Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 206130 times)

Offline In the Dark

To me, Bob and FP don't sound any better or worse than any other announcers I've heard. They just sound like two dudes watching a game and making ordinary comments. I tend to tune them out while watching the game.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
To me, Bob and FP don't sound any better or worse than any other announcers I've heard. They just sound like two dudes watching a game and making ordinary comments. I tend to tune them out while watching the game.

FP has a habit of making it seem like he's MLB royalty we're all dumbasses...it's old, and frankly, it pisses me off...

..and his silly stories are getting pretty old too...

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
FP has a habit of making it seem like he's MLB royalty we're all dumbasses...it's old, and frankly, it pisses me off...

Did ya hear the one about the binoculars?      :)

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
Did ya hear the one about the binoculars?      :)

I forget...

Offline In the Dark

Ha! Maybe that's why I tune them out! Wish I could get Charlie and Dave down here in Virginia Beach, but at least I have MASN.

Offline RiotAct

Plus he's a 45-year-old 'bro'.

Offline mitlen

Offline GuyFromCO

it's old, and frankly, it pisses me off.....

Slate?

Offline RiotAct

Is 45 old?

Nah.  But too old to talk like a college sophomore who's about to chug some everclear at the latest frat party.

Offline mitlen

Nah.  But too old to talk like a college sophomore who's about to chug some everclear at the latest frat party.

True dat   :)

Offline whytev

IMHO Bob would be much better if he let the game dictate the excitement in his delivery.     FP is confusing as hell to me.    I wanna like FP.    I think he'd be a good addition to the Loft.

I love it when FP straight fact checks Bob when he says the opposite of what's true.

"Players will tell you that."
"Actually, no, it's the opposite Bob."

Offline hotshot

At least FP dropped his (in)famous "Oppo Taco" (for opposite field HRs) call that was his signature doing college games on ESPN> God, that was annoying.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Bob and FP rated as the second-worst broadcast team (behind only Hawk) for the second year in a row. Personally, I think they're okay but I guess most folks really dislike them. 

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/2017-mlb-local-broadcaster-rankings.html

I dislike them strongly because they are Angelos stooges.

Offline DPMOmaha

Bob and FP rated as the second-worst broadcast team (behind only Hawk) for the second year in a row. Personally, I think they're okay but I guess most folks really dislike them. 

http://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/2017-mlb-local-broadcaster-rankings.html
There were 64 "broadcasters" on that list. Only 2 weren't white. And all were male.

Offline nfotiu

I dislike them strongly because they are Angelos stooges.
Does that apply to anyone who works for MASN?  I haven't noticed anything particularly pro Angelos/Orioles/MASN over the years.  Personally, I think they're decent enough.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Does that apply to anyone who works for MASN?[...]

As a general rule, yes...'he who pays the piper calls the tune'.

The only one I'll cut slack for is Phil Wood, on account of his pre-Nats/2005 advocacy of baseball in Washington (apart from the late Mo Siegel his was about the only local voice in favour of baseball in Washington - and I remain amazed that Angelos continues to tolerate him).

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
There were 64 "broadcasters" on that list. Only 2 weren't white. And all were male.

Point being?

Offline DPMOmaha

Point being?
You can take that however you want.

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness
You can take that however you want.

No doubt...

How did you mean it?

Offline DPMOmaha

Just found it interesting.

Offline machpost

The Baltimore  and Minnesota announcers are great, a few (Miami, Boston, Toronto) are unlistenable, and most are unremarkable but inoffensive.
Gary Thorne's monotone delivery is great when you're watching an Orioles game and need to fall asleep.

Offline RiotAct

Gary Thorne's monotone delivery is great when you're watching an Orioles game and need to fall asleep.
He is pretty monotone, but I think he has a great voice.  Perfect "announcer's" voice.

Offline mitlen

He is pretty monotone, but I think he has a great voice.  Perfect "announcer's" voice.

I never watch an Oreos game that he does but I always thought he was a pro.

Offline Natsinpwc

I don't watch the Blos but he was a great hockey announcer IMHO.

Offline madj55

NY Appellate Court rules Nationals rights fees should be determined by MLB's RSDC, not in outside arbitration, as Orioles had hoped.

That's a win for Nationals. RSDC originally ruled Nats should get nearly $300 mil in TV rights from 2013-16.

So the Nats and O's will now have old rights fees ('12-'16) and new ('17-'21) handled by MLB RSDC, composed of three owners/execs.