billups and Richard Hamilton, who both made their first appearances last season, are going back, and Jason Kidd and Vince Carter will represent the Nets in the game at UNLV's Thomas & Mack Center.

Indiana's Jermaine O'Neal and first-timers Dwight Howard of Orlando and Caron Butler of Washington round out the East reserves.

The seven reserves were voted on by the head coaches in their respective conferences. Coaches couldn't vote for their own players, and had to select two forwards, two guards, a center and two players regardless of their position.

The remainder of the West reserves were San Antonio guard Tony Parker and Utah forward Carlos Boozer.

The starters were announced last Thursday. LeBron James, Shaquille O'Neal, Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade and Gilbert Arenas were picked in the East. Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Yao Ming, Tracy McGrady and Kobe Bryant were voted in by fans to start for the West.

Anthony still has a chance to play in Las Vegas. NBA commissioner David Stern will choose a replacement for Yao, who is still recovering from a broken bone under his knee, and Boozer also could be unavailable because of a hairline fracture in his left leg.

He's expected to miss a few weeks, but said Thursday he hopes to return in time for All-Star weekend. He doesn't know when he would need to resume running for that to happen.

"Hopefully if everything works out, it will be right on time," he said. "I'll put it like that."

Anthony and Josh Howard are the most likely replacement choices, but could face competition for those spots from Seattle's Ray Allen, Portland's Zach Randolph, the Clippers' Elton Brand and another Denver player, Marcus Camby.

Stern said he expected to make his decision in the next few days, and that when doing so he wouldn't consider the suspension he gave Anthony for the punch the Denver star hit the Knicks' Mardy Collins with on Dec. 16.

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni will lead the West squad, since Dallas' Avery Johnson is ineligible after coaching last season. The same three Suns were chosen as reserves to the 2005 game.

"Obviously the reason I'm there is because of these three guys and other guys on the Phoenix Suns," D'Antoni said in a statement. "For them to get this, that's really special."

Washington's Eddie Jordan is close to clinching the East coaching spot, largely because of the play of Butler. The forward is averaging 20.6 points and 8.0 rebounds, both career highs.

"Coach Jordan gave me more and more freedom and I really thought I had a chance," Butler said. "I dedicated my time last summer and look what came out of it. I couldn't be happier with this, but I know there is still work to be done."

AP Sports Writers Pat Graham in Denver and Doug Alden in Salt Lake City contributed to this report.

Offline sportsfan882

Re: WIZARDS vs. Pistons: JAN 30
« Reply #4: February 01, 2007, 10:05:22 PM »
I went to the pistons game on Tuesday (first Wiz game I've ever been to) and man was it awesome.  I am so happy for Butler making the ASG, he really deserved it.  The Kobe VS Gil rematch on Saturday should be incredible to watch. 

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Re: WIZARDS vs. Pistons: JAN 30
« Reply #5: February 01, 2007, 10:44:59 PM »
I went to the pistons game on Tuesday (first Wiz game I've ever been to) and man was it awesome.  I am so happy for Butler making the ASG, he really deserved it.  The Kobe VS Gil rematch on Saturday should be incredible to watch. 
Unfortunately we are going to have to do it without Antawn Jamison.  Latest I read was he's going to be out for 3-6 weeks.  Man...that's gonna kill us: he's the third highest scorer on the team.   :-[

nospinzone1

Re: WIZARDS
« Reply #6: February 02, 2007, 03:55:13 PM »
Washington Basketball is still on top of the East and whippin' up on the 2nd place Pistons right now.  Hope they continue for the win tonight to put themselves 1 and 1/2 over Detroit.  The Wizards are for real man...we have ourselves a real basketball team in Washington D.C.  I was too young to remember the last time that's happened.

I am not much of a basketball fan. I tune in games in the last 5 minuts of the game because the rest of the game I find boring. Having said that, I want to say what a refreshing player I find Gilbert Arenas to be. Have not seen anybody more down to earth in sports of any kind. Very few of them. He is something to be proud to have in your team.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #7: February 03, 2007, 02:47:24 AM »
Sold out Lakers game is tonight at 7PM.  I sure hope they can stick it to Kobe Bryant without Jamison.  Kobe ran his mouth about not being ready for Gilbert last time in LA and vowed to return the favor and show up the Wizards at home at the Verizon Center.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #8: February 03, 2007, 09:03:18 AM »
You forgot to mention that Gilbert Arenas is going to be a STARTER in the All-Star game!

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #9: February 03, 2007, 02:34:37 PM »
You forgot to mention that Gilbert Arenas is going to be a STARTER in the All-Star game!
Well that goes without saying...Gilbert should have been in last year.   :)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #10: February 03, 2007, 02:38:33 PM »
Well that goes without saying...Gilbert should have been in last year.   :)

I agree, however he's been waaaaaay too good this year to even think of denying him the starting job.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #11: February 05, 2007, 09:50:18 PM »
Butler Has Career Night

WASHINGTON, Feb. 5 (AP) -- Caron Butler scored a career-high 38 points to help the Washington Wizards overcome Gilbert Arenas' mediocre night and beat Seattle 118-108 Monday, the SuperSonics' franchise-record 15th consecutive road loss.

With Arenas held to 16 points on 4-for-14 shooting and Antawn Jamison out with a sprained left knee, the Wizards needed to find scoring elsewhere - and they did.

It began with Butler, who's headed to his first All-Star game thanks to his best numbers in every major statistical category this season, though he still usually must take a back seat to Arenas.

Not on this night. The highlight was a steal and buzzer-beating 3-pointer to end the third quarter, putting Washington up 88-79, but Butler was everywhere at both ends of the floor. He closed fast breaks with dunks, made mid-range jumpers, skipped a no-look bounce pass, harassed Ray Allen on defense and swatted one blocked shot into the seats.

Brendan Haywood added a season-high 20 points and 11 rebounds, second-year forward Andray Blatche contributed a career-high 14 points, and DeShawn Stevenson added 15 points.

Allen led Seattle with 29 points, but he shot only 3-for-14 after halftime. Chris Wilcox had 24 points and 10 rebounds for the SuperSonics, who have lost five in a row overall.

Seattle's road losing streak is the longest in the NBA since the Portland Trail Blazers dropped 16 in a row away from home in February-April 2006.

Before Monday's game, Seattle coach Bob Hill wrote this message atop the greaseboard in the visiting locker room in red ink and capital letters: "LOST 14 STRAIGHT ON THE ROAD.''

"Are we tough enough? Do we have competitive spirit? Do we know how to win? What is it? It's something,'' Hill said, before mentioning injuries as one element in his club's struggles. But, he continued, "There's other players in there, too, that need to scoot their ... chairs up to the table and be accountable.''

Washington, meanwhile, ended a two-game skid without its third-leading scorer, Jamison, who could miss six weeks.

"We've lost two in a row and our guys feel like it's 10 in a row,'' coach Eddie Jordan said beforehand. "There's a sense of urgency tonight.''

Didn't seem that way early: Lax on defense at times, Washington allowed Seattle to make better than 60 percent of its shots in the first half. But the Wizards outscored the visitors 32-20 in the third quarter.

The SuperSonics led 59-56 at the break, then used an 11-0 run - the last six points coming from Wilcox - to go up 70-58 with 7:45 left in the third quarter. But Washington responded with a 17-4 spurt, capped by Arenas' 3-pointer, to take a 75-74 lead with 3+ minutes to go in the period. Those were Arenas' first points of the second half.

Washington ended the third quarter with an 11-1 run, and the crowd was loud at the end of the period when Butler took away the ball and made his 3. That gave him 26 points for the game, and he wound up eclipsing his previous NBA best of 35 points, for the Miami Heat against Minnesota on March 28, 2003.

Notes: Seattle F Rashard Lewis will participate in full-contact practice Tuesday after missing more than a month with a right hand injury. Seattle is 7-14 without him. ... Haywood's previous season high was 15 points. ... Blatche's career high was 10.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #12: February 05, 2007, 10:14:31 PM »
Probably the greatest thing Caron Butler can do IMO is make the Wizards a two-man show instead of just Arenas.  When a team only has one star, and no other difference-maker, that star will often get double-teamed.  In recent games, Arenas has been limited by double-teaming a lot.  If Butler can prove himself to be a true star, than that takes away the double-teaming, and produces a two-headed machine.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
« Reply #13: February 06, 2007, 12:32:36 AM »

Caron Butler