Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203552 times)

Offline DPMOmaha

If this thing goes in the Nats favor, or mostly in the Nats favor, or maybe even just partially in the Nats favor, is that expected to be the death knell for MASN?

Offline HalfSmokes

Depends on if Angelos wants it to be- he can have masn renegotiate the matching provision with the Os.

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
NY Appellate Court rules Nationals rights fees should be determined by MLB's RSDC, not in outside arbitration, as Orioles had hoped.

That's a win for Nationals. RSDC originally ruled Nats should get nearly $300 mil in TV rights from 2013-16.

So the Nats and O's will now have old rights fees ('12-'16) and new ('17-'21) handled by MLB RSDC, composed of three owners/execs.

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/07/13/nationals-get-huge-legal-victory-in-tv-rights-dispute-with-orioles/

BOOM

Offline Natsinpwc

Good news.

And Angelos sucks.

Offline monkeyhit

Good, now spend!

Offline Dave301

Looks like the O's can still appeal to the New York Court of Appeals, which is the highest appellate court, because the vote was 3-2.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/07/13/ruling-in-masn-dispute-with-orioles-goes-the-nationals-way/?utm_term=.7f46c72cf953

Offline Natsinpwc

Looks like the O's can still appeal to the New York Court of Appeals, which is the highest appellate court, because the vote was 3-2.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nationals-journal/wp/2017/07/13/ruling-in-masn-dispute-with-orioles-goes-the-nationals-way/?utm_term=.7f46c72cf953
The only ones benefiting are the lawyers.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
If this thing goes in the Nats favor, or mostly in the Nats favor, or maybe even just partially in the Nats favor, is that expected to be the death knell for MASN?

They missed their chance with the RSN bubble. 

Offline DPMOmaha

They missed their chance with the RSN bubble. 
That wasn't the question.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
That wasn't the question.

It might kill MASN but this is going to continue to get dragged out so even if it does it'll take a long while.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
It might kill MASN but this is going to continue to get dragged out so even if it does it'll take a long while.

And our boys aren't getting their own RSN at this point.

Baseball is a dying sport.

Offline HalfSmokes

correct me if I'm wrong, but if MASN dies, I though their share of the Nats rights would be auctioned in Bankruptcy not revert to the Nats

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
correct me if I'm wrong, but if MASN dies, I though their share of the Nats rights would be auctioned in Bankruptcy not revert to the Nats

That's my understanding as well.  The problem will be determining what those rights are worth by the time that happens in 2031. 

Offline aspenbubba

And WTF happens if MASN goes off the air or bankrupt? I just want to see Nats baseball for 6 months.

Offline HalfSmokes

someone will air the games- they're too valuable not to air, we'll just go though the price readjust fights with Comcast instead of angelos, then again, maybe lerner will buy the rights- an RSN not affiliated with an owner would be slightly insane to buy rights whose get determined by three of the owner's buddies every few years

Offline Mattionals

How many customers get alienated if the Nats go internet only? I know many, including myself, have ditched cable altogether.

Offline DPMOmaha

How many customers get alienated if the Nats go internet only? I know many, including myself, have ditched cable altogether.
Short term, probably a bunch. Long term, it'd be a rather progressive move, I think.

Offline nfotiu

And they don't mind alienated us, since they are about the only team that doesn't provide a non-cable/dish option.

Offline nfotiu

And our boys aren't getting their own RSN at this point.

Baseball is a dying sport.

Baseball is doing pretty well.   RSNs are a dying business is the much bigger problem.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.

As long as I don't have to buy a new phone.     :old:

Offline DPMOmaha

Interesting to compare the Post story with the Baltimore Sun's.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-masn-appeal-20170713-story.html

Offline hotshot

Dang, does this legal battle have any end? Appeal after appeal, year after year, and still no resolution!! What a system.

Offline awbb

Dang, does this legal battle have any end? Appeal after appeal, year after year, and still no resolution!! What a system.

It's designed by lawyers for lawyers.

Offline Ray D

If that's the only result of all this, it's good enough for me.