Author Topic: Orioles Players BOOED at Verizon Center  (Read 6432 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: Orioles Players BOOED at Verizon Center
« Reply #75: February 13, 2007, 08:07:42 PM »

Cal Ripken is no Dimaggio....

Whether or not he's compared to Dimaggio, I'm not trying to make a comparison.  My point is he's a Hall of Famer who deserves Respect.  Of Course he's an Orioles Hall of Famer, that's the only team he played for which should be admired, just like Tony Gwynn is a Padres Hall of Famer because that's the team's cap he'll wear on his plaque.  You can't blame an entire team's players for the stupid things their owners do!  Many Oriole fans don't like Angelos either!  What can you do?  Unless an Orioles fan comes up with enough Millions to buy him out!  

By the way, Cal may soon be the primary owner of the Harrisburg Senators, a NATS farm club!  :doh: You go ahead and boo him anyway!   :P

Offline Dave B

« Reply #76: February 13, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
Cal Ripken does not deserve respect for being a hall of famer.  He was a good baseball player.  Thats it.  I think he was there as an Orioles promotional stunt and I resent it. 

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #77: February 13, 2007, 08:55:33 PM »
man, that photo gives me the willies...right up there with the 'mug shot HOF,' e.g. Noelle Bush and Nick Nolte...

Must beg to differ on the Cal business, but happy to let it go at that. 

Speaking of booing, I suspect lots of season ticket groups are divvying out games this month, and lots of people are trying to approach the opening day dilemma...given the high probability of some wanker or another from high office (elected or otherwise) taking the mound for the ceremonial first pitch, what's the right response?  I thought booing Cal was poor form, but I was personally quite happy to see Lord Vader booed off the field on opening day last year...so I'm admittedly carrying a bit of a double standard here.   

'To boo, or not to boo...that is the question'

Cal Ripken does not deserve respect for being a hall of famer.  He was a good baseball player.  Thats it.  I think he was there as an Orioles promotional stunt and I resent it. 

« Reply #78: February 13, 2007, 10:09:33 PM »
Cal Ripken does not deserve respect for being a hall of famer. 

I am sad to see that your hatred of the O's clouds your view of Cal but come on.  I think your stretching saying he is unworthy of respect for being a hall of famer. Its not like every MLB player gets that honor and I am not going to swallow someone saying playing that many games consecutively isn't a big deal because it is and not only that but he completely paved the way for Derek Jeter and his like and what we see the position of SS as these days.

Is there a reason other than him being an O?  Do you think Jim Palmer and Jackie Robinson should be equally disrespected?  You must of hated that wolf in sheep's clothing (or bird in Nats uniform) Frank Robinson

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #79: February 13, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
  I thought booing Cal was poor form, but I was personally quite happy to see Lord Vader booed off the field on opening day last year...so I'm admittedly carrying a bit of a double standard here.   

'To boo, or not to boo...that is the question'

I personally would not have booed CR.

As far as 'to boo, or not to boo...', I remember the booing last opening day and I bet a good number of the booers are the very ones that nag about how 'classless' it is to boo. There was a big schism among Redskins fans about that very thing last season. (For the record, the quotation above is a quote from Ali the Baseball Cat's post. I mention that just in case NOTLD was thinking about admonishing me for 'sharing wisdom' from Shakespearean tragedies. I've never even read Hamlet  :lol:)

Offline Dave B

« Reply #80: February 13, 2007, 11:00:39 PM »
If respect means standing and applauding at the mere sight of him, no he doesnt deserve respect.  If respect means saying "yeah he was a good guy and a good player", ok he gets my respect.  

This is not against Cal as a person, it is the fact that I dont want the Orioles to be forced on washington, which is how I see Cal at a Caps game.

I feel it was more an O's PR stunt than Cal happening by a Caps game and being shown on the jumbotron.

If I was at an Islanders game and he was shown, I wouldnt care.  He would just be attending a game for some reason.  Most likely he would never be at another game besides the Caps.

If Cal was eating at a restaurant I wouldnt boo him or say "I hate that mother-----" under my breath.   It is the fact that the Caps or whovever were saying "Hey there is a baseball team 40 miles up the road whose games you should go to in spite of the fact said team has blocked and severely hampered the hometown team whose games you could go to"

Maybe I went a little overboard saying I hate everything that is the Orioles.  I hate that I am forced to acknowledge their existence

Respect for Cal doesn't outweigh the resent I have for being force fed the Orioles (mainly because of the TV situation for the past two years).  Thats all I'm trying to say.

Jim Palmer = boo
Jackie Robinson played for the O's?  I would make an exception for him even if he had played for the orioles for his whole career. Cal has not achieved his status.  
If Frank was shown on the screen as an Oriole Legend and Hall of Famer and did not manage the Nats, I'd boo him.  He did manage the Nats and would be identified as such, so that example doesnt apply.

« Reply #81: February 13, 2007, 11:15:14 PM »
I'm sorry, I meant Brooks Robinson, not Jackie.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #82: February 14, 2007, 12:01:06 AM »
Anyone booing Cal is dead inside.     

If respect means standing and applauding at the mere sight of him, no he doesnt deserve respect.  If respect means saying "yeah he was a good guy and a good player", ok he gets my respect.  

This is not against Cal as a person, it is the fact that I dont want the Orioles to be forced on washington, which is how I see Cal at a Caps game.

I feel it was more an O's PR stunt than Cal happening by a Caps game and being shown on the jumbotron.

If I was at an Islanders game and he was shown, I wouldnt care.  He would just be attending a game for some reason.  Most likely he would never be at another game besides the Caps.

If Cal was eating at a restaurant I wouldnt boo him or say "I hate that mother-----" under my breath.   It is the fact that the Caps or whovever were saying "Hey there is a baseball team 40 miles up the road whose games you should go to in spite of the fact said team has blocked and severely hampered the hometown team whose games you could go to"

Maybe I went a little overboard saying I hate everything that is the Orioles.  I hate that I am forced to acknowledge their existence

Respect for Cal doesn't outweigh the resent I have for being force fed the Orioles (mainly because of the TV situation for the past two years).  Thats all I'm trying to say.

Jim Palmer = boo
Jackie Robinson played for the O's?  I would make an exception for him even if he had played for the orioles for his whole career. Cal has not achieved his status.  
If Frank was shown on the screen as an Oriole Legend and Hall of Famer and did not manage the Nats, I'd boo him.  He did manage the Nats and would be identified as such, so that example doesnt apply.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #83: February 14, 2007, 10:55:35 AM »
I'm sorry, I meant Brooks Robinson, not Jackie.

Yes, he gets booed

I actually am not a big booer. But I enjoy a good round.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #84: February 14, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »
Anyone booing Cal is dead inside.     

Holy cow  :shock: there were some dead people at a recent Caps game and it didn't even make the news!

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
« Reply #85: February 14, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »
This thread should have died long ago...

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
« Reply #86: February 14, 2007, 05:46:03 PM »

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #87: February 14, 2007, 10:20:17 PM »
I put this question on the regular MLB Msg board.  I asked whether anyone would boo a rival baseball player who attended a Hockey game.  I can't believe this thread has gone on this long.  I got 5 responses so far.  1 didn't even think it was valid of a thread.  One said he would Boo someone.  The other 3 said NO, they would not boo!  Geez.   :roll:

Offline Dave B

« Reply #88: February 14, 2007, 11:02:08 PM »
Obviously you think Cal is great so I dont consider you to have an objective view.  I guess we all have different views. I was never an O's fan so I dont give a rats ass about Cal being in the HOF.  All i see is the Caps saying "go to Orioles games" and I am not in favor of that.  As I said before, that outweighs whatever respect I have for him.  Apparently you guys are cool with the O's keeping the team out of here, keeping the nats off TV, and making money off the Nats?  I'm not and I'd rather our hometown hockey team not shill for them. Its not simply a case of a baseball player enjoying a hockey game

Ask your question about booing on a mets or yankees board.  You will get a higher percentage of boos

« Reply #89: February 15, 2007, 09:05:00 AM »

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #90: February 15, 2007, 10:17:57 AM »
Booing is an essential element of baseball:

Sometimes you just have to do it...

Somebody please tell Washington Capitals president Ted Leonsis that Mark Lerner is one of his fellow owners, and that Lerner is also part owner of the Washington Nationals, who are not the Balimore Orioles.  Keep the thread open until he learners it.