Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 205777 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

That seems like a not insignificant conflict of interest.

Offline nfotiu

Yeah, all over the place.   Both between the league and the teams, and the mlb owned RSNs vs other RSNs.  I don't see how they couldn't do it without dramatically changing the current model.   MLB has been much more forward thinking about streaming and how to monetize it, and has continually made a point of the league owning streaming rights.  I wonder if the plan is to pool all those rights nationally.   

Offline HalfSmokes

They’ll have to pry MASN from Angelos’ cold dead hand. If the mlb could pullit off, being able to offer a national streaming and/or cable package with every team in and out of area would be great, but I’m not sure other teams will want to pay the dodgers $8 dollars of mlb acquires sportsnetLa

Online machpost

Presumably protected under their antitrust exemption.

Offline HalfSmokes

Presumably protected under their antitrust exemption.

How does the anti trust exemption deal with Kansas being furious over what MLB is paying for say the d-Backs’ rights or the Nats being pissed that mlb network is airing Rockies games they have rights to and giving them disproportionate air time?

Offline Nick the Pig

They’ll have to pry MASN from Angelos’ cold dead hand.

Gotta agree there.

His Baltimoron inferiority complex runs deep, and he'll fight to the death against that.

Online machpost

How does the anti trust exemption deal with Kansas being furious over what MLB is paying for say the d-Backs’ rights or the Nats being pissed that mlb network is airing Rockies games they have rights to and giving them disproportionate air time?
I think it means that MLB can do whatever they want and the teams/other rights holders can pound sand.

Offline HalfSmokes

I think it means that MLB can do whatever they want and the teams/other rights holders can pound sand.

Execpt the teams collectively are the MLB so telling large portions of them to pound sand probably doesn’t work

Offline LoveAngelos

It's a recurring tale that when children take over a business built by their parents that the children end up ruining it.

In this case the good news for Balmorons is there is nothing to ruin

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
It's a recurring tale that when children take over a business built by their parents that the children end up ruining it.

In this case the good news for Balmorons is there is nothing to ruin

Hahahaha, that's a good one.

Offline nfotiu

And we thought MLB buying the Sports Nets was a conflict of interest...

Now comes a report that the Liberty Media (owner of the Braves) has joined the bidding and it is only them and MLB who are still interested. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/liberty-media-joins-bidding-for-regional-sports-networks-.html?&qsearchterm=LMCA

If there was ever doubt that there is a correction coming in local TV money, the complete lack of interest in these Fox Sportnets is pretty strong proof.

Offline HalfSmokes

And we thought MLB buying the Sports Nets was a conflict of interest...

Now comes a report that the Liberty Media (owner of the Braves) has joined the bidding and it is only them and MLB who are still interested. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/05/liberty-media-joins-bidding-for-regional-sports-networks-.html?&qsearchterm=LMCA

If there was ever doubt that there is a correction coming in local TV money, the complete lack of interest in these Fox Sportnets is pretty strong proof.

I thought they had to divest as part of the deal where Disney bought  Fox. I would love to see Liberty win and MLB decide not to renew streaming rights.

Offline nfotiu

I thought they had to divest as part of the deal where Disney bought  Fox
That's correct.  My comment was based on the almost complete lack of interest from any of the major media companies or really any other companies in bidding for them.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
This thread has been going on for seven years without a resolution.  Amazing.  Didn't think that was possible.

Offline Nick the Pig

This thread has been going on for seven years without a resolution.  Amazing.  Didn't think that was possible.

MASN was an abomination when it was created.  Only after Peter Angelos dies will it die.

Offline Traded For Mclain

MASN was an abomination when it was created.  Only after Peter Angelos dies will it die.

In that case this thread will out live Angelos.

Offline LoveAngelos

Only the good die young. Evil endures. He will outlive all of us

Offline Nick the Pig

In that case this thread will out live Angelos.

I vote to delete this thread then !

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Remember when people thought the Nats were gonna get money?

Offline Copecwby20

Remember when people thought the Nats were gonna get money?

Remember when people though Bryce was going to sign a contract? Any contract. 😂

Offline Nick the Pig

Honestly, MLB is waiting for Angelos to die.  Then they will negotiate MASN off his sons as a condition of them continuing to own the Orioles.

Offline Dave301

Who's in control of the Orioles? MLB wants answer as owner Peter Angelos ails

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-md-orioles-angelos-control-20190221-story.html

Offline NatsAllThe Way

I'll bet you guys an Alpine that this thread won't reach 100 pages before it's all resolved. 

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
I'll bet you guys an Alpine that this thread won't reach 100 pages before it's all resolved. 

maybe MASN will sign Harper and we'll be able to resolve two long-standing issues in one fell swoop.