Author Topic: James Madison v. West Virginia at Fed Ex Field  (Read 615 times)

Offline NatsFanSince2005

James Madison v. West Virginia at Fed Ex Field
« Topic Start: February 10, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »
http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/150048238F0D4CB5?majorcatid=10004&artistid=805812&minorcatid=8

Today they announced pricing for the JMU/WVU matchup at Fed Ex on Sept. 15. It's fairly high IMO, but what do you expect from something at Fed Ex? If you're an alum of either school, there's no excuse to not show up for this one. If you're a casual CFB, it may be worth checking out if you're in the DC metro area. JMU beat VT in 2010 21-16, so hopefully a similar fight will ensue in DC.

p.s. please refrain from griping about an FCS team, it's been overdone about 1000 times.

Offline JMUalumni

Re: James Madison v. West Virginia at Fed Ex Field
« Reply #1: February 10, 2012, 12:48:22 PM »
I can't access ticketmaster at work, how fast are the tickets going?  I plan on buying them after I get off today and I can't imagine them selling out on the first day, but if that looks imminent please let me know so that I can make the proper arrangements.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #2: February 10, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
I can't access ticketmaster at work, how fast are the tickets going?  I plan on buying them after I get off today and I can't imagine them selling out on the first day, but if that looks imminent please let me know so that I can make the proper arrangements.
Good to see a fellow Duke on here  :D. Technically that ticketmaster site is just listing prices right now, they're not on sale yet. I seriously doubt this game will sell out in the big Fed Ex field. I'm thinking 50-60% capacity perhaps, with the attendance being 75% for WVU. Hopefully ticket prices will go down on stubhub when fedex sells them directly on there, if the demand is not very high. Obviously I wish there was high demand, but i'm being realistic.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: February 10, 2012, 01:20:16 PM »
Yeah, realistically speaking the highest amount of Dukes fans they could pull for a JMU home game is ~30K.  Being extremely liberal with an estimate by adding another 5K of noVA alumni, that would be 35K just from JMU (20-25K Dukes fans seems like a reasonable estimate).  I don't know what kind of numbers WVU games bring, but I'm sure it would be close to double that.

The encouraging news is that I have yet to talk to a single alumni that is NOT going to the game, even those that aren't sports fans.  So there should be some good purple/gold representation there, as well as some JMU style tailgates.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

« Reply #4: February 10, 2012, 01:33:11 PM »
Yeah, realistically speaking the highest amount of Dukes fans they could pull for a JMU home game is ~30K.  Being extremely liberal with an estimate by adding another 5K of noVA alumni, that would be 35K just from JMU (20-25K Dukes fans seems like a reasonable estimate).  I don't know what kind of numbers WVU games bring, but I'm sure it would be close to double that.

The encouraging news is that I have yet to talk to a single alumni that is NOT going to the game, even those that aren't sports fans.  So there should be some good purple/gold representation there, as well as some JMU style tailgates.
Yep I know people that don't typically go to every game, but only one a year, even they understand the importance of simply showing up. They're making an effort to attend this game even if they're not big into football, just in support of their school on a bigger stage.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #5: February 11, 2012, 11:11:32 AM »
Smart move by WVU to play the game in DC. There's lots of WVU alumni in the area and it gives them a chance to gain new fans. Hell, most of their games are on MASN as it is. I wouldn't mind seeing them do a Big 12 game at FedEx against Texas or Oklahoma. I would go see that.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

http://www.jmusports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=205389474&DB_OEM_ID=14400

JMU/WVU tickets are on sale today! Does anyone know if FedEx Field ever resells blocks of tickets on stubhub for cheaper if they're not close to a sellout? Any chance of prices going down aside from a random person that can't go after buying a ticket, last minute?

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Why on earth would I want to see WVU destroy JMU? Much less why would I want to go to Maryland to do it?

Offline JMUalumni

The likelihood is that they (JMU) will get destroyed, but Maryland barely escaped at home against the Dukes two years ago (thanks to an injury to JMU's kicker) and Virginia Tech sure put a whooping on JMU last season...

Regardless of the outcome, the game should draw a good crowd because both teams have relatively large fan bases in the DC-Metro area.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

The likelihood is that they (JMU) will get destroyed, but Maryland barely escaped at home against the Dukes two years ago (thanks to an injury to JMU's kicker) and Virginia Tech sure put a whooping on JMU last season...

Regardless of the outcome, the game should draw a good crowd because both teams have relatively large fan bases in the DC-Metro area.
JMU beat VT in 2010. But a great, rainy day none the less! I am just spreading the word and hoping any JMU or WVU alums in the area make an effort to go.

Offline BerkeleyNat

WVU will probably be stacked next season. I think they will put up some points on JMU. WVU did struggle for a half last season against Norfolk State before turning on the afterburners.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

WVU will probably be stacked next season. I think they will put up some points on JMU. WVU did struggle for a half last season against Norfolk State before turning on the afterburners.
Norfolk State isn't even that good of an FCS team, they were MEAC champs, but that doesn't say much. I hope a similar opportunity presents itself. A close, competitive game is more entertaining to everyone but a WVU fan.

Offline BerkeleyNat

Norfolk State isn't even that good of an FCS team, they were MEAC champs, but that doesn't say much. I hope a similar opportunity presents itself. A close, competitive game is more entertaining to everyone but a WVU fan.

NS led 12-10 at the half. WVU ended up winning 55-12. I think WVU was still picking up Holgerson's system at that point in the season. It was their second game.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

NS led 12-10 at the half. WVU ended up winning 55-12. I think WVU was still picking up Holgerson's system at that point in the season. It was their second game.
It should be closer than 55-12 I believe.