Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 205862 times)

Offline dracnal

Best interest of baseball means nothing while Angelos has a court ordered injunction in place. Manfred and the Nats can do nothing but wait. The appeal goes directly to the NY Supreme Court, so no more winding through the appeal process. Angelos has very limited grounds for appeal and he'll lose. But it will take a while because that court was very slow last time.

It won't be $100 million. MASN will be refunded profit sharing distributions based on revised numbers. MLB takes 30% of TV fees. Still, about fifty million isn't nothing.

The big question is the new reset number starting in 2017. If the 2012 fees started at $59 million could they be $80+ now?

The real question is, will MASN be solvent given the clause that the Os get the same increase the Nats do.

Offline HalfSmokes

The NY Supreme Court is a trial court below their appeals court

Offline dracnal

The NY Supreme Court is a trial court below their appeals court

Er, weird? I kinda thought the word 'Supreme' usually had a specific meaning...

Online Natsinpwc

Offline Nick the Pig

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-panel-cuts-value-nats-tv-rights-dispute-185417804--mlb.html

MASN is done.  It's only a question of how long the Angelos family can keep postponing the matter in litigation.

Offline nfotiu

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb-panel-cuts-value-nats-tv-rights-dispute-185417804--mlb.html

MASN is done.  It's only a question of how long the Angelos family can keep postponing the matter in litigation.

MASN's revenues are probably in the neighborhood of 180-200 million per year for now.   There is no reason they can't pay those rights fees to both teams.   Cord cutting is going to hit them hard though pretty quickly.

Offline NJ Ave

When you take a step back, it is so on-brand for Angelos to spend all his energy milking every last penny out of a crappy MASN product, rather than actually making the product better and simply sharing the revenues more equally.

Offline nfotiu

When you take a step back, it is so on-brand for Angelos to spend all his energy milking every last penny out of a crappy MASN product, rather than actually making the product better and simply sharing the revenues more equally.
What's the incentive to make the product any better?   Revenue is almost entirely carriage fees, so it doesn't matter if anyone is watching or not.   Also, the best way to improve ratings is to have the 2 baseball teams win more!

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Its funny how this thread was started in 2012, and now that the Nats' window is closing, they might actually get some of the money they needed five years ago.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Its funny how this thread was started in 2012, and now that the Nats' window is closing, they might actually get some of the money they needed five years ago.

They currently have the 5th highest payroll in baseball. More MASN money wouldn’t have pushed that any higher.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
They currently have the 5th highest payroll in baseball. More MASN money wouldn’t have pushed that any higher.
Except it would have allowed them to do less deferred money. Bryce Harper is likely still here if the Lerners werent' married to the idea of deferred money.

Now, maybe that's more the Lerners than the MASN money, but in the end, the Nationals have had to be more creative with contracts than their major market counterparts.

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Except it would have allowed them to do less deferred money. Bryce Harper is likely still here if the Lerners werent' married to the idea of deferred money.

None of us will never know the answer to that one. ;)

Online 1995hoo

New York's highest court is the Court of Appeals. Maryland is the same way in terms of nomenclature, but in Maryland the trial courts aren't called "Supreme Court." New York is unique in that respect. New York and Maryland are the only states to call their highest courts the "Court of Appeals," although West Virginia's highest court is the "Supreme Court of Appeals," a name that comes from the former name of Virginia's highest court.

Offline dracnal

New York's highest court is the Court of Appeals. Maryland is the same way in terms of nomenclature, but in Maryland the trial courts aren't called "Supreme Court." New York is unique in that respect. New York and Maryland are the only states to call their highest courts the "Court of Appeals," although West Virginia's highest court is the "Supreme Court of Appeals," a name that comes from the former name of Virginia's highest court.

Neat - thanks for the great answer.

Online Count Walewski

Kentucky spent the 1820's with two rival courts each claiming to be the supreme court

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Court_%E2%80%93_New_Court_controversy

Offline Duke of Earl

Slightly off-topic but this IS the MASN thread ....
Is MASN carrying Saturday night's game?  Bob or PF  (don't remember which) said they would be sitting out two games.  I know Sunday is Nationally televised.  But what about Saturday?

Offline machpost

Slightly off-topic but this IS the MASN thread ....
Is MASN carrying Saturday night's game?  Bob or PF  (don't remember which) said they would be sitting out two games.  I know Sunday is Nationally televised.  But what about Saturday?
Saturday night's game is on Fox; Sunday it's ESPN.

Offline Duke of Earl

Saturday night's game is on Fox; Sunday it's ESPN.
Thanks.   (Not looking forward to listening to those Fox idiots.  They make you appreciate Bob and FP.)

Offline nfotiu

Coverage map and announcer teams for Saturday:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
looks like I have to drive to South Boston to watch the Sox.

Offline nfotiu

looks like I have to drive to South Boston to watch the Sox.
Or Raleigh.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
Or Raleigh.

South Boston will be an hour closer for him...

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
Coverage map and announcer teams for Saturday:
(Image removed from quote.)

I don't understand the logic behind this map. What's up with Raleigh and Philadelphia?

Online Natsinpwc

Thanks.   (Not looking forward to listening to those Fox idiots.  They make you appreciate Bob and FP.)
Girardi does a great job.

Offline Duke of Earl

Girardi does a great job.
Yeah I like him, there are a couple of those Fox guys who are insufferable, but I don't know their names.