Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 95757 times)

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
I think it shows enough that most of the "player burns" in Free Agency in the past few years were more due to players wanting to play in a certain place, and money wasn't the issue. From what I can think of, the only contract I see the Nats being burned on about money was Heyward, and that was a great deal the Nats didn't make. Zobrist wanted to play for Maddon again. O'Day, Cespedes, and Jansen all wanted to go back to their respective teams. The Nats still got Scherzer, Strasburg extended, and even Wieters without the MASN money. Certain players won't like the deferrals, but when the numbers are that high, it doesn't seem to matter much to some. For guys who take the deferred money, they essentially have a really nice insurance policy if they never own up to their contract.

I've never seen the deferred money as being directly related to the MASN dispute, my thought is that it's an accounting trick that saves the team money and gives the player a bigger total number. I doubt if the deferred contracts will end after the MASN case has been decided.