Poll

Will the 2012 Nats win more than 85 games?

Yes, they will win 86 games or more
71 (65.1%)
No, they will win 85 games or less
38 (34.9%)

Total Members Voted: 109

Voting closed: April 05, 2012, 04:16:40 PM

Author Topic: 2012 Official Prediction Thread + Over/Under 85 wins poll  (Read 12497 times)

Offline MorseTheHorse

yes this is serious:

Wins: 94
Losses: 68   
NL East Standing: 2nd (3 games back of Philly)

HR Leader and #: Morse 34
RBI Leader and #: Morse 118
Runs Leader and #: Werth 101
Average Leader and #: Morse .308
SB Leader and #: Desmond 29

Wins Leader and #: Gonzalez 18
Saves Leader and #: Storen 46

Team MVP: Morse   
Post-season Awards: Morse (5th-MVP, SS),  Zman (GG, SS), Espinosa (GG), Harper (RoY), Werth(Comeback Player of the Year), Strasburg (3rd- Cy Young):
Team All-Star(s): Morse, Zman, Strasburg

Is Davey managing at the end of the season?: Yes
When will Harper debut? Opening Day
Does Teddy finally win a race? No
What are Werth's season ending stats (BA/OBP/SLG/HR/R/RBI/SB) (.280/.370/.480/23/101/81/24)
Bonus Prediction:  Nats lead the league in HRs with 193.  Morse/Zman get 30+.  Harper/Werth/Espinosa/ LaRoche all hit 20+.  Ramos gets 17.  They  lose in the NLCS.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
yeah i noticed that too... spring training predictions?

I'll put in my season predictions in late March.  Doesn't this thread usually get started a little later in the year?  At least after pitchers and catchers report.

Agree with BiL that we over-achieved last year.  We didn't improve the offense, which sucked, and we did improve the rotation which was already decent.  Assuming a few more wins from our better pitching staff and fewer garbage time wins in Septembers leaves us at .500 for 2012.  The big question mark being LaRoche, if he returns to his normal average pre-injury we'll be on track to hit that 85 win mark, if he can't play we won't have a single big bat left in the outfield until Harper comes up in July and we'll struggle to match last year's win total.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Predictions and votes can be changed up until opening day, at which point the thread will be locked.

Offline KS000

• NATIONAL NEWS
I got them for 85 to 88 wins, but that might be wishful thinking.

Offline NatsFanSince2005

I have 85-90 win range, assuming we don't find a way to outright dominate Philly  :D

Offline jhuterp

88-74

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
i hope morsethehorse wins this pool.

Offline NatsandSkins

These are the Nats we're talking about. Ruling out a <85 win season is stupid.

Yeah but this team is a completely different one from last year and that's something that cannot be denied. We're on the up and up

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I really hate it when people predict a range. How wishy-washy is that? Choose a number, for godsakes.

That is all.

Offline Bloo

i hope morsethehorse wins this pool.

Hey! Don't you want the Nationals to win 112 games?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
As a fellow SSS member, I suggest that you stay positive.

I really hate it when people predict a range. How wishy-washy is that? Choose a number, for godsakes.'

That is all.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
I say 86 wins: LaRoche returns to hit, Harper plays at least after ASB and maybe from May 1, the pitching is solid both in starters and relievers. No long-term injury to Zimmerman, Morse, or Ramos. The Marlins have some injuries and crack. The Phillies begin to slide. Nats and Braves fight for the division.

Addition: after Desmond passes his error-limit, Lombo to 2B, Espinosa to SS, and Desmond to utility.

Offline houston-nat

Hey! Don't you want the Nationals to win 112 games?

I want Bloo to win this pool.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
The 2013 draft class is supposed to be deeper than 2012, the smart move would be to leave our weak offense intact, trade LaRoche if he's any good, trade Lannan, shut Stras down early, and look to continue to build through the draft.  Based on our success to date why change things around?

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
The 2013 draft class is supposed to be deeper than 2012, the smart move would be to leave our week offense intact, trade LaRoche if he's any good, trade Lannan, shut Stras down early, and look to continue to build through the draft.  Based on our success to date why change things around?

Argh.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
Wow.  Bravo, Chief.  85 wins is a tough over/under.  At the end of the day, though, I think they'll pitch better and hit as bad or worse, leading to a minor improvement and fringe contention that somehow leaves everybody a little disappointed.

Wins: 83
Losses: 79   
NL East Standing: 3rd (Philly, Atlanta)
HR Leader and #: Morse 27
RBI Leader and #: Z-man 90
Runs Leader and #: Desmond 75
Average Leader and #: Morse .301
SB Leader and #: Desmond 37 (with about 21 CS's)

Wins Leader and #: Gonzalez 15
Saves Leader and #: Storen 53 (we win a LOT of games by 1 and 2 runs)

Team MVP: Morse   
Post-season Awards: Zman (GG, SS), Gio (5th-Cy Young), Storen (Rolaids Relief Man), Harper (ROY-3)
Team All-Star(s): Gio, Zman, Stras, Storen

Is Davey managing at the end of the season?: Yes
When will Harper debut? Sunday Night, May 6, Phillies, ESPN
Does Teddy finally win a race? Yes, after Harper and Werth intervene in May
What are Werth's season ending stats (BA/OBP/SLG/HR/R/RBI/SB) (.255/.352/.447/20/67/70/16)
Bonus Prediction: 
1.  Harper gets called up in early May after an offensive slump and doesn't help much to the ASB.  After the ASB, he OPS'es 950 in August and makes a late charge at ROY;
2. The Nats score under 600 runs and lead the league in K%;
3. They allow under 550 runs and leave people wondering what would have happened had they paid Fielder's crazy price.
4. Rendon is up in September as a 2b.

Offline GSW

The 2013 draft class is supposed to be deeper than 2012, the smart move would be to leave our weak offense intact, trade LaRoche if he's any good, trade Lannan, shut Stras down early, and look to continue to build through the draft.  Based on our success to date why change things around?

Why not just stay home and say "WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR" :bag:
IF YOU DON'T PLAY TO WIN .... THEN WHY PLAY

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Why not just stay home and say "WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR" :bag:
IF YOU DON'T PLAY TO WIN .... THEN WHY PLAY

GSW, you are a bit of a newb here so can be forgiven, but PB69 had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek on that one.  He is very good at disguising his core point, you have to dig for it sometimes.

Offline DPMOmaha

...Michael Morse will participate in the home run derby.

Added this to my prediction.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
GSW, you are a bit of a newb here so can be forgiven, but PB69 had his tongue planted firmly in his cheek on that one.  He is very good at disguising his core point, you have to dig for it sometimes.

Speaking of which, would it be fair to state that the general consensus around here is that the Zimmm extension is worth somewhere between three to five  additional wins?

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Huge addition, pushes us into the playoffs fo show.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Huge addition, pushes us into the playoffs fo show.

:crackup:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Speaking of which, would it be fair to state that the general consensus around here is that the Zimmm extension is worth somewhere between three to five  additional wins?

As measured by tempering of fanboi angst, at least.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

kind of depends on Rendon doesn't it?  If he lives up to the hype, it probably is a wash for the 6 years between Zimm and Rendon (and maybe even slightly worse having Zimm).

Online HalfSmokes

If rendon is the real deal he can be traded or shifted to 2b or first