Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203541 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
https://thefandc.radio.com/articles/news/report-orioles-pitch-settlement-masn-dispute-nats

Look who wants to settle
I'm sure that the Orioles offer was pennies on the dollar compared to the contact adjustments.

Offline HalfSmokes

Which itself said nothing new

Offline HalfSmokes

I'm sure that the Orioles offer was pennies on the dollar compared to the contact adjustments.

Masn literally can not afford what the contract calls for

Offline Traded For Mclain

No reason for the Nats to settle quickly now.  Peter Angelos will be going to hell soon, when he does the MASN mess complicates either the sale or transfer of the blO's.  Nats and MLB have all the leverage now IMO.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Manfred confirmed what the Baltimore Sun reported, the MASN dispute is going back to the MLB arbitration. This is what Angelos was fighting against.

"At the end of the litigation that took place in the New York courts, the most important thing that was determined was that the original agreement of the parties must be upheld and the most important aspect of that is that the Revenue Sharing Definitions Committee is the body that the parties agreed would settle this dispute,” baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said.

Offline aBaltoNat

Manfred confirmed what the Baltimore Sun reported, the MASN dispute is going back to the MLB arbitration. This is what Angelos was fighting against.

So, good for us?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
So, good for us?

Probably, it's what the Lerner's wanted and what Angelos was fighting against, so it seems like a win. Thing is that the previous MLB panel set a fee level that kept MASN solvent, so while the end might be in sight the result is unlikely to be true fair market value.

Offline nats2playoffs

Virtually no chance that the Os leave Baltimore, but the MASN deal does give them good reason, if the Os leave Angelos still owns most of the TV rights for DC and Baltimore along with whatever new area they pick up. He owns the only franchise in pro sports that would retain their old market if they move, a two for none deal...

Here's the problem: this was NEVER their market at any period of time under MLB's rules and bylaws. The Orioles' existence was granted by an existing MLB team -- the Senators in the same league, who did get a ONE-TIME fee for not acting to gum up the works but did not have to cede some media rights that MLB had granted it. Thus, when the Senators left in 1971, the Orioles didn't automatically take over rights as have an open ticket to market to the large market to its southwest for as long as it could...

Here's the clincher: The Baltimore Orioles defined marketing area according to MLB bylaws includes Baltimore City and County and the counties touching Baltimore County. That's it. The Baltimore Orioles' cable broadcast area before MLB‘s return to its defined media market in metropolitan Washington had extended from the Pennsylvania border to North Carolina, and from Delaware to West Virginia; however, that broadcasting privilege was not and did not equate to a defined and exclusive broadcasting right for the Baltimore Orioles. During the 18 years of overlap of the Orioles and Senators, the latter's defined market included Montgomery County, Prince Georges County, the District, and Northern Virginia. Nothing transferred that northward, nor was there any precedent for considering it to be officially ceded just because the Senators were gone. Each previous Orioles ownership group before Angelos acting accordingly, stating that the only stipulation they would ask MLB to prioritize was to put a returned team in the NL.

What did that was an owner-turned-commish that ran from any sort of litigation (don't forget how long it took to get a team to move in large because of that) became caretaker of the Nats and of their sale. What that let Angelos do was try to bluff his way into being owed "rights", even though an internal MLB study from the early 2000s confirmed he was owed nothing. Selig didn't care, made a bad deal that any prospective owner had to sign on to in order to get the Nats, and that was that. And now MLB sits around and lets the team not be paid its monies for years on end. Pathetic.

I don't see how it is legally possible for Angelos to move the Orioles and continue to control broadcast rights in Baltimore, DC or anywhere nearby. Why wouldn't the Minnesota Twins and the Texas Rangers continue to own broadcast rights in the DC area, after each of them moved a Senators team? The Rangers could have potentially broadcast their games in the DC area, (even though it would not induce anyone to attend games in Texas.)

When the Senators moved in 1971, cable TV was not a significant factor in watching baseball. Most teams did not have cable TV contracts until the 1980s or 1990s. People watched games based on the strength of antennas.

Offline HalfSmokes

I don't see how it is legally possible for Angelos to move the Orioles and continue to control broadcast rights in Baltimore, DC or anywhere nearby. Why wouldn't the Minnesota Twins and the Texas Rangers continue to own broadcast rights in the DC area, after each of them moved a Senators team? The Rangers could have potentially broadcast their games in the DC area, (even though it would not induce anyone to attend games in Texas.)

When the Senators moved in 1971, cable TV was not a significant factor in watching baseball. Most teams did not have cable TV contracts until the 1980s or 1990s. People watched games based on the strength of antennas.

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

He won’t own the dc market’s rights, however he will own the nationals rights. I think a move would likely require him to relinquish those rights as a condition, some of the reporting speculated that mlb approval of new ownership after he dies may also have that as a stipulation

Offline LoveAngelos

Absent Washington, Baltimore probably isn’t a big enough market

Not true. Angelos said there are no baseball fans in Washington. Just call them the Chapter 11 Birds  :evil: :hysterical:

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
For the sake of everyone in that beleaguered town, I hope the Os outlast their horrible owner. I'll never be a fan, but I don't wish the worst on anyone. (Well, except Snyder and Angelos.)

Offline LoveAngelos

For the sake of everyone in that beleaguered town, I hope the Os outlast their horrible owner. I'll never be a fan, but I don't wish the worst on anyone. (Well, except Snyder and Angelos.)

The problem   dem Bird fans (who do wish the worst on the Nationals) have is that Angelos spawned two sons who are equally skilled in running a baseball team as their toad like looking father

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
That is a problem for them.

Fortunately, Os fans aren't a real problem for us. Except when they infest Nats Park.

The problem   dem Bird fans (who do wish the worst on the Nationals) have is that Angelos spawned two sons who are equally skilled in running a baseball team as their toad like looking father

Offline LoveAngelos

Yeah and 80% of them are DC area residents.....    wait there are no baseball fans in Washington

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Yeah and 80% of them are DC area residents.....    wait there are no baseball fans in Washington

They are the lost generation, can't count how many times I've heard the "they're the team I grew up with" excuse.  No matter, we skip them and now, in our 14th season the kids of 2005 are now the ticket buying adults of 2018 and who would wonder why anyone would go to Baltimore for a game or consider rooting for dem "O's.   

Offline hotshot

If the O's were to ever leave Bmore (doubtful), the Nats would only gain marginally in attendance. Unlike the MANY DC area fans who flocked to the O's in the absence of baseball in DC, there is a visceral, longstanding hatred of all things Washington in Baltimore.

You could probably count the Bmore football fans who "adopted" the Redskins during their football "drought" on two hands. They became Steeler fans before Redskins fans which, given the current rivalry with Steeltown, tells you a lot.

Offline rileyn

Ease of getting to the ballpark for Marylanders is the biggest pro the Orioles have going for them.  Howard, Anne Arundel, and even Frederick County.  Montgomery County is shifting quickly to Nationals territory. 

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
If the O's were to ever leave Bmore (doubtful), the Nats would only gain marginally in attendance. Unlike the MANY DC area fans who flocked to the O's in the absence of baseball in DC, there is a visceral, longstanding hatred of all things Washington in Baltimore.

You could probably count the Bmore football fans who "adopted" the Redskins during their football "drought" on two hands. They became Steeler fans before Redskins fans which, given the current rivalry with Steeltown, tells you a lot.

Seemed like a lot of Baltimore Caps fans.

Offline HalfSmokes

Ease of getting to the ballpark for Marylanders is the biggest pro the Orioles have going for them.  Howard, Anne Arundel, and even Frederick County.  Montgomery County is shifting quickly to Nationals territory. 

Northern Maryland probably doesn’t have the population to support a team on its own- even if the nats never get a single fan in those counties, it’s still probably the lowest population for a major league team

Offline Five Banners

In some neighborhoods where all things Baltimore was a big deal, sure for some, but hardly in the entire area. This is the market that wasn't even selling out World Series games (per sports writer Tom Friend, who had a great article or two on deflating the latter-day Baltimore fandom bluster), so it's the diehards you describe who were not in abundant supply. Plus, as the Skins had an actual waiting list and sellout streak, you were never going to get definable numbers of switcheroos in terms of ticket measurable like you could attempt to do with Birdland.

Offline LoveAngelos

They are the lost generation, can't count how many times I've heard the "they're the team I grew up with" excuse.  No matter, we skip them and now, in our 14th season the kids of 2005 are now the ticket buying adults of 2018 and who would wonder why anyone would go to Baltimore for a game or consider rooting for dem "O's.

Lost Generation is the best way to describe them. They cheer arm in arm against the Nats with the same people who spit all over other Washington sports....save the Capitals but those are not real Balmorons just suburban bedroom dwellers

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Can we delete this thread? It is the Verdun of sports legal battles. At this point the fight is simply not to lose.

Offline Five Banners

Can we delete this thread? It is the Verdun of sports legal battles. At this point the fight is simply not to lose.

It's as legitimate a thing to discuss and archive as anything on this site, no matter the seeming interminability of it. In that respect, it's like the history of baseball's return to this area, for which I'm glad to have a record from various sources.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
It's as legitimate a thing to discuss and archive as anything on this site, no matter the seeming interminability of it. In that respect, it's like the history of baseball's return to this area, for which I'm glad to have a record from various sources.

This thread has zero chance of being deleted, Smithian was just venting a bit (mindfact).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile

Lost Generation is the best way to describe them. They cheer arm in arm against the Nats with the same people who spit all over other Washington sports....save the Capitals but those are not real Balmorons just suburban bedroom dwellers

...just like the lost generation of people born in this area the late 1980's/1990's who are too young to remember Super Bowl XXVI (or winning Redskins teams generally) and who have now grown up with our local NFL side making the playoffs only five times in the last 25 seasons and never advancing past the divisional playoff round in that span...so many of these twentysomethings/early-thirtysomethings have tuned out (among them my 25-year-old niece, who still works and resides in this area but attended graduate school at a Pennsylvania university and is now an Eagles supporter).

Keep pitching mediocre/bad teams at people and they will often seek alternatives.