Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 206383 times)

Offline HalfSmokes

Live sports is the the only thing keeping many people from dropping cable. The bubble might burst but it hasn't yet.

Tell that to the Dodgers. Even ESPN is starting to drop programming or to hold the line on content costs. For low ratings events, i.e. regular season baseball, it may have already burst http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/05/02/In-Depth/Media-rights.aspx?

Offline Monarch

As long as you aren't in the blackout area, MLB.tv is the way to go.

yeah, dropping cable means no nats games for me. I watch a ton of sports and while I can get a lot of them online its not enough to dump cable. 

Offline Mattionals

yeah, dropping cable means no nats games for me. I watch a ton of sports and while I can get a lot of them online its not enough to dump cable.

Look into VPN services that spoof your IP to avoid blackouts.

Offline BrandonK

• #LOLNats
Look into VPN services that spoof your IP to avoid blackouts.

I haven't tried, since I've only been watching Nats and the occasional west coast game, but didn't they put new location ID in this year?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
MLB is freaking done freaking around with Angelos.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I am going to get that framed.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-masn-orioles-20160609-story.html

Funny how the Sun article quotes the MASN lawyer arguing to break the contract by seeking an outside lawyer but doesn't quote MLBs response telling MASN to piss off.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Boycott Baltimore

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Boycott Baltimore

Always and forever.

[I've resided in the DC area for 39 years and, although I've passed through the town on trains and buses through the years, have never actually set foot in Baltimore]

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2024

(Image removed from quote.)
That is amazing. Where did you find that? All I can find is the MASN side in articles.

Offline Traded For Mclain

Always and forever.

[I've resided in the DC area for 39 years and, although I've passed through the town on trains and buses through the years, have never actually set foot in Baltimore]

You haven't missed much, Baltimore is a dump.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Wrote this up as a blog entry for TalkNats, but they already had a full slate of posts queued up for this weekend so I'm putting this here. Nothing huge, just an update based on the latest cross motions filed by MASN.
http://www.talknats.com/category/masn/

Lots of cross motions being filed between MASN, MLB, and the Nationals over the past few weeks. An already bitter fight between the Lerners and Angelos now has MASN repeatedly attacking MLB and Commissioner Manfred in new filings posted Friday night.

With MASN having won a reversal of Arb round 1 they are now fighting to get the venue changed for Arb 2, which would be a break from the terms of the original contract, and something that the judge has already declared is outside of his authority. With no valid legal arguments remaining that the judge has not already thrown out MASN has resorted to trashing MLB, then claiming bias when MLB responds.

MASN's latest motion of bias by MLB is based primarily on several comments made by Manfred that the Nationals will eventually be awarded the money as determined by Arb 1; plus the fact that the Nats filed a motion supporting the Arb 2 hearings in August just hours after MLB announced that schedule. MASN is shocked and appalled that MLB would collude with one of it's member clubs. Which is all of course a false front considering that the original panel gave the Nats much less than what they had requested and expressly stated that they would not bankrupt MASN, meaning that MLB was effectively colluding with Angelos up to the point where he sued them.

Arguing in support of MASN's motions is the Bortz group, which is the company that created the "Bortz method" for determining rights fees and profit margins as referenced in the original contract. Bortz argues that the Arb 1 panel made an error in their initial determination of fees based on the profit margin being set at 5% rather than 20% as recommended by their methodology. But as the Arb 1 panel determined, if the standard was to be set at 20% that would have been explicitly stated in the contract. An interesting note on the Bortz affidavit is that Bortz makes their money by helping teams maximize their broadcast rights profits, the Os are their client so this was paid testimony, but meanwhile MLB is also their client as listed on their web site. Another conflict of interest?

MASN makes the argument that the Arb 2 panel should not begin until all appeals are finished for Arb 1, that the Nats are trying to get "two bites" out of the apple, meaning that if the Nats get more money out of Arb 2 they will drop their appeal for Arb 1 and vice versa. MASN further argues that there is no expediency gained in starting Arb 2 until the Arb 1 appeal is complete because the judge will still need to rule on Arb 1 before any payments are made. Which is false timing, waiting for the resolution of the appeals before starting Arb 2 creates further delays while having Arb 2 done before the judge's ruling would be the faster path for the Nationals to receive their money.

MASN states that they will appeal the results of all decisions, meaning that there is no reason for anyone to expedite any process. MASN also objects to being given "only" six weeks to prepare for Arb 2, as though the case has somehow dramatically changed since Arb 1.

I'm really ready to hear from the judge on this, having read all of the motions from both sides it is hard to be sure which arguments hold weight. Based on Judge Mark's previous decision though it seems like the Nats are in a very good position to move forward with Arb 2 and have that ratified since they have complied with the single directive to hire new representation. This time around the judge needs to shut emphatically shut the door on all of these delays and appeals.

The stunning thing about this case is the level of anger in now public attacks between MLB and the Orioles. Manfred's hands are tied from taking any action while the case is in process, but once it is done it will be interesting to see if there is any punitive action taken against Angelos. Selig strongly warned both teams against going public with this dispute and the Os have called his bluff.

Offline dshawg77

You haven't missed much, Baltimore is a dump.

You should read some of what they say about the Nationals on the Orioles Hangout. Not nice. I never knew so much hate existed between the 2 cities. I am sure this MASN dispute hasn't helped. Angelos is a terrible owner.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
You should read some of what they say about the Nationals on the Orioles Hangout. Not nice. I never knew so much hate existed between the 2 cities. I am sure this MASN dispute hasn't helped. Angelos is a terrible owner.

They had to cancel the annual Colts vs Redskins preseason games based on too many fights, the rivalry pre-dates MASN by a very long time, however Angelos is doing his best to keep it going.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

- In 1954, my Dad taught me that "Baltimore is a bush-league town" that did not deserve to get the St Louis Browns. In kindergarten, we all practiced saying "bush league town".

- Baltimore fans were famous for waving white handerchiefs when an opposing pitcher was taken out. Baltimore called them "crying towels". More evidence of bush league behavior.

- In PG and Montgomery counties, some people shifted their TV antennas to pick up Colts games...just because the Johnny Unitas / Lennie Moore teams were NFL champions. We called those people "traitors"

- Angelos claimed ownership of Washington. No Washingtonians were asked...he simply planted his flag in The District. Like Spanish explorers claiming ownership of "newly discovered" lands in the Americas. (Mexico wasn't "found". Mexicans knew just where it was.)

- Angelos blocked baseball in DC for years. I read about Washingtonians signing petitions and demonstrating for baseball independence. (I think our CALSGR8) was one of them.)

- Move the Browns back to St Louis, which has enough baseball fanatics to support two teams!

http://www.lids.com/st-louis-browns-'47-mlb-'47-franchise-cap/20461729

Online Five Banners

"MASN is shocked and appalled that MLB would collude with one of its member clubs."

Of course, the inequitable MASN deal is the direct result of collusion by Angelos based on a faulty premise of existing rights, which he sold to Selig when the latter essentially owned the current local franchise.

Offline whytev

They had to cancel the annual Colts vs Redskins preseason games based on too many fights, the rivalry pre-dates MASN by a very long time, however Angelos is doing his best to keep it going.

When did the Colts move?

Offline dshawg77

When did the Colts move?

1983-4. January in the snow.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter

Might just have to get one of these hats for the Nats road trip to Baltimore.

Offline mitlen

Boycott Baltimore

Offline whytev

Ah no wonder I don't remember them being in Baltimore.

Offline mitlen

Ah no wonder I don't remember them being in Baltimore.

One of the classic games in NFL history was between the Baltimore Colts and the N.Y. Giants in the NFL Championship game of 1959.   Many think that game established the NFL on TV.

Offline whytev

One of the classic games in NFL history was between the Baltimore Colts and the N.Y. Giants in the NFL Championship game of 1959.   Many think that game established the NFL on TV.

I don't have any memories before Marino vs. Montana in the Super Bowl.