Author Topic: Springsteen at Nationals Park?  (Read 695 times)

Offline 1995hoo

Springsteen at Nationals Park?
« Topic Start: February 13, 2012, 11:20:49 AM »
There's a rumour, currently unsubstantiated, on the Backstreets.com forum that Springsteen may play Nationals Park this fall, possibly the weekend of September 14 when the Nationals are in Atlanta. As yet no tour dates are announced after the July 31 show in Helsinki, but the press release for the spring US dates called it the "first US leg" of a "world tour." Back in 2003 he played FedEx on September 13 and it didn't sell out, so I wonder if he might consider a smaller venue this time.

I rather hope he doesn't play Nationals Park. Go to the Ravens' stadium in Baltimore if FedEx is too big. Baseball stadium concerts lose something in terms of the crowd dynamic because of the way the "floor" is so isolated due to the teams understandably restricting access to the infield during any sort of non-baseball event (not just concerts—recall that when Pope Benedict XVI celebrated Mass at Nationals Park the congregation were not allowed into the infield either). Plus if the Nationals do turn out to compete for a playoff spot this year it would be nice not to have the outfield torn up by a concert. Springsteen doesn't use floor seating—it's all standing-room general admission—and I wonder if that might pummel the field even more if it allows for more people to cram in down there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Springsteen at Nationals Park?
« Reply #1: February 13, 2012, 12:07:32 PM »
as long as they give season ticket holders first crack at the tickets, I'm happy.

Offline Mathguy

• Whoa That Was A Good One ! Poke His Brain Here !
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2: February 13, 2012, 12:08:03 PM »
I wouldn't compare the crowd at FedEx with the potential crowd at Nationals Park.  The Navy Yard is easier to get to.  Also, why not consider RFK ?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #3: February 13, 2012, 12:09:02 PM »
He likes active baseball stadia.  He played Fenway, despite being a NYY fan.

Offline imref

• 1B: The New Hot Corner
« Reply #4: February 13, 2012, 01:02:41 PM »
I wouldn't compare the crowd at FedEx with the potential crowd at Nationals Park.  The Navy Yard is easier to get to.  Also, why not consider RFK ?

i'm surprised he didn't sell out FedEx, but then again I don't think McCartney sold out as well.

Offline 1995hoo

« Reply #5: February 13, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
i'm surprised he didn't sell out FedEx, but then again I don't think McCartney sold out as well.

As I think about it further, I don't doubt that part of the issue for Springsteen in 2003 was that he had already played a large number of stadium shows in the DC-to-Boston corridor during the two months prior to the FedEx show—on that tour he played 10 nights at Giants Stadium in July and August, two at Gillette Stadium (Patriots) in August, three at Lincoln Financial Field (Philadelphia) in August, then two more at Fenway Park in September and two in Hartford a few weeks later, and finally the tour closed with three shows at Shea Stadium in October. That many stadium shows may well have diluted the ticket demand in New York and New Jersey enough that there was less motivation for people up there to travel down here like they often do when he doesn't play as many dates and it's harder to get tickets.