Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203526 times)

Online HalfSmokes

They have to get waivers from the mlb to allow it.  MLB maintains ownership of it and I suspect they will exercise those rights at some point to monetize it.

hopefully. It's absurd that 22 teams are available to stream locally and 8 just arent

Offline Natsinpwc

hopefully. It's absurd that 22 teams are available to stream locally and 8 just arent
Not sure about the others but MASN is a total joke. They don't care about increasing their viewership.

Offline machpost

Eight? I thought it was just the Nationals, Orioles and Dodgers who were refusing to and/or incapable of making in market streaming happen.

Online nfotiu

Eight? I thought it was just the Nationals, Orioles and Dodgers who were refusing to and/or incapable of making in market streaming happen.
That's what I've heard too.

On the other hand, in market streaming is basically useless for cord cutters anyway since it requires having a cable login.  Although I suppose a lot of people can borrow that from someone.

Practically speaking for cord cutters, it would be nice if MASN was on the OTT streaming services like Directv Now, Sling, etc.   MASN and the Dodgers are also about the only channels that aren't on those services as well.

Online HalfSmokes

I have bad news for fans of eight teams. None of the services carry games for the Baltimore Orioles, Colorado Rockies, Houston Astros, Los Angeles Dodgers, Pittsburgh Pirates, Seattle Mariners, Toronto Blue Jays and Washington Nationals.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-baseball-games-for-the-2018-mlb-season/

The Astros tv rights are more of a dumpster fire than the nats, the blue jays are owned by a cable company. Rockies, Pirates, Mariners seem odd though

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Looks like a Root Sports problem.  Seattle, Colorado, Pissburgh, and Houston are all Root Sports for different markets.

Online nfotiu

Looks like a Root Sports problem.  Seattle, Colorado, Pissburgh, and Houston are all Root Sports for different markets.
I think they've come to an agreement

https://www.forbes.com/sites/maurybrown/2017/05/08/in-market-streaming-of-mariners-astros-pirates-and-rockies-games-arrives-via-root-sports/#6988ea317a51

And Blue Jays allow some kinds of streaming in Canada.   I think it is just the 3.

Offline Five Banners

It does seem logical that Angelos received some compensation for a team moving into their market, so I don't really get the outrage over the original agreement.  That seems like the norm for all sports leagues.

Here's the problem: this was NEVER their market at any period of time under MLB's rules and bylaws. The Orioles' existence was granted by an existing MLB team -- the Senators in the same league, who did get a ONE-TIME fee for not acting to gum up the works but did not have to cede some media rights that MLB had granted it. Thus, when the Senators left in 1971, the Orioles didn't automatically take over rights as have an open ticket to market to the large market to its southwest for as long as it could.

All of that was gravy they should have contended themselves with, especially when the DC/VA/MD grew by leaps and bounds in both population and average income, outstripping the Baltimore area in both. That an MLB team didn't come back to the national capital area for 33 years is all the more reason the Orioles should have been content with years without competition, plus the fact that the team that came went into the NL, meaning the Yanks, Sox, and other AL draws stayed largely exclusive to them other than some sporadic interleague play.

Here's the clincher: The Baltimore Orioles defined marketing area according to MLB bylaws includes Baltimore City and County and the counties touching Baltimore County. That's it. The Baltimore Orioles' cable broadcast area before MLB‘s return to its defined media market in metropolitan Washington had extended from the Pennsylvania border to North Carolina, and from Delaware to West Virginia; however, that broadcasting privilege was not and did not equate to a defined and exclusive broadcasting right for the Baltimore Orioles. During the 18 years of overlap of the Orioles and Senators, the latter's defined market included Montgomery County, Prince Georges County, the District, and Northern Virginia. Nothing transferred that northward, nor was there any precedent for considering it to be officially ceded just because the Senators were gone. Each previous Orioles ownership group before Angelos acting accordingly, stating that the only stipulation they would ask MLB to prioritize was to put a returned team in the NL.

What did that was an owner-turned-commish that ran from any sort of litigation (don't forget how long it took to get a team to move in large because of that) became caretaker of the Nats and of their sale. What that let Angelos do was try to bluff his way into being owed "rights", even though an internal MLB study from the early 2000s confirmed he was owed nothing. Selig didn't care, made a bad deal that any prospective owner had to sign on to in order to get the Nats, and that was that. And now MLB sits around and lets the team not be paid its monies for years on end. Pathetic.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Is there an MLB panel convening in November? Does that mean that MASN lost their appeal? Are the Os for sale and looking to make a settlement because MLB can block a deal?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-md-orioles-nationals-masn-20180628-story.html

Offline Five Banners

Is there an MLB panel convening in November? Does that mean that MASN lost their appeal? Are the Os for sale and looking to make a settlement because MLB can block a deal?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-md-orioles-nationals-masn-20180628-story.html

From the linked story: "The Orioles ceded their territorial rights to allow the Expos to come to Washington, and MLB publicly lauded the deal as good for both teams."

See above; the territorial rights canard and the bit about MLB's playing both sides of the fence with a team in their control remain relevant.

Offline Five Banners

Also from the article: "The team long commanded a television territory that stretched from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. With the arrival of the Nationals, they now share the market."

Again, see above to glimpse reality rather than the tailored and evidently misleading view from Birdland and its water carriers. The Senators commandeered a large media market for the first part of the 20th century, and allowed the Orioles to exist and broadcast in what had been non-competitive soil throughout Baltimore and much of Maryland. It was an encroachment of opportunity that had the O's creep into broadcasting position in the D.C. area and southwards, one that didn't guarantee them anything in future, at least according to MLB's bylaws.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
FP and Kolko are getting to be tiresome with their always positive act. I like the local announcers to be homers but at some point you have to quit trying so hard to shine this crap stain.

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator
FP and Kolko are getting to be tiresome with their always positive act. I like the local announcers to be homers but at some point you have to quit trying so hard to shine this crap stain.

Well someone has to counter the negativity here... ;)

I know it may come as a shock to WNFF, but the average fan doesn’t want announcers that constantly crap on the team.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Well someone has to counter the negativity here... ;)

I know it may come as a shock to WNFF, but the average fan doesn’t want announcers that constantly crap on the team.

true, but I'd like to see at least a little emotion from them.  Last night after the Red Sox had scored 9 runs they were laughing it up and talking about building a Jayson Werth statue in the OF concourse.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
true, but I'd like to see at least a little emotion from them.  Last night after the Red Sox had scored 9 runs they were laughing it up and talking about building a Jayson Werth statue in the OF concourse.

Yeah, homers are expected for the local broadcast, but Kolko and FP are straight cheerleaders.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I don't want them to crap on the team but I would like to hear honest assessments.    FP and his "We're gonna break out of this" is not what he is paid to do, at least I hope not.    Hell, anyone of us can "blow smoke". 

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
I don't want them to crap on the team but I would like to hear honest assessments.   

Offline bluestreak

• Global Moderator

It seems appropriate, since they had a Jayson Werth statue in the actual outfield for the past three years.

Offline nats4ever

Then stop watching them.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
It seems appropriate, since they had a Jayson Werth statue in the actual outfield for the past three years.

:crackup:

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
I don't want them to crap on the team but I would like to hear honest assessments.

Like we get with Uncle Ray who is also a MASN employee.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Like we get with Uncle Ray who is also a MASN employee.

Zactly.    Uncle Ray gives us honest assessments.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Also from the article: "The team long commanded a television territory that stretched from Pennsylvania to North Carolina. With the arrival of the Nationals, they now share the market."

Again, see above to glimpse reality rather than the tailored and evidently misleading view from Birdland and its water carriers. The Senators commandeered a large media market for the first part of the 20th century, and allowed the Orioles to exist and broadcast in what had been non-competitive soil throughout Baltimore and much of Maryland. It was an encroachment of opportunity that had the O's creep into broadcasting position in the D.C. area and southwards, one that didn't guarantee them anything in future, at least according to MLB's bylaws.

Yes. Again and again. I remember, just barely, when the Browns were in St Louis. The Griffith Nationals/Senators allowed them to move to Baltimore, which had the Baltimore Orioles as a minor league team. My dad and granddad taught me about "bush-league Baltimore Oriole fans", which came from their behavior and probably from Baltimore having been a minor league town after the original AL Orioles  moved to NY to become the Highlanders / Yankees.

Jerry Hoffberger, owner of the new Orioles, might have had some agreement to sponsor Nats games on TV: Washington's sponsor, Heurich's Old Georgetown Beer, closed about 1955 and National Bohemian replaced them. While a few Maryland families turned their roof-top antennas to watch Baltimore Colt games, starting about 1960, I never met anyone who turned toward Baltimore.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter