Author Topic: WP: Nats MASN deal renegotations will have a huge impact  (Read 203529 times)

Offline GuyFromCO

Dammit, MASN is a joke of a network. I turned in during the 5:00 hour today. I figured that since that's the one hour of the day they're actually live with local programming and the Nats just made a huge trade, they might actually have some news. Ha! Tom Davis was talking about some donk that the Orioles had called about, then a break, then highlights of Dusty's press conference from earlier in the day. These freaking Winter Meetings are IN OUR BACKYARD and they can't even provide any coverage? There are some TV - and even some radio - stations in other markets that actually have sets set up at the Gaylord in an effort to provide their home fans with news from the meetings. MASN just needs to go away. Please.

Bankrupt those bastards! Have we heard an update lately on the lawsuit?

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Update is - this isn't getting resolved in our lifetimes. 

Offline HattoriHanzo

• expos/Nats fan since 1980

Is Angelos or the Orioles still on the hook if MASN goes bankrupt? While seeing FP and Bob getting fired and seeing the nats on a different network warms my heart, the nats don't gain anything if MASN fails and Angelos and the Orioles skirt paying the nats market value.

Offline GuyFromCO

Is Angelos or the Orioles still on the hook if MASN goes bankrupt? While seeing FP and Bob getting fired and seeing the nats on a different network warms my heart, the nats don't gain anything if MASN fails and Angelos and the Orioles skirt paying the nats market value.

I'd like to hope there's some fine lawyer speak that specifically says "Mid-Atlantic Sports Network," and it's a lay-up after that. Wishful thinking, I know!

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Appeals to be heard on March 14. Both sides are appealing. The Nats are appealing the ruling of conflict on interest on the part of their attorney who also represented MLB in other cases. This was what caused the original decision to be reversed, requiring another hearing. The Os lost on all other points, including their request to move the hearing outside of MLB, even though they "won" they are appealing most of the decision.

If all appeals are denied the case goes back to a new MLB panel. If the Nats win they get their $298 million. If the Os win the case goes to a non-MLB panel.

http://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2017/03/nats-orioles-tv-dispute-has-appellate-court-hearing-march-14/

Oh, and I have no idea how they are deciding the rights fees for 2017 since the five year period in dispute has now passed.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Carter Phillips and Paul Clement.  Two of the top private bar oral advocates.  Clement was Bush 43's solicitor general (or maybe deputy SG).  These guys are among the most frequent oral advocates in the Supreme Court. 

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
Clement was Bush 43's solicitor general (or maybe deputy SG).

He was the SG from 04-08.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
By the time this is "resolved" Bruce Harrrrper will be in a different uniform and the Nats will be the 2013 Phillies - a bunch of overpaid underperforming bums on the MLB roster with no elite talent on the farm.

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter
By the time this is "resolved" Bruce Harrrrper will be in a different uniform and the Nats will be the 2013 Phillies - a bunch of overpaid underperforming bums on the MLB roster with no elite talent on the farm.

That would be a good time to get a $500 million cash infusion.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
If all appeals are denied the case goes back to a new MLB panel. If the Nats win they get their $298 million. If the Os win the case goes to a non-MLB panel.

http://wtop.com/washington-nationals/2017/03/nats-orioles-tv-dispute-has-appellate-court-hearing-march-14/
If the Nats win their judgement for $298 million, what is the likelihood that the judgement bankrupts MASN?

I would also note that the Nats/Orioles/MASN pact insures that the Nats and Orioles get the same amount each year. Would that mean that MASN owes both teams a combined $596 M?

Offline whytev

If the Nats win their judgement for $298 million, what is the likelihood that the judgement bankrupts MASN?

I would also note that the Nats/Orioles/MASN pact insures that the Nats and Orioles get the same amount each year. Would that mean that MASN owes both teams a combined $596 M?

Yeah but they are paying the Orioles.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
That would be a good time to get a $500 million cash infusion.

just for fun, the court should order that the payment be deferred....

Online PowerBoater69

• Twitter

The MLB arbitration panel specifically picked an award amount that would not bankrupt MASN. I'm curious about the $298 million, the amount paid would be the difference in rights fees minus a reduction in the Nats profit sharing for those years.

Offline NJ Ave

The MLB arbitration panel specifically picked an award amount that would not bankrupt MASN. I'm curious about the $298 million, the amount paid would be the difference in rights fees minus a reduction in the Nats profit sharing for those years.

In addition to being a tremendous jackass, Peter Angelos is also a really shrewd guy. Of course he set up the RSN so the lion's share of the money was distributed through profits rather than rights fees - first, the Orioles had to split rights fees 50/50 and got the lion's share of the profit sharing, and second, profit sharing is excluded from revenue sharing calculations for MLB's purposes.

freak Peter Angelos. I hope the judgment DOES bankrupt MASN and he doesn't get to suck off the DMV teat into eternity like he wants.

Offline whytev

In addition to being a tremendous jackass, Peter Angelos is also a really shrewd guy. Of course he set up the RSN so the lion's share of the money was distributed through profits rather than rights fees - first, the Orioles had to split rights fees 50/50 and got the lion's share of the profit sharing, and second, profit sharing is excluded from revenue sharing calculations for MLB's purposes.

freak Peter Angelos. I hope the judgment DOES bankrupt MASN and he doesn't get to suck off the DMV teat into eternity like he wants.

I hope it bankrupts Angelos and he sells the team and it moves to Nashville or somewhere.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness
I hope it bankrupts Angelos and he sells the team and it moves to Nashville or somewhere.

Don't wish that on Nashville...it's a pretty nice place...

Offline Mattionals

His franchise should be moved to Juarez. Angelos will do fine down there.....

Offline whytev

Why don't you want a nice place to get a baseball team?

Offline DPMOmaha

I don't care if the games are on MASN or someother network. I just want a broadcast on the level I see for most other teams. It feels like the broadcast quality is about a decade behind.

Offline varoadking

• King of Goodness

So FP, Carp and Dan are back.  What about Johnny and Ray?

Offline DPMOmaha

I would assume no news means status quo.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
If Uncle Ray's not back, I'm switching to listening to C&D full time.

(Kidding, but I'd be pissed.)

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Watchin' a replay on MASN from 2005 with Proctor and Darling.    Shoot, we have no announcer problems now.      Though I do want Uncle Ray back.

Offline madj55

I don't care if the games are on MASN or someother network. I just want a broadcast on the level I see for most other teams. It feels like the broadcast quality is about a decade behind.
Yeah, the production value is brutal.

Offline whytev

Yeah, the production value is brutal.

You guys are spoiled.